Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
MandyOne
Registered Users

Re: What are some things I can make for cheaper at home versus buying at the store

Anytime I make beans I make a huge pot in my pressure cooker and then freeze them in 2c. plastic containers, way cheaper than buying canned beans.

Advertisement

MandyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
bezmommy1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are some things I can make for cheaper at home versus buying at the store

I agree with all of the suggestions above. I also make homemade Bisquick mix for pancakes, waffles and biscuits. It is much cheaper and doesn't have preservatives. I think the recipe might be from Hillbilly Housewife or thefamilyhomestead.com
bezmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks mama's I'm checking out those websites
Old 02-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #14
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I make my own
*Preserves
*Tortillas
*tomato based sauces
*Alfredo and other cheese sauces
*Beans and Re-fried beans
*Dried Seasoning mix all you have to do is add the liquid like Ranch, or Taco, Chilli, stews and soups.
*I make waffles and Pancakes by the DOZENS and freeze them instead of buying the box of 8 for $2.99 I get several dozen for that price
*Frosting, syrup, Coffee Creamer

I can get you recipes of anything Listed if your interested PM me.
BabyLuvinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
velcromom
Registered Users

Broth - seriously, your gravy and sauces will be amazing when you use your own! and you will not only save the money spent on the canned or cubed kind, but also you will not need to buy a lot of those envelopes of dry mix gravies and sauces.

Make a much more nutrient-filled broth simply by saving the bones from whole chickens (I keep them in the freezer til there is several night's worth) and simmering them in the crock pot with water to cover and a tablespoon of vinegar. Let them cook 12 -18 hours to get the most out of your bones. At the end of cooking, allow the crock to cool somewhat then dump it all through a colander into a big bowl and throw away the bones. Cool the bowl in the fridge til your broth is gelled then scoop it into ziplocks in 2c. portions and freeze.

Enchilada sauce - this is a great recipe that you can make with no heat or lots, however your family likes. It's very savory, best made with your homemade broth for extra nutrition and flavor. Size it up to utilize the big can of tomato sauce from Costco ($2) and freeze two cup portions. This recipe is good for not only enchiladas, but as a base for chili, (or chili-mac, yum), a sauce for nachos or burritos, and thinned with more broth for tortilla soup. http://www.recipezaar.com/Enchilada-Sauce-71916

Muffins - double your favorite recipe and keep some wrapped in the freezer to grab on the way out the door or put in the kid's lunches.

Bread - the easiest recipe is no-knead bread. Makes a nice loaf you'll want to eat with spaghetti or stew. I use the one at motherearthnews.com, just search for "no knead" at their site.

Gourmet Pilafs - they cost a lot in boxes and take nearly an hour to cook, but if you buy your own grains and rices, blend them and cook a huge batch then freeze portions, you'll pay pennies per serving and save time in the kitchen too.
A good way to cook grains so they don't burst open and turn to sticky mush is to pretend it's pasta, and cook it in lots of water. Test them to see when they are just tender enough to chew but haven't burst yet, then drain well and freeze in portions. For grain that is tender and creamy inside, (and cooks in less time) soak overnight in water with a tablespoon of vinegar added, then rinse before cooking in fresh water.

Sauerkraut: good old fashioned, unheated type is pricey at the store, but you can make it for the price of a head of cabbage. www.wildfermentation.com has a really simple recipe - try making their pickles too, they are excellent.
velcromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for saving me a ton of typing Velcromom I was just going to post how to make home made stocks. they work FANTASTIC you can also put them in Ice cube trays for smaller portions if you just want to add that extra zip to your soups stews and Gravys

GREAT TIPS MOMS
Old 02-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #17
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks mamas!!

these are great!!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #18
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beef Stew seasoning
1/4 cup Salt
1/4 cup Paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons Garlic powder
1 1/2 tablespoons Onion powder
1 1/4 tablespoons Red pepper
1 tablespoon White pepper
1 tablespoon Finely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Dry mustard
1 teaspoon Sweet basil
1/2 teaspoon File powder
1/4 teaspoon Ground bay leaves
1/8 teaspoon Thyme

BBQ spice mix
1/2 c Chili powder
1/4 c Hickory flavored salt
3 T Onion Powder
2 T Cumin
1 T Paprika
1 T Garlic
1 T Brown sugar
1 t Cayenne pepper
1/2 t Dry Mustard
1/2 t Lemon Zest

Spaghetti sauce

Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning
Compliments of www.Budget101.com
Your #1 Penny-Pinching Resource on the web!

Click here to return

2 cups dry minced onion
3 Tbsp. oregano
2 Tbsp. dried green pepper flakes
4 tsp. dried basil
2 Tbsp. dry minced garlic
4 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. dry parsley
1 heaping Tb. Italian seasoning mix
3 24-oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
1 cup fresh or canned mushrooms
one cup chopped onions
*Slow cook in the crockpot high for about 6 Hours*

Home made Ranch
Mix the following until smooth:

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream OR 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dill weed
1/4 cup milk
1 TBS parsley
1 tsp onion powder
Old 02-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Cloth4us
Registered Users

Hummus and pesto. I just started making yogurt, if you can get milk for cheap (mine was$2.25), I can make a quart of yogurt for close to .50 cents
Cloth4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #20
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My new love is frozen veggies. We used to buy cans and cans of veggies, corn, peas and green beans to eat w/ dinner. At $1 a can it's ridiculous.

So, now I buy all of our veggies frozen at Costco and they're organic...a huge plus. I spend $5 on a bag of corn that weighs about 5lbs and we get like 10 dinners out of it rather than 5 from canned. Plus, they're way better for you
Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote