Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
meamom
Registered Users

Potentially one of the more stupid questions but I need to ask

How do you keep your LO from going to their dresser drawers and pulling all of their clothes out? Seriously.

Do you put child locks on the drawers? Do you just let them and hope it's a phase? Or do you just constantly redirect?

We just moved DD into a new and bigger room and for the first time ever, there's room to actually PLAY in the room. But she is constantly going to her dresser and opening the drawers to pull out clothes.

I've tried redirecting her to no avail. I'm starting to feel like a really stupid mother for not knowing how to handle this. I actually told my DH tonight that I was going to swallow my pride and just ask you all what to do even if it makes me look stupid!

So please give me some advice!

Advertisement

Cara ~ mama to Lila Wren (b. 1/16/07) and Rosalie Pearl (b. 5/11/08 six weeks early)
Come visit my mama blog!
meamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
mamatutugirls
Registered Users
seller

Re: Potentially one of the more stupid questions but I need to ask

I wish I had good advice! My 2 and 4 year old get into their drawers 50 times a day and change clothes.

Maybe have a little bucket with some of her clothes in it and let her go through that. She can take them out and put them back it without it being an entire drawer. Of course what she probably likes is opening and closing the drawer too!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
meamom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatutugirls View Post
Of course what she probably likes is opening and closing the drawer too!
Yes! This is exactly the problem I think.

Cara ~ mama to Lila Wren (b. 1/16/07) and Rosalie Pearl (b. 5/11/08 six weeks early)
Come visit my mama blog!
meamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Diaper Change
Time for a Diaper Change
seller

My Mood:

IDK if ya'll figure something out I'm interested too!
Mine still do it

"It's time for a Diaper Change"
Diaper Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

if its actually a play room I would add child locks to the clothes drawers.

We don't have that problem just because his room is upstairs and we dont play up there. But i would definitely put locks on the drawers and be done with it. I mean it would easier than having to go back and refold all the clothes in every drawer all day long
Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
pigletmsu
Registered Users

I took DD's dresser out of her room after the 3rd time she emptied it. I was tired of refolding all those clothes, so I put it in DS's room. After about 3 months of it in DS's room, I moved it back to hers because I needed to put the baby in DS's room and there wasn't enough room for the crib and the extra dresser. Never had a problem since. I thought about child locks, but the wood isn't sturdy enough for it. I tried turning it around to face the wall, but I don't really like having to actually move an entire dresser to get her clothes out of it each morning.

I totally understand how frustrating it is and I hope she outgrows the habit soon.

ETA: I thought you might enjoy some pictures of what my kids can do. LOL!

Last edited by pigletmsu; 03-31-2008 at 09:13 PM.
pigletmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We keep the bedroom door closed and have a door knob safety lock on the door, do the LO's can't open the bedroom door.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
emmiebaur
Registered Users
seller

When DD started doing that, I put toys in the drawers she could reach and put clothes on top of the shelves in the closet until she was disinterested. HTH!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #9
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Anything the empties out, she must clean up.

So if she empties her drawers, she has to put everything back. In the right place. – I don’t worry about folding so much. Its really cut down on the # of times she empties the drawers.

I absolutely would not turn it around. I have all dressers and furniture bolted to the wall. This is my ‘thing’. About 5 years ago, the dd of a friend of mine was climbing onto her dresser to get a video and the tv fell on her. Massive brain damage. She’s deaf in 1 ear and blind in 1 eye. Lucky to be alive. Just this am, I read about the friend of someone on one of my other boards who’s 2yo son died yesterday when his dresser fell on him as he was climbing into a drawer.

I’d rather put the clothes away a million times than face that.

Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is getting to where he can put things up, however there was a point he couldn't and he doesn't pull out his clothes right now because they are all on the floor in a little trundle thing that went under the crib we had...his originall dresser kept getting off track and I accidently tore the front off of one of them and although it was a cheap peice of junk (particle board dresser from walmart), as he got older it just wasn't durable enough and we put it to the curb. We're getting another dresser, but may take a few weeks to get it here.

back to your issue...if you don't want them to get to it , but not sure about them cleaning up, but still want them to be able to play in their room., I'd think about investing in some safety latches. One have it strapped to the wall so you know they can't pull it down, and two, there are several types of latches for drawers and things that open. We have this little strap thing on our refridgerator that all we do is press this little button and open the door. I didn't like it at first cuz I'd forget it was on and couldn't open the fridge...however we got used to it and DS can't open the fridge and climb in or go hunting.

in our room dh has a different type of latch for the drawers in the nightstand...those work great imo for dressers.