Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #11
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: 104.1 Temp

I personally wouldn't worry too much with a fever like that.

The siezures typically caused by spiking fevers (its how fast it spikes, not usually how high it gets) are febrile - basically harmless (I'm sure there would be more risk if your child had solid food in his mouth, etc).

I was just about to type out a lot of info....but figured I'd check that dr. greene link above - nevermind That basically covered it lol

Hope your little one is feeling better soon!

Advertisement

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

Thanks everyone. I have never dealt with teething before (dd1 had it easy) so that is what I was more concerned about. I know a little bit about temps because of dd1's RSV and my 2 month stay in the hospital. She did come down after piggybacking motrin and tylenol so I didn't take her in. If it was to be 105 or above, I would have been in the ER ASAP. She is doing great today. Still running a fever but I am on it with the meds and it isn't getting above 100.5. It's just really weird that she has no other symptoms. I would think EI too if she was at least crying or pulling at it, but nothing. DD1 never had an EI so no experience there either. Thanks again ladies. I'll be watching her closely.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
trishmom2five
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

AT the age you are at now, usually the only sign of an EI is fever. Maybe a little crying or fussing when laying down to ea, but often nothing. EI's are a pain in the tail.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
I feel like if the fever reacts to motrin or tylenol then you should wait until you see other symptoms. It is hard for a dr to assess the situation if all you can tell them is your child has a fever. If the fever didn't respond to the meds then I would be more concerned. Fevers are your body's way of killing off germies. And not every child is prone to seisures caused by fever. I have a friend whose little ones always spike a high fever(104-105) when they are sick and never have they had a seisure. And another friend whose little boy would get seisures w/ 103 temps, which aren't typically in the range for seisure.

But you should go with your gut, and if you feel like you need to take the baby in then by all means that is what you should do. You are the mamma and you know your child better than anyone.

HOpe your baby feels better soon.

Also from experience, DS had a 104.8 or so fever the other day... ended up responding to motrin & going down to 102. Took him to the ped the next day & he had an EI.

As far as fevers + seizures - it's not the temp that makes them seize it's how fast the fever rises.

Anyway, like above said, go w/your gut. While I didn't take DS to the ER this time, I have in the past & taken him for much less.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #15
sunshinebabies3
Registered Users
seller

you might also consider getting her checked for a UTI. my daughter had a temp of 102 and was in septic shock just 45 mins later. granted this is a crazy extreme case, but it happened to me. turns out she has kidney reflux and a duplicate ureter...fine way to find out. she almost died on us. I say that to say...she had no other symptoms. she had just cut her first 2 teeth 2 days before this happened and was understandably cranky, but she played in the pool and was fine before nap. 15 minutes after waking she began to tremble. 15 mins later she was blue from knees & elbows down in full septic shock on a crash cart. *SO--go with your gut. You cant make a blanket statement about a fever saying "it's not serious unless it hits XYZ". my little girl almost died (we had a 2 minute window according to docs) and her temp only hit 102!! so---I would be concerned. just b/c you can get the temp down with motrin and tylenol doesnt mean nothing is wrong. what is she fighting off?? you may not want to do antibiotics, but I think it warrants at least finding out what she has. Strep is going around in some areas.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #16
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27
I would call the doc. I don't think a temp should be that high because of teething. That is a pretty high temp especially for little one that age! IMO
Old 09-06-2006, 02:07 AM   #17
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

not to scare you at ALL, but please go to the dr, danae had a fever that was going up and down for 3 days and i was giving her both motrin and tylenol and neither worked for more than the day, and it ended up being very seriou for us.
Take your baby in now, sometimes fevers are good because they strenthen the immunity but other times they can be caused by something serious, i am one that goes to the dr and calls the dr's like crazy, even before danae was diagnosed, i have alwasy been this way, precautious i would say but luckily my dr doesn't mind

Last edited by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox; 09-06-2006 at 04:44 AM.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:35 AM   #18
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

read the link, its the same one I was going to post. Febrile seizures are scary to watch but harmless. Because you think its teething then I assume she is still acting like herself. Behavior is far more important. A seriously ill child will look and act sick.
When my son gets sepsis and when he had meningitis we had a fever. We had no other symptoms initially. But I KNEW in every fiber of my being there was something WRONG. I felt panicky and scattered. I scooped him up and drove him to the peds (2 blocks away) no appt no nothing. I just ran him in and said "he's sick and he has no symptoms. But the Dr knew too- they just look wrong, your instincts flare up. Those fevers BTW were only 101-102 (we did break 106 eventually with meningitis, but that took days).
With ear infections and croup and other "little" infections he's had really high temps. My oldest runs 105 with almost every virus (but he's only sick for a day or 2! Rock on fevers... do your job)

What I mean is that the numbers are useless. How does she LOOK? How is she ACTING? What does your GUT say?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:44 AM   #19
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

there has been 2 times when cadences got that high and i dont hesistate to take her to the urgent care (hate the er here) 1st time all she had was a fever and whiney and she ended up with pnuemonia (in march) and then this past week she was whiney and feverish and i took her and she has bronchitis.....i would go to the dr im not saying its all the same but i mean tylenol and motrin should have helped a lot more i think !
Old 09-06-2006, 04:10 AM   #20
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This sounds like what happens to my dd#1 when she gets an ear infection. She never pulled at her ears or acted whiney or anything. SOMETIMES she would have a high fever, like what you have, and sometimes she wouldn't even have that. Hope she starts feeling better soon.