Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #11
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pacifying! Can someone help me??

Holy cow, can I relate, lol! My dd is 3.5 mo. also and she's the same way. I can just forget about a paci, lol. She just wants me! Plus she isn't sleeping well, ever, so that doesn't help. Just know, you're not alone.

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Well glad to know I am not alone! lol Thankfully he is a really great sleeper at night. He sleeps all night long so no worries there!
I have tried different pacifiers (Avent, MaM, soothie, Nuk). I haven't tried the next size up, but feel like everything so far is a waste of money! Those paci's add up!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry I asked that question and then didn't follow it up when you answered! Anyways, the reason I asked that is because my DS had that problem until he was about 5 or 6 months old. They want it, its just that for some reason they can't keep it in their mouth. Maybe its that tongue reflex like that other mama said. Either way I had to hold it in his mouth for those first 5/6 months! He just kept accidently spitting out, which led to me having an insane amount of NUKs so I wouldn't have to wash it every time! I also kept it on one of those paci holders in the later months, when it was just a once it a while thing. (he slowly learned how to keep it in his mouth increasingly longer) Its hard to catch those things when they just fly out at random! However, later on after he didn't have that problem anymore, I read that if you actually tug on the paci lightly while he's sucking on it, he'll suck on it harder and it'll teach him how to keep it in his mouth. I think it was from that "happiest baby on the block" book. I didn't try it though, so good luck! I really don't think he's rejecting the pacifier though, just not too good at it yet!
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa1002
Sorry I asked that question and then didn't follow it up when you answered! Anyways, the reason I asked that is because my DS had that problem until he was about 5 or 6 months old. They want it, its just that for some reason they can't keep it in their mouth. Maybe its that tongue reflex like that other mama said. Either way I had to hold it in his mouth for those first 5/6 months! He just kept accidently spitting out, which led to me having an insane amount of NUKs so I wouldn't have to wash it every time! I also kept it on one of those paci holders in the later months, when it was just a once it a while thing. (he slowly learned how to keep it in his mouth increasingly longer) Its hard to catch those things when they just fly out at random! However, later on after he didn't have that problem anymore, I read that if you actually tug on the paci lightly while he's sucking on it, he'll suck on it harder and it'll teach him how to keep it in his mouth. I think it was from that "happiest baby on the block" book. I didn't try it though, so good luck! I really don't think he's rejecting the pacifier though, just not too good at it yet!
Ya know, now that you mention it, Bram couldn't keep his in his mouth for very long right away either. So maybe he just needs practice.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
cicily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27
Well glad to know I am not alone! lol Thankfully he is a really great sleeper at night. He sleeps all night long so no worries there!
I have tried different pacifiers (Avent, MaM, soothie, Nuk). I haven't tried the next size up, but feel like everything so far is a waste of money! Those paci's add up!
I think it'd be worth one more shot at getting the next size up. My son would try a suck or two on the smaller nipple size and just spit it out. Once I sized up he took to it right away. Just my two
cicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #16
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

Babies who've never had paci's before (nb and older) will spit it out no matter what you give them. Here's the trick.........

hold it in. LOL I know it seems simple and dumb but it's true! Both my kids were just like yours. It'a totally different sensation so they can't get a "grasp" on it. LOL I just held it in and cuddled them really close and once they were sucking really good on it I let go but kept them close to me. When they spit it out I'd do it again. I didn't always have to hold them close but did at first. It will take several days of this btw. LOL Just get used to holding it for a bit each time!

Those saucer paci's ppl get at hospitals (green and look like a circle) are supposed to be the BEST but the hospital I went to when I had my ds didn't have them. They gave me a green one but it wasn't the round ones. LOL

GL!

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #17
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

DD never took a paci, and I tried several different ones. It just made her mad. But she eventually started doing this weird sucking thing with her tongue and was fine doing that. She grew out of it, so it was simple.

DS took one instantly, no problem. It was the MAM preemie size. I think that can help out too, finding a tiny one for a small baby. Sometimes if it's too big, I think they have a hard time holding it in.

The Happiest Baby guy says that you should sort of "pull" on it so they will suck harder to keep it in. But I haven't had the greatest luck with that technique. HTH!
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:49 PM   #18
eduprey85
Registered Users
seller

DS started out with Nuk but he didn't like the shape and found he'd gag. SO we switched to Avent, more of a flat straight nipple. He has a 0-3 mths size that he doesn't like anymore, the 3-6 is what he's using at 5 mths old, but like another Momma said, it could be the size. DS HATES soothies!

DS had a paci from day one which I guess makes a difference. He only uses me for a paci once in a while, in fact I'm probably the opposite of you, SOMETIMES I wish he'd just continue on me, because most of the time, if he's sleepy and he's done eating he wants the pacifier and NOT me!! He loves to nurse but at times when he falls asleep he'll fuss until I give him his pacifier and it's frustrating when I don't have one available!!

DS also went through a sucking thumb stage.

I don't have any suggestions for you, other than to possibly try the next size up...
eduprey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:53 PM   #19
eduprey85
Registered Users
seller

Oh yeah and I just saw that someone said to hold it in...YES!!

DS often would spit it out, especially when fighting sleep, holding it in might help. It hasn't been until like this past week that DS can sit up or be held straight up and down and not have the paci fall on the floor...
eduprey85 is offline   Reply With Quote