Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feeling less than adequate (as a Mom) Re: P.A.T

he was almost a week late, we have an 8 year old who interacts with him as well as DH and I... he grabs and reaches for things a lot himself, only time we give it to him is if he cannot reach...we do not let him CIO or cry too long at all either... anyhow he's up from his nap I'll bbl

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #12
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh and he does babble and coo a lot also...

when I wear him it varies, facing or the other way... ok now I AM going hehe ttyl, thanks everyone!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*Some* babies just LIKE to stand up all the time and will try to from a very young age. My friends daughter would practically leap out of your lap from like 2 months old and she just preferred to be standing all the time. But I have four little sisters, all of which started walking before age 1 but none of them were standing at 6 months like that. Does it seem to *you* like he has low muscle tone? If he's able to kick his legs well, I doubt there's anything wrong with them. My friend's baby is "normal" and is close in age so its easy for me to "compare" I guess... for instance when you try to put pants on her, she'll usually try to kick them off or something, kwim? But when I put pants on Bram, he doesn't push back, like against them to help... don't know if that makes sense, its hard to explain written down.

Anyway, I would just let him get as much "tummy time" as you can and I'm sure he'll be fine... he doesn't sound "broken" or anything, nor do you.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

Those seem like unrealistic expectations to me. My dd didn't roll over until almost 5 months, and then it was just once & not again until 6 months. She didn't sit up into well into her 6th month & that was still with a little bit of help. She was crawling late in her 9th month, just starting to crawl. She walked at 14 months. Never at any point were we concerned or anyone else concerned - she was totally normal & healthy & within the pretty large windows for those milestones. Her thing was talking - it's funny to compare her milestones to my friends who had children at the same time, for example, one child who is 6 month younger started walking at 9 months, but was later on talking. Another one was great at mechanical things. Every child is different & so long as they are within the normal range, they are fine, even if they are on the outer side of things. IMO, if they aren't doing the obvious things, it doesn't matter, they are working on other things you can't see - like maybe spacial abilities, numeric abilities, artistic abilities, musical abililties, or other things that might not be measurable but are just as important for who they are.

Last edited by FunnyMonkey; 09-05-2006 at 03:09 PM.
FunnyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #15
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

What??????????? I too thought your child was at least a year based on your first post and the lady's reaction.

Saying mama/dada/baba and waving good-bye are more like 12 month milestones! She unnecessarily freaked you out, really!

Crawling is between 6-10 months usually - 6 months being on the very early end of it. Sitting up is like 6-8 months.

If you hold your son standing up does he put a little weight on his legs? He's not big enough to pull up on objects, that's more like a 9-12 month behavior.

Don't second guess yourself. Go read the milestone charts on www.babycenter.com and hopefully it will reassure you.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #16
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I think that lady is whacked! Those are not normal expectations for any six month old. I have 4 kids now and only 1 has been at those milestones at that age. He is my oldest and did everything really advanced!!!
What does your pediatrician think? Do they think he lacks in muscle tone and feel he is behind? I know my pediatrician does several exercises at all my ds's well visits to make sure he is where he should be and they always say he looks really good (mind you he is only 3 months now). They always did it with my other children also and my dd was the only one that they were ever concerned about and still have concerns!

I think you are being hard on yourself mama! I certainly wouldn't let that one women let you feel like you are a bad mama! We all know better!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm going to agree with everyone and say that woman is nuts. I could tell you all the ages that my two boys have done everything...but seriously, it varies so much in all children. Mine are both developing 'normally' and my second is still doing things even months later than my first did. And my first didn't say his first word until 7 months. My second wasn't crawling until around 8 months. Oh, and my second who is now 12 months..only says mama when he's distressed and only says dada when I ask him to....and will wave bye bye about 50% of the time he's asked. And he's TWICE the age of your son...i think the woman is crazy!

I would NOT beat yourself up....your son sounds completely normal...and i'd either discontinue their services or request someone more educated, experienced, or lenient - whatever the word may be. I wonder if she's not been around a lot of babies....to actually express concern (shock, whatever what displayed).
Old 09-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #18
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

(ok I am not going to quote each reply, just going to respond to everything all at once...)

oh get this she has EIGHT kids of her own though... thanks so much ladies I am glad I posted this here, y'all have made me feel so much better! I was telling my Mum about it and she said what's her phone number?? she said I would have told her to eff off don't call her back, but see even though I was upset, part of me wants her to come, just so I can get the information and activities they offer kwim? I figure take some and leave some, but I'd like to see their ideas at the same time... unfortunately I think she is the only one for our school district, so what would y'all do? keep her coming but take some/leave some, or just tell her not to come back? anyhow I do feel better, after Gavin's nap we played and did a few of the exercises, and had some major snuggling time oh yeah, and Gavin does have very strong legs btw he kicks me a LOT haha
Old 09-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #19
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

I am not sure what her qualifications are, but she is WAY off.

He is 6 mos old for goodness sake. Neither of my older children nor Grace were getting themselves into a sitting position at that age. DD1 babbled, talked and did about evertrhing else early. DS was later than her on everything. And guess what, they are 14 and 12 now and DD1 is in all honors classes and started HS with 3 courses under her belt. DS is and has always been in gifted classes.

Do you get my point here? They reached their milestones at different times, but it had no impact on where they are now.

All I EVER did was play and read and sing with them. I never specifically tried to teach them anything.

May I ask why you called this lady in the first place??

Sorry if I am coming across a little *****y, but this really riles me up. And if I find out that she is a trained professional with a background in child development...
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #20
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Depends on how mad she made me...because I get really ruffled by tone of voice and facial expressions....but you could definitely take what you can (she might have some fun exercises, who knows) and leave the crap