Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
Carrie
Registered Users

Re: am I a bad mom? TV question

I agree with the other posters...I had a routine when I was in kindy and 1st where I would watch tv during breakfast in the play room. My mom had a new baby then. I'm sure he watched with me half the time. We are very smart and productive people now!

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #12
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

While studies are saying NO tv under 2 or 3...
...we all have to survive!! we have to do what we have to do to get through the day!! you are the one that knows best what your family needs to run well!! A half hour of tv a day is by no means a full time babysitter!!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #13
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well I am AP and my kids watch tv.. LOL I see no harm in it and how could 30 mins 3 times a week or even once a day be harmful?!?!

Meghan is 8 1/2 months and loves sponge bob..
Old 05-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #14
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

I totally use the TV as a babysitter in the morning to get stuff ready. I also think it helps DS get himself awake and ready for the day. The baby watches with him. DS is advanced verbally and I know TV helped that.

Also, you know...DS1 never would have gotten a little brother if not for his Thomas videos. Don't beat yourself up over it. Use your instincts and you'll know when they watch too much TV.
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #15
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryandrew
Also, you know...DS1 never would have gotten a little brother if not for his Thomas videos. Don't beat yourself up over it. Use your instincts and you'll know when they watch too much TV.
I love that! LOL! I can sympathize
I feel guilty about it, but honestly mornings are so nuts I have to do something. Thanks for making me feel better!
Old 05-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #16
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh and I forgot to mention, my older dd does watch way too much tv... the problem is she is really physically limited and there honestly isnt too much she can do! So she has lots of movies. I do read to her alot, and she listens to books on tape alot too, but still! Thats why I worry, I dont want our baby dd to get in that habit.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #17
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

Hmm, thanks for asking that question! Here is the way I look at it, I AM NOT ABUSING HER BY LETTING HER WATCH DORA! I hate it when new things are considered bad ! Just because television is a modern invention does not make it bad! As long as it is age appropriate who cares! My girl is brilliant, far beyond her age. However, a friend of hers that has no tv is almost 4 and her language skills aren't comparable (she is just now starting to combine words and phrases). Go figure? I am not saying anything bad about her, I know all kids learn differently, I am just saying that tv won't make your kids dumb. People who claim to be "perfect" in parenting are suffering the most because they are in denial. To themselves and to others.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:02 AM   #18
woolfulcomforts
Registered Users

My Mood:

well TV can make things easier. but we choose not to use it for our children..

i will set them up in their room with a game or something if im doing dishes or need to get the baby dress or whatever. but we dont use the TV..

i use to let me boys watch TV when i was prego with Jasper and on bedrest and it took all their modivation away. they didnt want to play or read their books or draw or anything they just kept asking for the TV.. now we dont ever turn it on.

it has done loads for my relationship with my kids..

i know when i use to watch TV i was such a slug and i started to see my kids turn like that.

i only watch now TV once a week to watch LOST.. i love that show.
the kids watch a 25 min. kids learning program in the afternoon and most of the time now they forget. before they where just waiting for that show to come on...

i will say that at first when we decided to be pretty much TV free it was a bit hard.. but it took about 2 weeks and my kids dont even miss it and i love life without it.

we where one day locked out of our house so i drove to our BIL house . they have cable and the TV is on the kids network or whatever the entire day. i swear after 2 hours my kids eyes where all red and they had headaches. and just wanted to go outside

i was so proud of them.. i really noticed that not having TV at home works well for us and my kids are much better off without it..
woolfulcomforts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:24 AM   #19
Ilovemycritters
Registered Users

The tv is always on in my house on Nick Jr for background noise but my 3 yr old doesn't watch it, and if he does is early morning once he wakes up to watch only Dora. The baby who's 11 months soon on the 16th watches Dora with him for half an hour, but we don't put her ALL day to watch it because she prefers to crawl all day instead. We have a big living room so she's constantly crawling around the house (thank god for child proof things!!), and my 3 yr old is a tall slim boy who's always playing outside. My son has learned a lot from tv, and I also read to him and we play together. My daughter knows sign language by me and clapping by Dora, and it helps my son to keep up with his spanish since I'm also latin by parents.

I don't think there is anything wrong

It actually helps me relax or nap for 30 minutes as they watch because my daughter doesnt even sleep at night because her teething
Ilovemycritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:42 AM   #20
meco
Registered Users

I agree it is up to the parent. We do not watch TV, only videos (no commercials and you can avoid licensed stuff that way). My son can self regulate, and he tends to only watch it sometimes.

A guideline I know of though and keep in mind when it comes to TV:
Until more research is done about the effects of TV on very young children, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) does not recommend television for children age 2 or younger. For older children, the Academy recommends no more than 1 to 2 hours per day of educational, nonviolent programs.

http://www.aap.org/family/tv1.htm

I do not think it makes anyone a bad parent, we all do what we need to do. Sometimes that means going with your instincts versus recommendations. I think the key is moderation, anything can be overused. Used minimally for sanity seems to be ok to me.
meco is offline   Reply With Quote