Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
BambooMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 8 Day Cruise...HELP

I really hate sposies too, but I think this is one time where I think you should be glad you live in a time where sposies are an option and take advantage of it. I think I'd also be kind of afraid I'd lose a dipe in all the hubbub. If you do do cloth, DON'T take your favorite/expensive dipes, just in case something weird happens.

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #12
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

we had to leave town really fast a couple weeks ago for a funeral, and i left an almost entirely full pail of dirty diapers here. we were gone for 6 days and some of those diapers had been in there longer than that. it was smelly but they were ok after a really thorough washing.

so i think you probably wouldn't really have too much trouble with staining/smell even if you couldn't wash.

however, personally i just would want to have to travel with that many dirty diapers. having stewed a few bags of dirties in the trunk of the car on trips before, that's just not a fun thing to me.

i agree with the PP that there are some times that sposies (however yucky) are called for. it's sort of like how i feel about paper plates. i wouldn't want to serve thanksgiving dinner on them, but they've got their place. for example on that trip i mentioned for the funeral - i decided to do sposies even though i totally could have washed, etc. while we were gone. i just didn't want to have to deal with it.

anyway, enjoy your cruise though! sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
sunshinebabies3
Registered Users
seller

we are going to disney with the babies in a month and I have been wondering this too. we will be gone for about 6 days. I am thinking of goin g with TUshies. I think they are less chemically laden than pampers, etc.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
BambooMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah, 7th generation still have the gel, but they're pretty nice to use too. I won't use anything else if we have to use sposies.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #15
HappyHeinys
Registered Users

Leave the fancy diapers at home and use covers and prefolds or pockets and prefolds.
You can handwash the covers/pockets and the fill the tub and wash the prefolds in the tub. Ring them out super well and hang dry. Just bring a little bit of your own soap.

We have not done this on a cruise but we did do almost 21 days to yellowstone and back a few years ago and this was essentially what I did only I was using the spigots at the various campsites.

It's not the same as washing in the washer but it works and it keeps the babe out of any 'sposie.
www.happyheinys.com
HappyHeinys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #16
jaseyandmallorysmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHeinys
Leave the fancy diapers at home and use covers and prefolds or pockets and prefolds.
You can handwash the covers/pockets and the fill the tub and wash the prefolds in the tub. Ring them out super well and hang dry. Just bring a little bit of your own soap.

We have not done this on a cruise but we did do almost 21 days to yellowstone and back a few years ago and this was essentially what I did only I was using the spigots at the various campsites.

It's not the same as washing in the washer but it works and it keeps the babe out of any 'sposie.
I was just going to suggest that. I use pockets and have enough to go two weeks w/o washing. I risned in the tub every night and just hung them over a rack to dry. I didn't consider those clean and didn't reuse those, but at least they didn't stink or have stains by the end of the trip. Then I just washed them all when we got home.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #17
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can also try G diapers. Have you heard of these? They have gotten some good reviews. People also like to use them in the hospital until baby comes home, etc.

Essentially they are a washable cover with FLUSHABLE snap-in liners. You can hand wash the covers if you are in a pinch or you can wash them with your regular laundry.

Personally, I think these are the best way to go if you are considering using sposies. You have the convenience of sposies without the harm to the environement.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can send you more info. I also sell these diapers if you want to purchase from me, otherwise you can purchase on a number of places online.

Jessica

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote