Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2006, 12:54 AM   #1
mooandme
Registered Users

questions I haven't found answers to...

Holy Cow!! I think Im a DS addict. I have been on here for 5 hours. That is insane...wait...that is devotion.

So I've been reading tons and tons of posts about dying. I plan to use the dylon dyes for my thirsties prefolds when they arrive. Here are my questions.
  • Will washing them in a machine cause the color to be uneven?
  • I want to do many different colors. Do I have to rinse the dye from them seperately?
  • Is table salt a fixer?
  • How many rinses will it take to get the color to stop bleeding?
  • Do I have to "fluff wash" the diapers first or can I dye them before I go through the madatory fluffy washes?
  • How long does all this take if Im just dying all of them one color each?

Advertisement

Last edited by mooandme; 09-04-2006 at 08:43 AM.
mooandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
marķa
Banned

My Mood:
Re: I really need to go to bed, just one more

i dont know,but i like to know too
marķa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
mooandme
Registered Users

Old 09-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
mooandme
Registered Users

bump
Old 09-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
daniels_mami
Banned
seller

My Mood:

daniels_mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: questions I haven't found answers to...

i've only used dylon a little bit - for a shirt. and i have some motherease OS & some other shirts that someone else dyed with dylon for me. the colors have definitely faded somewhat with lots of washing.

hth a little bit.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
mama23boys
Banned
seller

what i do is full my sink on side with warm water and 2 tblsp of TABLE salt, mix the dylon dye withn 4 cups of warm water seperatly mix well, ADD to sink water.

get your PFs wet, wring out THEN add to dye mixture (you should have enough water in your sink so that they move freely) by hand agiate for 15 min then soak for 45 agiating every so many min. after that wring them out and rinse in cold water (by hand) to till runs clear. wash in hot (i do an extra rinse) and dry!

when i am washing/drying i will start another color. i dont like to wash newly dyed yellow AND green together bc of bleeding issues.

so far i have done lime green, blue and red PFs and i havent had any fading issues

now all this said you need to wash your PFs before dye. DONT try to dye brand new PFs bc the oils on them wont let the dye take.

each dylon packet will prob do about 4 pfs any more then that and the colors start coming pastely/light.

HTH

ETA: i've NEVER dyed them in the machine and make sure you WEAR gloves, unless you want colored hands

Last edited by mama23boys; 09-04-2006 at 10:51 AM.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
bikruca
Registered Users

• Will washing them in a machine cause the color to be uneven?

If the colour has set and is 'fixed' machine washing shouldn't effect how even it is.. it will probably fade evenly..
  • I want to do many different colors. Do I have to rinse the dye from them seperately?

I would- the colour might be less vibrant if it gets muddled with even a bit of something else.. ie. a little bit of blue dye in orange will make it so murky, so to be on the safe side I would rinse seprately
  • Is table salt a fixer?
    don't know the answer to this one!
  • How many rinses will it take to get the color to stop bleeding?

A LOT
  • Do I have to "fluff wash" the diapers first or can I dye them before I go through the madatory fluffy washes?

I would because the same natural oils that prevent prefolds from absorbing urine before being washed may prevent them from soaking up all the dye
  • How long does all this take if Im just dying all of them one color each?
I had a dying party with some of my friends- we made a bucket of each colour and threw whatever we wanted dyed in there (some people did T-shirts, underwear ect) it was super fun and not a lot of waste..

I I was to do this by myself I would get ziplock containers and make just enough dye to soak one prefold . put each prefold in it's own container and put the lid on, stack them up in a closet and let them soak.. the longer they sit the more vibrant they will be..

Then rinse them out in their own container...

It will be an all day project