Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Those with Vaccine Knowledge - Help Me!

Okay, I am so angry right now and so many lights are going off in my head. I have been doing this all night.

We discovered multiple food allergies in my daughter when she was 14 months old (she is 20 months, now) - one of them is an allergy to peanut, which is severe and requires the use of epi pens. She is also allergic to peas, eggs and chic peas, though they are more mild. And we have been advised she can not have any kind of nut for that matter (as a precaution). Within the last few weeks we have discovered an allergy/sensitivity to food dye and are trying to get her to see another doctor (we moved, so we can't go to her old one).

Anyway, it dawned on me tonight through the myriad of research I have been doing in regards to nutrition, allergies and food dye that these could be related to her vaccines. I had also been researching vaccines too but only because I have been hearing the debate on them and decided to hold off on any more vaccines until I did my own research. Then I was sitting on the couch and a light went off. What if it is all connected, I asked myself. After all, neither my husband or I nor anyone in either of our families has a history of peanut allergy or any other food allergy for that matter. Her allergy doc even said it was a medical anomaly. So, with that thought in mind I run to her medical file and check the dates. Her vaccines were given on 1/11 (Hib, Polio, PCV and MMR). I check the date that her reaction occured - 3/2. Less than 2 months from when her shots were given. My mind is reeling. I go online and do some google searches and find this site: http://www.vran.org/vaccines/anaphyl...accine-ana.htm

I began to cry and cry. Oh, if only I had known what the risks were when I had given her all her shots! If only I had done my research before, if only I hadn't of blindly trusted our doctor. The two shots they mention as being related to causing higher incidences of anaphylaxis are Hib and pertussis - she had 3 doses of pertussis and 4 of Hib, with her last Hib being on 1/11.

I am so afraid that this is just the tip of the ice-berg. I pray that her only reaction to these vaccines will be food related. So far her development is on track and/or superior to normal timelines.

I emailed the site asking them what my next steps should be but unfortunately this is a Canadian site. Who do I go to? Who do I beat over the head with a stick (besides myself)? I want to write letters and take action but where do I go? Since there is still very little accepted connection between food allergies and vaccines is there any way for me to even report this to the CDC?

I considered myself to be so educated on everything when I had my daughter. I knew the benefits of AP, of babywearing, breast feeding, having a peaceful birth, I researched discipline and signing and heaven knows what else - why did I skip vaccines?

If you are reading this and you have not done your own research on vaccines, please do. Don't let anyone make up your mind for you. Read the facts for yourself. Find the medical journals. Vaccine or don't but please do the research - I only wish I would have.

Jessica

Advertisement

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:
Re: Those with Vaccine Knowledge - Help Me!

I have just recently ventured into the world of vaccinations... so I can't answer any questions, but I know the feeling... My first was fully vaxed to 15 months and I regret it 100%. If only I'd known as well...
Old 09-06-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

I'm right there with you. My first was vaxed up to his 4 year boosters. I have so much regret about that that sometimes I still can't read anything about vax'es because it makes me physically ill.

DH and I now live with the motto that we will never again allow anyone to tell us what is best for our children.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
A'smommy
Registered Users

You might be able to make a report to VAERS (Vaccine Injury Reporting System), but don't beat yourself up. You can't control every variable all the time.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Katelyn'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

If you haven't read Neil Z. Miller's book called "Vaccines: Are They Safe and Effective?", then you just must! I don't know how anyone after reading this could not have doubts about vaccinating. Scary stuff! I would have had no idea but my neighbor gave me this book to read since she didn't read it until her kids already had quite a few. Some of the vaccines even contain cells from aborted babies! And basically antifreeze! This morning I turned down the offer to have my 2 month old vaccinations. It's scary the thins they don't tell you when you are thinkin you are just doing what is right to raise a healthy child!
Katelyn'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'smommy
You might be able to make a report to VAERS (Vaccine Injury Reporting System), but don't beat yourself up. You can't control every variable all the time.
Thank you!

I know that one individual can't always control all factors but it is beyond reasonable that more investigation isn't being done between these links. There is a lot of fright in the food allergy world about why so many children are having lethal reactions to foods that used to be so rare and I have never heard anyone tell me that vaccines could possibly cause in issue. So, I'd like to be the voice to help raise that awareness.

I think a lot of people still don't understand how serious a peanut allergy is these days either, or any other anaphylactic reaction to a food.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote