Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Musty wipes in the wipes warmer?

Not sure if cloth wipes is on topic or off topic... but here you go. I tried to do a search, but nothing came up that was exactly what I needed.. so sorry to be redundant.

Okay.. so, we have a Lionheart wipes warmer with my cloth wipes. I started to use a WAHM-made wipe solution on them and all of the sudden they are butt-funky musty! Honestly, they smell worse than the diapers I change! I never had this problem when I just used water. The solution had only been on the wipes for one day. I made up one cup of warm water then added the little chunk of solution and let it dissolve, then poured it over a stack of wipes in the warmer. The next morning.. FUNKY!

So.... how do I get rid of the funk in my wipes warmer? I know I can just wash my wipes with borax or baking soda... do you all think maybe leaving some water and baking soda in the warmer would get rid of the smell? Anyone else have this happen to them? I feel awful becasue it's really turned my gung-ho DH (who actually GAVE AWAY some of my cloth diapers that were in the FSOT to his friend.... he's that pro-CD) into not wanting to use the cloth wipes... eeek!!

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
clothluvinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Musty wipes in the wipes warmer?

i'm not sure i'd try stripping them just like dipes, thats why i've never used a solution in my warmer, the funk is horrible, i used baby soap in mine once and it got pretty nasty smelling so i quit and washed them all...but i've never used any other solution.....but yeah i'd try stripping in hot water w/ a touch of dawn...
Old 09-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Hmm... what about the warmer itself?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
mama23boys
Banned
seller

i found that if my wipes were left in the warmer too long they got like this. so i just started keeping them seperate and wetting them in the warmer when i needed them.

in between wipe mixtures i let the warmer air out for a bit and since then if i've kept them separte i havent had any issues.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
wordgirl
Registered Users
seller

i never had much luck keeping wipes in the warmer un-funky, even with ample tto that i figured would surely keep any funkiness away. ick. so i gave up and now just run warm water onto a wipe as needed.

but i'd guess a cleaning with baking soda like you mentioned should probably remove the leftover funk.

eta: maybe i should try pp's method... did seem that just the water/eo mixture was okay when i ran out of wipes.

Last edited by wordgirl; 09-04-2006 at 09:20 PM.
wordgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm...I have the same warmer and use either Dixie Drops in boiled water (I use more than a cup, tho) or my own solution (boiled water, baby wash, TTO, lavender oil and apricot oil)--poured onto the wipes, then squeezed out and folded into the warmer. I've never had a funk problem. I usually use up all of the wipes within 2-2.5 days, so they never sit longer than that. Even the ones in my travel bag don't get funky, tho.
Think boiling the water (or using distilled) will help?
Old 09-05-2006, 04:47 AM   #7
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a warmer, but I think soaking it with baking soda or oxyclean should work.

I have luck with Dixie Drops in a spray bottle. I use boiling water to make the solution and pour it into a spray bottle. Then wet wipes as I need to.

Good luck. Sorry you have stinky wipes!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:49 AM   #8
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont use a warmer (maybe keeping the wipes at that temp is encouraging the smell?). I also use a bit more water when I make my dixie drops & use water I've run through my coffee pot & I can keep my wipes wet in a sposie container for about 3-4 days before I run out. I also only wet 10 at a time & keep the leftover solution to wet more when I run out or to spray a wipe a bit wetter if its a really messy poop.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the suggestions concerning not using the warmer.... BUT.. DS has GOT to have warm wipes. The cold wipes send him into a frenzy still. Anyone have any suggestions actually USING a wipes warmer???

PS... if anyone knows this... Can the Lionheart diaper depot connect to the side of a changing table?? thanks!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #10
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00
Thanks for the suggestions concerning not using the warmer.... BUT.. DS has GOT to have warm wipes. The cold wipes send him into a frenzy still. Anyone have any suggestions actually USING a wipes warmer???

PS... if anyone knows this... Can the Lionheart diaper depot connect to the side of a changing table?? thanks!
I use a warmer and I typically don't have problems with it. I use a Dixie Drop dissolved in boiling water which I pour over. (I also add a little extra water than the 1 cup.) The way my warmer is setup (it's a Munchkin that I got at Target), the warmer is in the lid, and the bottom part separates for cleaning. I have to change wipes and make new solution every day and a half or so, so I always make sure to wipe it out thoroughly with a dry wipe and then rinse it well with hot water (I wash it with dish soap once a week or so) and dry it out again before I "make" a new batch of wipes. It is probably overkill, but I can't stand funky smells!

And re: diaper depot, it is supposed to fit, but it didn't fit on my changing table. My end rail, or whatever it's called, is too thick for it to fit over, and I have a small drawer directly underneath the changing pad that I want access to, so I can't put it on the front. Instead, I have one of those stacked plastic drawers towers (Sterilite, I think) from Wal-mart that I have sitting beside my changing table (with a couple of extra drawers stacked on top and "stuck" together with sticky pads) that I have my warmer on top of. It is handy for extra storage, and it's convenient for my warmer. HTH!
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here

Last edited by rebeccah5; 09-05-2006 at 02:32 PM.
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote