Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I hate pumping

I've been a pumper since returning to work when we was 6 weeks...he is now 15 months. I don't like to pump....but I have to do it!

Advertisement

debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
SublimeBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: hypnomom
seller

My Mood:

I totally hear you, Mama. I'd be happy to never see a pump again, but am so greatful that we have such great pumps nowadays that let mamas keep up the nursing relationship even when they have to be separated from their babes.

It is so great of you to do this for your kiddo.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Priscella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, think, I loved to nurse my son, it was such great bonding, and when I would come home that first nursing session actually felt so good to me, to have a nice comforting latch instead of a pump.

I just knew that if I didn't pump I couldn't come home to my son and nurse him and have that loving relationship, and I wouldn't give that relationship up for the world, so if pumping is what gives me that, then so be it.
Doula and CBE In Training (CBI)
Priscella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It really can be a good thing (besides the obvious of getting to feed your LO with BM while you're away!) ... but I have found that I really enjoy those 15 minute breaks from work - I can close out the world and delve into a good book! Right now I'm almost done with my Harry Potter book 7. I bought it the week I had dd, thinking I'd be home for 2 weeks with nothing better to do, and then the book sat on the shelf... but now I find that I get more milk if I DO something (read) during the time instead of looking at the bottles waiting for them to fill. Try finding some good in the situation

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
pmills4
Registered Users

I hear ya about hating to pump. I do it 24 hours a day 5 days a week. I only see my dd on weekends when I can drive up to see her. We are determined to keep her a 100% breast fed baby though so I pump for her during the week when I can't be with her.
pmills4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #16
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pump twice a day at work so ds has enough milk for the next day. At first i hated it because it was such a chore, especially since I have to go down two different elevator banks just to get to my designated room. But now, I bring a magazine, and it's turned into a nice little break from actual work ;D I can sit, relax, read a little bit, and then head back to work.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #17
TempoHasPaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Call me crazy but I've been pumping 10x a day for 20 minutes at a time for 20 months now, and I love pumping My daughter was born with a malformed palate and couldn't nurse so I've been pumping from day one. The day I got my own lactina, I hugged it I was just so happy! I'm not sure I'll ever quit
Old 03-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Hey everyone,
Yeah, you are right, it is a means to an end I want. I am still fiddling with the settings hoping it will get a little more comfortable. It makes my nipples hurt some. I think it would be much more rewarding if I could get enough for him, but I can't. I am doing good to get 2 oz from both breasts...we were having to supplement anyway, but there are times I wonder if it is even worth it. I am going to stick out the pumping for at least 2 months though. Part breastmilk is better than nothing! I am very lucky to be able to pump at my desk whenever I want to. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #19
Priscella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You say your nipples hurt? A little bit might be expected, especially if you have it full force. I would start out on a softer, quicker suction (to imitate baby when they first latch) and then up it towards the end. Also make sure you have the correct size shields for yourself.

Mine were to small, and it was causiang irritation from rubbing against the sides. Once I ordered the bigger ones, what a difference, pumping didn't seem so half bad anymore.
Doula and CBE In Training (CBI)

Last edited by Priscella; 03-30-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Priscella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #20
SublimeBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: hypnomom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
Hey everyone,
Yeah, you are right, it is a means to an end I want. I am still fiddling with the settings hoping it will get a little more comfortable. It makes my nipples hurt some. I think it would be much more rewarding if I could get enough for him, but I can't. I am doing good to get 2 oz from both breasts...we were having to supplement anyway, but there are times I wonder if it is even worth it. I am going to stick out the pumping for at least 2 months though. Part breastmilk is better than nothing! I am very lucky to be able to pump at my desk whenever I want to. Thanks for the encouragement!
Hey Mama,
Maybe this can help you. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

It really helped me in those early days.