Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
cdnewbie
Registered Users
seller

How often do you (did you) bf your 13 month old?

I'm curious how many times a day you nurse (or nursed) your DC at 13 months.

I'm sad that we just cut down to two times a day--once at bedtime and once in the early morning (5-6AM) to buy a couple extra hours of sleep. It makes me sad because 1) it means my baby is growing up! and 2) because it's not driven by him--he would still nurse several times a day I'm sure. But I feel like I have to cut down because of my work schedule (it's hard to get home during the day to nurse him) but more importantly, because we're going to want to TTC #2 at some point, and I've only had one period (after I cut down to 3x a day).

Anyhow, just wanted to hear your experiences and maybe get some support. I don't have any mommy friends who have nursed nearly as long as I have. And I know that I'm lucky to have nursed him this long. But I'm still sad.

Angela

Advertisement

cdnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
Drummer's Wife
Registered Users

Re: How often do you (did you) bf your 13 month old?

my 14 month old still nurses 8+ times a day but I am a sahm and he has a cow's milk allergy and seems to be sensitive to many foods. He isn't a big eater so he gets the majority of his nutrients from breastfeeding. I did just start my period when he was around 12 months which was right around the time he became interested in solids.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

my 14 month old is down to about 2 times a day now too, late night and early morning, i think once she became more active she just decided she doesnt have time or something..lol
i'mmsorry your saddend by the slow weaning of your baby but know that you did a wonderful job
and just keep offering
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

If it's any comfort, lots of little ones continue those last two feedings for a LONG time before slowly, gently, gradually dropping them. If you want it to, it can remain a wonderful way to start and end his day for as long as you both want!
Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
ReagansMommy
Registered Users
seller

I'm a WOHM mom. My almost 16-month old (eek!) nurses twice a day during the week, but off and on all day on the weekends. Works for us
Old 05-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nate is still at around 6/7 times a day and then 2/3 at night. He just plays with most of his food though. It's just something for him to do in his high chair while WE have dinner! LOL
Old 05-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #7
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

when dd was 13 months we were still nursing probaby at least 4x a day (and that's for serious get down to business nursing...i'm not counting her pit stops) and then 1-2x a night. and it was often more than that. however, at 13 months dd wasn't a huge solids eater either.

hth,
katie
Old 05-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

At 13m she was nursing 4-5 times a day and 3 at night. Now at 19m she nursed 2-3 times a day and 2 at night. But they can hold on to that morning and night nurse for a long time. I am a sahm though so it doesn't bother me to have her still nursing pretty frequently.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #9
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

my ds is 14 mo and nurses many times at night, like 5-6? I wish night weaning would be easier. I know it would involve some CIO and that wakes up the house so I'm hanging in there. During the day I'd say 4+ times. He sits down to meals and eats solids and drinks a little cow's milk from a cup. I'm having problems with reoccurant blocked ducts and mastitis so I'm fearful of cutting the feedings down.

I've read and heard lots that even if toddlers have 1-2 BF a day the good stuff like antibodies and essential fatty acids are concentrated into those feedings. So however much you BF there's about the same benefits. It's called the parting gift.
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
i0lanthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmolly
my ds is 14 mo and nurses many times at night, like 5-6? I wish night weaning would be easier. I know it would involve some CIO and that wakes up the house so I'm hanging in there.
I've heard some people have "no-cry" success by time-limiting the night feedings and decreasing the time before you pop 'em off the breast and eventually they decide that it's not worth waking up for. I would love to try that except I don't think I'm conscious enough for it at, like, 4am (every morning it's "hmm thought I put her in the crib at 11pm and yet here she is" ) plus dd gets royally peeved when I take her off before she thinks she is done. So YMMV.
i0lanthe is offline   Reply With Quote