Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cool Re: Attn: MODS -- any way to get a WOHM forum/sub-forum??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
I understand what you're asking for. I work, and have seen people ask work related questions before, like about childcare or something, and had people respond by prefacing their statements with, "well, I'm a sahm, and can't imagine even trusting someone enought o care for my dc, but if you have to, you could..." and it's really been a kind of veiled attack on wohms.

I think if there's a military family subforum, then a wohm subforum is not asking too much. It doesn't imply that sahm's don't work, just that wohm's work differently and deal with different issues, and it can be beneficial to get input from others in our shoes, rather than having our posts buried by a zillion other threads before another wohm has a chance to see it and respond.
Well, I agree that it *is* hard (not impossible, just very hard) to find trustworthy caregivers ... it's one of my (if not THE) biggest challenges especially as my business grows. That's why I am hoping we can get a forum/sub-forum for this particular group of mommas. I have found there isn't one RIGHT way to do everything. I think for some of us working is 'necessary' (single moms anyone?) and it's nice to find others dealing with the same challenges. Some WAHMs may find themselves with the same questions as WOHMs down the line as their businesses grow.

JMO.

Advertisement

There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Attn: MODS -- any way to get a WOHM forum/sub-forum??

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Well, I agree that it *is* hard (not impossible, just very hard) to find trustworthy caregivers ... it's one of my (if not THE) biggest challenges especially as my business grows. That's why I am hoping we can get a forum/sub-forum for this particular group of mommas. I have found there isn't one RIGHT way to do everything. I think for some of us working is 'necessary' (single moms anyone?) and it's nice to find others dealing with the same challenges. Some WAHMs may find themselves with the same questions as WOHMs down the line as their businesses grow.

JMO.
Um, I don't quite understand what you're saying here - I was agreeing with your reasons for wanting this subforum, and using an example of why it's not always conducive to ask working mom related questions of the general population....are you just trying to say wahm's can have the same concerns as wohm's? B/C I agree, but just didn't want to go to the extent of typing out "wohm/wahm". It just seems like you are taking exception to something in my statement, but I'm just agreeing with you and saying your idea is good.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I can see where this would be a good idea but there is no way we could/would enforce it to make sure ONLY WOHM's posted in it I mean you are gonna get everyone's opinion anyways because a lot of people just go through the "new posts since last visit" and don't even pay attention to what forum it is in.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

BTW I'm not saying "No" I don't have that authority, I'm just saying I don't understand how it would help
Old 04-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #15
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
Um, I don't quite understand what you're saying here - I was agreeing with your reasons for wanting this subforum, and using an example of why it's not always conducive to ask working mom related questions of the general population....are you just trying to say wahm's can have the same concerns as wohm's? B/C I agree, but just didn't want to go to the extent of typing out "wohm/wahm". It just seems like you are taking exception to something in my statement, but I'm just agreeing with you and saying your idea is good.
Not disagreeing ... just saying that some moms working from/at home may also need to seek childcare. And, it would be nice to have a forum for "working" moms, whether they have a home office or work at an office away from home (I'm kinda both -- I work 'at' home preparing lessons but I teach elsewhere ...) Sorry for the confusion.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:47 AM   #16
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmommy View Post
I can see where this would be a good idea but there is no way we could/would enforce it to make sure ONLY WOHM's posted in it I mean you are gonna get everyone's opinion anyways because a lot of people just go through the "new posts since last visit" and don't even pay attention to what forum it is in.
Not asking any that moms be kept out of any forums. Would just like a place to post separate from "off topic" if possible. Does that make sense?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #17
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a good reason for a "working outside the home" forum/sub-forum:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=391619

Any news?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #18
cowmommy
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Here's a good reason for a "working outside the home" forum/sub-forum:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=391619

Any news?
that would be in diaper chatter anyways
Old 05-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am bumping this as there are lots of new forums/subforums being added. I don't see why having a "Working Parents" chat forum/subforum is any different than having a "Daddy Forum" and all the splits in diaper chatter, etc. ... trying not to get all "emotional" but I think loads of mamas come here to "chat" and not every thing has to be "diaper" related. I may be off, but I'm just trying to get an idea of why all the splitting, yet this particular idea is not being considered seriously.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I think it's a good idea. I used to post on another board, and they had a forum set up for Mom's that workd out of the home called The Water Cooler. I thought that was a fun name.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote