Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
mamabug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Membrane stripping

I went to see my MW yesterday for my 38 wk appt. She checked me and said I was 2.5cm, my cervix was still fairly thick, but very soft! Then she asked me if I wanted her to strip me. I said sure! Has anyone had this done? Does it work? Just curious!! I am ready to go any time, but with my other dc, I usually went full-term! (2 were on due date, 2 were 3 days early!)

Advertisement

Loving wife to my best friend, Kevin, BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing, Non-vaxing, babyfood making, knitting, Christian SAHM to Randi 10/94 , Heaven 3/96 , Sheldon 7/98 , Peyton 5/00 and Little Kason born Sept 20, 2006!!
mamabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Membrane stripping

I've never had it done but I hear it hurts after and doesn't usually work. Hopefull someone with real experience can chime in.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
hacandsac
Registered Users
seller

I had it done with DS it hurt and it didn't work. Later I learned that I can cause you cervix to become irritable and can delay labor

Last edited by hacandsac; 09-06-2006 at 08:52 AM.
hacandsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it done twice and it didn't work. Just hurt!

But I wasn't dialated at all when she did it. So, that might make a difference.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it done. 3 days before my due date, i was dilated to 3, and 50% effaced and it was a full moon, and i walked, curb-hop style for 3 miles that night and NOTHING!!!! I was induced a few days later....

NOTHING will work, until your baby decides its time... Be patient mama....
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Well, minority again

I was already dilated to 2cm's with a favorable cervix (soft) and helped that happen with EPO (evening primrose oil) for a few weeks in advance to that.

If the doc is gentle and thorough, it doens't have to hurt I had it done with Nate on a Friday and I was in labor by noon Sunday and 6 hours later he was born. 3 days early and I NEVER go early so I was sold on membrane sweeps
Old 09-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

i was overdue 9 days and when i saw my dr i was so uncomfortable and begged her to induce me (long story short this was my first visit with her my regular dr went on holidays) but she said she wouldn't. at the end of the visit she did an internal exam and then as i was getting up she said 'well i stripped your membranes' I didn't feel a thing!!! when my regular dr did it with DD i was in extreme pain!! but then she proceeded to say take castor oil and i'll see you tonight and she did!! 8 hours later i was feeling tightenings and 5 hours after that i was in active labour and three hours later i was holding my son!!!! she is a very aggressive but gentle dr! i will be under her care for any and all my future children!
hope it works for you! good luck
Old 09-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I had my membranes stripped and my cervix was not favorable (not dilated nor efaced), but they wanted me to go into labor early cause they thought the baby was getting to big for me! Anyway... I had my membranes stripped in the afternoon on Thursday and had my baby at 6:00 pm on Friday!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
Monkeylunchkin
Registered Users
seller

I had my membranes stripped a few days before my due date with DD. I had been at 1cm for a couple of weeks and DD's head was engaged, but I wasn't effaced. It hurt like crazy and I was cramping quite a bit afterwards. My waters broke late that night and I had DD the following afternoon. I don't really believe it was the stripping that did it though - I really think it was coincidence. I don't think I'll do it this time around...
Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

I have never had it done, but to me it doesn't sound very "natural" . does that make sense?? your baby will come when it is ready without it.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote