Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
whiterabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bottlefeeding help

So I went back to work last week and pumping is going well. The problem is DS won't drink from the bottle. Any bottle. Grandma's tried everything but he won't suck or eat until I get there. She's tried spoon feeding, syringe feeding, you name it, she's probably tried it. I'm gone for about 8 to 9 hours so I'm beginning to freak out.

We tried the bottle when he was younger and he had no problems with it. Now at almost five months, he's driving me to the brink of tears everytime we try. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Advertisement

I love ducks and bunnies. Especially bunnies.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
shell015
Banned
seller

Re: Bottlefeeding help

Have her try to hold him close to her breast while putting the bottle in. Also if you could take the shirt that you wore the day before and lay it over her shoulder and onto her breast it will smell more like you and he may be more willing to take it. HTH
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
arnefur
Registered Users

My Mood:

Have you tried the soothie brand of bottles? DS wouldn't drink from anything else for the longest time. He was also ready for the sippy cup at 4 months and had completely weaned himself from the bottle by 5 months (just my experience, not sure how that would work with BFing though)
arnefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had the SAME PROBLEM

The ONLY thing that worked was an original playtex nurser with the drop-in sleeves and the LATEX, not silicone nipple.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gatewa...&subcatid=2059

This was the only thing she would take. She took a bottle fine when she was young then I got lazy with bottles because bf is so much eaiser, then she refused to take a bottle.

We tried everyday for a few days. Try when she is getting hungry, not when she is really hungry. The first few times she would only take it from me, and only if she was a little distracted, reading a book or watching TV. Who knew?

Good luck. Just experiment and try to stay relaxed about it. He can sense your tension and that will upset him.

Last edited by Timetodance; 09-04-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
momof4
Registered Users
seller

The distraction thing is a great idea! I had this problem with dd when she was a baby. She went through about a week of driving us all crazy, then apparently realized that if she was hungry, she was going to have to accept the bottle, and settled down. I have no idea if it was that particular brand (we tried a bunch, but had tried that one before), or if she just settled in. Hang in there -- it will get better!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
halyled
Registered Users
seller

I mentioned this in a thread about pacifying earlier, but it works here, too. A few months ago when I had surgery DS needed to drink expressed milk from a bottle, and he kept refusing to take it. What worked for me was placing my pinky finger in his mouth so that the tip was touching the roof of his mouth. For some reason, something touching the roof of baby's mouth is a signal to suck, I know I've read this somewhere). When DS began to suck, I pulled a switch and gave him the bottle and he finally latched on to it and ate. Hope you find something that works...good luck!

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
vanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

breastbottle? Adiri one? I have one I used a couple times, I was impressed with it.
Anna 5/16/04
Sara 7/11/06
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
whiterabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A quick update.. it's the end of the week and he still refuses to drink. He'll suck but won't swallow.

I've tried pretty much all the suggestions and thanks everyone. Just send out some good thoughts for next week! It's a good thing he's pretty chunky to begin with.

I love ducks and bunnies. Especially bunnies.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla
breastbottle? Adiri one? I have one I used a couple times, I was impressed with it.
I second this suggestion. I was just told about this from my LLL leader, so it must be worth trying!
I plan to purchase one myself, in hopes my daughter might actually take a bottle (since she has refused one for two weeks now).