Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #11
lizanneh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Im in shock (death post-a lil on topic)

My DH liked watching his show, and I could never watch it (even though I love reptiles) because I was so shocked by his lack of concern for his own safety. I mean, lots of people work with dangerous animals, but he took simply unbelievable risks.

It's sad that he's gone, but I knew it had to happen someday. Just about every famous naturalist that has worked with highly dangerous animals I've heard about died due to an accident or attack from their animals.

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 08:20 AM   #12
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

I feel very sad for his family.

Flame me if you will but I did not agree with his lifestyle. Dh and I have talked about this before. He was doing things that IMO were irresponsible for a parent to do. Your kids have to come first and he was putting himself in unecessary danger.

My dh would argue that he could be killed walking across the street. To that I say, accidents do happen yes. But if he was jumping out in front of a bus for the thrill of it, a different story entirely.
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #13
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am shocked too... regardless of his lifestyle... I feel aweful for his family.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:32 AM   #14
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momovthree
I feel very sad for his family.

Flame me if you will but I did not agree with his lifestyle. Dh and I have talked about this before. He was doing things that IMO were irresponsible for a parent to do. Your kids have to come first and he was putting himself in unecessary danger.

My dh would argue that he could be killed walking across the street. To that I say, accidents do happen yes. But if he was jumping out in front of a bus for the thrill of it, a different story entirely.

ITA - esp. when the episode I saw he *was* dancing his child around a croc pen like you would dance them around your living room floor, on his/her feet, not just feeding the animal a chicken while holding the baby. Made me want to crawl through the screen and save that child! But as you said, I don't want to be flamed either for my opinion, and I still do feel bad for his family....no one deserves to lose a husband and a father regardless of the situation or lifestyle.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #15
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooCrew10

ITA - esp. when the episode I saw he *was* dancing his child around a croc pen like you would dance them around your living room floor, on his/her feet, not just feeding the animal a chicken while holding the baby. Made me want to crawl through the screen and save that child! But as you said, I don't want to be flamed either for my opinion, and I still do feel bad for his family....no one deserves to lose a husband and a father regardless of the situation or lifestyle.
ITA...I can only imagine what his family is going through right now. My heart goes out to them.
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know what he did was terribly dangerous...but I still felt terrible that he lost his life and that his children and wife lost their father/husband.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #17
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I think that some of you who feel like he was irresponsible don't reallize that any time he was in the croc area there were other handlers in there at the same time. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they weren't there. He was the star and the camera was on him, but he had backup in there. He brought about awareness of animal issues and had a true respect for those animals and the dangers that went along with them. This accident w/ the stingray was probably one of the most freak accidents ever, to get hit by a barb at just the right spot to puncture his heart, no one could have ever imagined something so rare.

He truely loved his family and on many of his shows he talked about making sure they were safe as well as himself. He may have seemed reckless because of his personality but he was actually very careful, he and his wife have both said that many times.

God bless his family as they morn the loss of a husband and father. How truely terrible.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #18
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

His wife and children, and the rest of those who loved him, ae in my prayers. It's very sad and unexpected
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #19
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrsmom
If that's all you knew growing up, don't you think you would do it as well? To him, that was his "JOB" There are many jobs that you can get killed doing like being a cop, firefighter, the ppl over in the war, the list goes on and on..I guess all of those ppl don't have their priorities straight either huh?
I completely agree. Many people die doing their jobs, and for the most part they are thought of as heros. A good father dying is tragic, and I don't understand the "Well, that's what you get" attitude. It's harsh. Would people say that about my dh if he died while he was deployed?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #20
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:

Man...I'm totally not in the mood for a debate so I'm going to bite my tongue. Suffice to say a mama and two kidlets have lost him, and I am sad for them. It's not my place to judge whether he "deserved" it or not.