Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #21
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feeling less than adequate (as a Mom) Re: P.A.T

I called her because others have told me good things about the parents as teachers program... and Jenelle, that's just it she upset me but I know I will get SOME good out of it, next month she is suppose to bring me age appropriate activites and toys even, and how to make toys for babes! sooo part of me wants to continue for that and well it's free LOL

Wendy, I am not sure what kind of training they need to have, but I myself already knew kids developped at different stages, and shoot until she came along I thought Gavin was doing pretty good! blahhh lol I have a month anyways if I decide I don't want her coming here lol I may call and find out if there are others but dunno, and actually there are group meetings and fun days planned so that's another reason I'd like to keep up with it... I am not sure at this point but like I said I have time to decide, I just wanna say I love you ladies, you have made me feel a lot better

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #22
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

It might be kind of neat just to see what she has to say/offer in regards to making age-appropriate toys The things she's going to bring...do you get to keep them or are they just to give you an idea?

Sounds like a neat idea, but the woman needs to be 'taught' the appropriate way to say/word things. To express concern over a 6 month old not being able to do those things.....is kind of ludricous With 8 children of her own, she should know that all babies develop at their own rate. She sounds crazy

I think you sound like a terrific mom and your son sounds to be RIGHT on track! Doing an excellent job mama! Keep it up.

Good luck in whatever you decide
Old 09-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #23
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinsMommy
there are group meetings and fun days planned so that's another reason I'd like to keep up with it... I am not sure at this point but like I said I have time to decide, I just wanna say I love you ladies, you have made me feel a lot better
Aww, we love you, too, Melanie!

I can understand wanting to get involved and have fun. If this doesn't work out, maybe there is a local play group that you two could join.

Sorry I got so mental, but we moms have enough to worry about without people spreading misinformation
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #24
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh hunny don't worry, it made me mental too

Jenelle you get to keep all the stuff she brings! but yes she is a lil crazy I think I think she meant well cause she even said her self babies develop at diff rates, but she just doesn't know how to voice things properly IMHO kwim?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #25
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS will be 1 on Saturday and just (in the past two weeks), started saying "Mamama" and "Dadada". My doctor was not at all concerned, though. He started sitting at six months, crawling at eight months. Again, my doctor had no concerns. And that was all well within the normal age range. At just shy of a year, he cruises everywhere, stands unassisted, just took his first step, and just gained about four words. I wouldn't worry too much...particularly with a boy, it is not at all abnormal to not be speaking yet. As long as he is babbling, and your doctor is not concerned, I'd just give him a little more time.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #26
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I just saw that you are from MO, what part. I grew up in St Louis and south of there in Cape Girardeau.

Anyway, I had a PAT person come visit us for our 3 yo and she was very helpful. They did story telling, she always brought some kind of activity. But I didn't have any experience w/ infant ages and such. I do want to say that all the PP are correct, she was definatly jumping the gun by saying your son is behind, that is way to early to make those kinds of assesments. Baby's all do things at different times. I would say if he isn't saying anything by 1 yr then start to wonder but not 6 mo. Don't worry you are doing just fine. Maybe you would be better off to wait a year and have her come back so that she will have activities that he can actually particpate in. But with that bad of an experience I don't blame you if you never want them to come back.

BTW I think the people who do the PAT home visits are supposed to be teachers. It is often set up through the local PS, so it may be a reflection of the Public school system in your area. I hope that isn't the case, but if so at least you have some time to move before DS starts kindergarten. LOL The school district that the PAT that I worked with was from the school I graduated from, and an excellent district, so I felt like I got a lot of great info. Good luck, and you are doing a great job, why would you worry if you weren't a great mom!!!!
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #27
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks ladies

Julesmom, we are by Fort Leonard Wood, and yes our 8 yo goes to that school and they are kinda pushy... but he does quite well
Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #28
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinsMommy
thanks ladies

Julesmom, we are by Fort Leonard Wood, and yes our 8 yo goes to that school and they are kinda pushy... but he does quite well
When I was back in MO last year while DH was deployed and I was pregnant, Tricare (mil ins) wanted me to drive 170 miles one way to go to Ft Leonard Wood for prenatal care. THank goodness I got that fixed. I have lots of family in that general area.

Well maybe see how another visit or 2 goes and if you don't like it then just tell them you would like out of the program. And yes you should see if they have anyone else that can visit you. The school district that we dealt w/ had 2-3 PAT people. Good luck.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #29
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think that is what I am going to do, ty
Old 09-06-2006, 02:43 AM   #30
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 2 special needs kids, a WAY above average kid, and bright-normal kid. I worked as a nanny and in daycare. I have been through early intervention etc. I have a boatload of baby experience and milestone measuring experience. That Woman Is Nuts!
SERIOUSLY she's insane. I think SHE needs way way way more help than your son ever will.
Please try to forget the whole thing ever happened!