Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2006, 02:51 AM   #31
soggygranolamomma
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feeling less than adequate (as a Mom) Re: P.A.T

Seriously, echoing what most others said, but "wha????" That lady is NUTS!!

First of all, when it comes to kids and their development, there are no "should"s. Every kid is different and every kid develops at their own rate.

My kids NEVER spoke a coherent word until they were at least 2 years old, trust me, my speaking kids, 10, 8, 4 and 3 years don't hush up at ALL anymore!!!!! It's absolutely looney!!

My 11 month old doesn't pull up, doesn't stand, she yells sometimes, but doesn't chatter non-stop and she doesn't say mamamama or dadadada or anything for that matter.

She is alert, interactive and I'm sure she will catch up with her sibs in no time. Then it will be absolute and total lunacy in my house. I'm in no rush!!

Honestly, I'd drop a program like that like a bad habit. The last thing a parent needs is to have some other know-it-all tell them their kid is messed up. That's between you and your Ped. If your Ped isn't worried, I don't think you need to stress yourself about it!

Advertisement

soggygranolamomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:44 AM   #32
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

nope DR always said things were great!
Old 09-06-2006, 06:23 AM   #33
wordgirl
Registered Users
seller

i concur, the woman is nutso... everyone has already said it so i just wanted to weigh in with another confirmation. all that at 6 months???

ds didn't talk (babbled but not real words attached to real objects) till well past a year. dd has just started waving and she's 11 months. both were on the late end of average for crawling i think (9/10 months)... it all depends on the kiddo and the way their mind and personality work.

you have nothing to worry about and while i don't think exercises are bad for the sake of fun and interaction and doing new stuff, i firmly believe every babe will make the links and figure things out when they're ready, despite any "exercises" to help things along.
wordgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:27 AM   #34
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks everyone! I am leaning more towards now seeing if they have someone else that could come and see me kwim?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #35
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I probally will be saying the same thing as above (didn't read them) but, I wouldn't worry. They have a certain age for milestones but, not every baby hits those milestones at that age. Some do before and some babies hit them way after. Bruce started walking at like 10 months but, some babies don't walk until well after one. I would talk to someone else. Bruce's doctor is great but, she has no kids. So, I really don't treat everything she says as gold.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #36
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I mostly felt like crap, this woman is not a dr so I sure didn't "take all" I left some kwim? lol
Old 09-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #37
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just meant that others can say what your baby should be doing but, it's not always true.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #38
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I'm off and running to work...but i *AM* a PAT teacher.......

sounds like she is possibly not *that* well trained in child development, except what the program teaches ....techincally, you can be a PAT teacher with JUST the 4 day training they give you, and the teachers manual...which i think is ridiculous.....here, in my county, you ALSO have to have a FOUR YEAR (bachelor's) degree, in child development, or family studies, etc, in order to do be employed here.....
If she is just reading the checklist of skills, without REALLY understanding how development works, she might be overly rigid with milestones and stuff.......

Okay, REALLY must go...more later.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #39
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstategirl
I just meant that others can say what your baby should be doing but, it's not always true.
oh I know
Old 09-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #40
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
I'm off and running to work...but i *AM* a PAT teacher.......

sounds like she is possibly not *that* well trained in child development, except what the program teaches ....techincally, you can be a PAT teacher with JUST the 4 day training they give you, and the teachers manual...which i think is ridiculous.....here, in my county, you ALSO have to have a FOUR YEAR (bachelor's) degree, in child development, or family studies, etc, in order to do be employed here.....
If she is just reading the checklist of skills, without REALLY understanding how development works, she might be overly rigid with milestones and stuff.......

Okay, REALLY must go...more later.

thanks hun, sounds like she is though huh?