Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:
What are some things I can make for cheaper at home versus buying at the store

I know about bread, and I'm sure yogurt. But I'm getting tired of going to the store and spending over a hundred and two days later we "got nothing to eat" I don't buy "tv dinners" or frozen dinners, but I know I'm wasting money buying some ready made stuff, so what do you make on your own that would cost more if you bought it ready made?

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
kaspears17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are some things I can make for cheaper at home versus buying at the store

Confession: I don't do much of the cooking,

but I know spagetti sauce is expensive and it's easy to make with some italian style diced tomatoes (1 can is like 75c), tomato paste (30c) and on hand italian herbs (oregano, thyme, etc)

also the crock pot meals and voila meals (bertolli, etc) anything that's already mixed, spiced, seasoned or cooked are all expensive convenience foods you can make at home cheaper. Also salad dressing (vinagarettes anyway) are cheaper to make at home and taste better than store bought.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are some things I can make for cheaper at home versus buying at the store

Definitely tomato sauce. I buy a huge Sam's Club size can of tomato sauce at Walmart (~$2) and dump it into my crock pot (it all fits just perfectly). I then season until it tastes just right and let it simmer all day. I usually add fresh chopped onions, green pepers, garlic, oregano, thyme, etc. When it is done I freeze it in ice cube trays then dump the cubes in a freezer bag. The cubes are easy to thaw, great for when you only want small portions, freezes perfectly, and because you made it how you wanted it tastes perfect!
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Red face Re: What are some things I can make for cheaper at home versus buying at the store

thanks mama!!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansabrina View Post
Definitely tomato sauce. I buy a huge Sam's Club size can of tomato sauce at Walmart (~$2) and dump it into my crock pot (it all fits just perfectly). I then season until it tastes just right and let it simmer all day. I usually add fresh chopped onions, green pepers, garlic, oregano, thyme, etc. When it is done I freeze it in ice cube trays then dump the cubes in a freezer bag. The cubes are easy to thaw, great for when you only want small portions, freezes perfectly, and because you made it how you wanted it tastes perfect!
great idea!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

totally forgot I put this thread out there (almost a year ago lol) thought I'd bump it back up and see if there were more responses!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Homemade pizza. I make my own pizza sauce (with canned tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, some spices, garlic -- put in the blender and then I freeze it in tiny bags so I have enough for several pizzas). I make my own pizza dough. I can make enough for 2 large pizzas at a time. We can only eat one, though, so I freeze the extra dough. I'm not sure what is in the dough -- flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt, oil -- think that is it. Just add some mozzeralla or whatever veggies/meals you have on hand and you are done! For me that is easy, because if you keep the cheese on hand, I have all the other stuff in the pantry at all times.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
kelly_jeanie
Registered Users
seller

Granola bars is something I've been experimenting with, I found a few recipes on Allrecipes. Also oatmeal, the little packets are nice but using the big cannisters are cheaper, and my son has fun adding all sorts of things to it.

Some spice mixes; I've found recipes for ranch dressing packets, taco seasoning, poultry seasoning...maybe not a ton cheaper but I already had the ingredients on hand.

Great thread!
kelly_jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

Yogurt, kefir, kombucha, bread (if you are comparing whole grain healthy bread--not the super cheap white bread), seasoning mixes (like taco), beans (buy dried not canned), etc.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #10
Picklesmom1
FSOT issues with this member. Contact administrator before any transaction~
seller

My Mood:

The hillbillyhousewife.com has TONS of recipes of storebought stuff that you can make at home, I always use the lipton onion soup mix and it shows how to make that, also rice a roni mixes, bisquick, etc.