Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Question for pumpers

I have been pumping at work the past few days. How do you keep up with growth spurts/increase supply when pumping? I have had supply issues the whole time (have tried metoclopramide, herbs, oatmeal, etc....nothing works), so maybe it won't work for me, but what do you exclusive pumpers usually do for growth spurt? I am imagining you would just pump more often until supply increases, but I am hoping for a general guideline...

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
yagow2001
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for pumpers

I EP'ed with DD for the whole year and to have extra in the freezer for growth spurts, I just saved any extra expressed milk she didn't drink in a day in the freezer. I usually was pumping each day for the next day, so when there were times when she didn't drink one bottle, I would pour it in a freezer bag and save it. There will not only be growth spurts, there will also be times when they don't eat as much, so that might give you a chance to get ahead.
I've been paid to complete online surveys at http://OpinionOutpost.com/join/6696974
yagow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
TempoHasPaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

have you tried domperidone? When I got my period back at 18m pp my supply really dropped! I started domperidone and now I pump about 20oz every three hours around the clock! That's a loottt of milk!
you can order it here
http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/general/motilium.html
Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
athlete85
Registered Users

i'm no longer bfing, but we did for a year and now dd is almost 2. And when we have another we plan on bfing again. but we had horrible trouble with it, but my period never went away. infact i would have 2 periods a month. Is this maybe why i had problems bfing, or did i get my period because of not enough production of breast milk? Just kinda curious for those who may know.

Oh, and when we switched to pumping, i still fed her as much as i could but i would pump directly afterwards for a while, and when i did pump i tried to pump more often in hopes of building my supply, and it worked for a while until she wouldn't feed anymore and i was exclusively pumping with a not so good pump.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies,
I usually only have enough for about half of what he needs in a day (I am usually doing good to pump about 2 oz total every 2-3 hours) at daycare so I doubt I will ever have extra

I haven't tried domperidone, but I have tried metoclopramide, no difference in supply. Has anyone tried both and had better experience with one or the other?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
pmills4
Registered Users

you might also talk to your dr about reglan. I have been eping for the past 6 weeks and I had to go on reglan for two weeks to increase my supply. I will continue to use reglan when needed but you can only take it for two weeks at a time then you have to take a break for at least two weeks before you can take it again. It worked great for me.
pmills4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
katyjo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Are you using a strong enough pump? the other thing to do is to pump after all feedings to build up a supply of frozen milk. at first you won't get too much but it will help increase supply.
katyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=pmills4;3201626]you might also talk to your dr about reglan. [QUOTE]

Metoclopramide is Reglan. One is a brand name, one is generic - same drug tho.

I'd say to manage a growth spurt - or any pumping issue - pump as the baby would eat. During growth spurts, babies nurse more often so it stands to reason that you should also pump more often. If you notice you have to break into your freezer stash, add an extra pumping session (maybe at night if you can't add it at work) to replace. Eventually your supply should respond to the added stimulation.

Have you tried guided imagery? There's a nice cd from Earth Mama Angel Baby that has guided imagery for breast pumping. I have it and it isn't too annoying.

You may want to look too and see if you are doing anything that could decrease your suppply like, are you hydrated? Do you drink a lot of caffeine or alcohol, both of them are dehydrators. Are you a bottle watcher? You may need to find a way to pump without watching the bottles if you are stressed about supply, the amount of milk in your bottles may cause stress hormones to be released and that will inhibit your ability to let down fully. Also, is there something you do every time you nurse your baby? Is there a way to recreate that while pumping? That can also stimulate a better letdown.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:31 AM   #9
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Never mind...pp covered it
Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #10
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyjo View Post
Are you using a strong enough pump? the other thing to do is to pump after all feedings to build up a supply of frozen milk. at first you won't get too much but it will help increase supply.
Yeah I tried this the two times I was on Reglan with a hospital grade Ameda. Now I alternate between a Purely Yours (at home, but baby just ate at daycare) and a PIS (work).