Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
SkyVan
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Goat's Rue

Does anyone use goat's rue while preg to help develop glandular tissue? I had very low supply my 1st baby, pumped, took herbs, took domperidone, did acupuncture, the whole 9 yards and finally gave up after 4 months of heartbreaking work. I really want to BF this time around, and heard there are things you can do while still preg to increase your chances. Any advice?

Advertisement

SkyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Goat's Rue

I have never taken it during pregnancy, but I have heard of it being done. I just wanted to say that I have taken it during lactation and noticed an improvement in supply. I have always struggled with low supply. But, I have had better supply with each subsequent baby. I have read that is often the case. I also think that establishing nursing well in the first 2 weeks is super important, that is a time when it is easiest to boost your supply. Just nurse often, take your galactagogues and believe that you can make enough milk. It is so hard not to worry, but stress is a supply killer too.

Also, if I had it to do over again with my older kids, I would not consider BFing an all or nothing proposition. There is so much benefit in any amount of breastmilk and any nursing, that I would still nurse and give them whatever amount I could. Even if you cannot produce a full supply, that is no reason to stop BFing.

Good luck, mama!
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
SkyVan
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Goat's Rue

Thanks! I am definitely going to nurse for as long as I can. Last time, once I went back to work and couldn't keep up the regular nursing and 8xday pumping schedule, my milk supply plummetted. I went from 12 ounces a day down to 6 ounces a day. My son stopped wanting to nurse altogether because he couldn't get anything out. I tried making that lactation aid thing (the tube) work but I got frustrated with it and so did he. Stopping did have a positive side though--I was able to enjoy more time with my son.

This time with a 1.5 yr old I won't be able to do the pumping routine, so I'm hoping I have a better supply. I know more about breastfeeding, herbs and nutrition now, so that's a good thing. I'm also more ready psychologically if I find I can't breastfeed. I'm done beating myself up about it. Thanks again
SkyVan is offline   Reply With Quote