Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hotel stay w/ toddler and infant

Okay....this is for those of you who have travelled and stayed in a hotel with your kids.

In January (or maybe it's February), we will be going down to Islamorada for my sister in law's wedding. There are several room options. We can do 1bed/1bath with a bunch of different options for beds (ie: 2 double beds, 1 queen and 1 queen pull out and many variations of this....among other options).

My oldest daughter will be about 2 months away from her 3rd b-day at that point and my other little girl will be 7ish months old. For the little one, we're just going to bring the pack n play and pray she sleeps without any drama and without keeping everyone up.

My oldest is still in her crib and hasn't shown any signs of climbing out or anything. We had planned on keeping her there until she was 3 or until she was climbing out. So, she MAY already be in her big girl bed when we go on this trip....or she may not.

So, what is the best sleep option for a toddler who either is used to sleeping in her crib or has just transitioned to her big girl bed. There obviously won't be any side rails on these beds. Is there some type of travel bed I need to buy for her? Should we get a 2bed/2 bath room so she can have her own room, or do you think that would freak her out (strange place, strange room all by herself)? On the other hand, having a second room might make it so that some of us get some sleep if the baby decides not to sleep in the pack n play.

What is everyone else's experiences? I need ideas and options.

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hotel stay w/ toddler and infant

Everything else (food, schedules, activity) on the trip is going to be so different that even if you make her sleeping experience as close to your home routine as possible, she's still going to be a little uneasy / extra alert. I travel frequently with my 2.5 yo twin girls and their baby brother - my tips would be to bring ALL her normal blankets / toys / etc. and also the exact same book or music CD or whatever she uses at home. (We bring our "special Mommy bedtime book" and a CD player with the sleeping music in it.)

I wouldn't get 2 rooms and try to put her in one without you there; my own girls would NEVER like that! (They like to be close to me, though - even at home, if they're scared or nervous at night for any reason, they come in my room and sleep on the floor next to my bed.)

Talk it up ahead of time like this is some really big treat - explain all the details and maybe draw a picture for her. I do a lot of "prep work" when I travel with my own kiddos, and it REALLY pays off. (My parents are in Illinois and I'm in New Hampshire!) Having some extra treats that she likes (new colored pencils, board books, stickers, etc.) to pull out at strategic times is also a really good idea.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, Katie. Yeah, whenever she stays over with my parents, we always take her blankets, pillow and the few stuffed animals she always sleeps with. What sleeping arrangements do you have for the girls and their brother when you travel?

Good idea with the talking it up and bring surprises for when they're needed. I agree that having her stay by herself in the room is not a good idea. I think if we got the second room, one of us (me or DH) would stay in the room with her and co-sleep with her. I think it would really scare her and would be really mean to make her sleep in there by herself---at least for us.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

Our two favorite arrangements (depending on if DH is with us or not) are . . .

1. Co-sleeping all 3 kids between me and DH in a king size. (yes, this is crazy, but it's the option that provides the most sleep)

or

2. Making pallet beds out of extra towels on the floor for my twins (right next to our bed) and co-sleepign with the baby.

The girls like to be near us, but (a) I think they'd fall out of a big bed, since they fall out of their toddler beds ALL THE TIME, and (b) they're not used to sleeping together in the same bed and one dd HATES this. So we give them separate beds, unless they're all in with us.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
splotchy1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One option if you can cosleep with the older one is to take 2 of the hotel chairs and push them up side the bed (with the backs of the chair against the bed). They are heavy enough to keep her from falling out, and then you don't need another portable bed for her. I've done it tons and it has always worked for me!
Ellen
Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I personally would do 2 double beds and have dd sleep with you and dh sleep my himself and the baby in the pack and play. If baby is having a rough time I would have dd sleep with DH and you and the baby sleep together. That is what we always did. HTH! GL
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
momof4
Registered Users
seller

I've traveled a lot with my kids at different times, and every time I've had one of crib age, I've been able to get a crib from the hotel without any problem. Check in advance with the hotel, and find out if they have, and reserve one. Bring the pack and play for the little one, and put the bigger one in the hotel crib, with as much of your own things as you can, so the crib will have some familiar feels & smells (that really goes for both of them). Be sure to bring along extra outlet covers for safety, and consider bringing along a night light, too.

I agree with the pp's that one room is probably better, both for kid security, and for expense. You might want to bring along flashlights for yourself and DH so that you can turn the lights out for the kids, and still read or get things done yourselves. And I strongly second the preparations suggestion -- it makes all the difference in the world to a toddler/preschooler!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

we have one of us sleep with our toddler... and then tyler in the pack and play. We have let bailey (toddler) sleep alone as well but she fell out of the bed
Old 09-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #9
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I just have them sleep in the bed w/me but my almost 3 yo has been out of his crib since a year... so I may be no help.

What about asking for a crib at the hotel? When we used to have to travel for work when we only had one, we booked a hotel that had those sort of amenities. Didn't cost us more... just asked for a crib & they'd bring it.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #10
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is a little different from most kids in that she will not sleep in the same bed as us. I have tried on several occasions to have her sleep with us but it turns into one big playdate in her mind. She sleeps great, only if she is in her own room.

We try to get a "one bedroom suite" or a "junior suite" that has a seperate living room/bedroom area, and she sleeps in a PNP in the living room part. This is cheaper than a 2 rooms, assures a good nights sleep for her, and part of a nice hotel room for mom and dad .

That is what works for us. Who knows maybe the next kid will sleep well with us.....She is veeery cuddly during the day so I shouldn't complain.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote