Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 05:58 AM   #1
Jennie0828's Avatar
Jennie0828
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 54
My Mood:
Underproduction sub-forum

How do we get diaper swappers administration to add a sub forum to breast-feeding for under producing support? I went to a local monthly breast-feeding support group specifically for under producers. I left feeling encouraged and hopeful. The next support group I went to was a general breast-feeding support group. One woman was complaining about overproducing and leaking. Oh boo who, you leak. At least you can feed your baby, and you get to feed him 100% natural healthy milk full of antibodies, for free. I'm spending a fortune on supplements and medications for me and supplemental formula for my baby. And I'm spent twice as long to feed my baby because I have to nurse, bottle feed, and pump. Another woman was complaining that she is too shy to breast-feed in public. Wah wah wah. At least you have the ability to breast-feed in public or private, anywhere, anytime. I'd really like some place where I can connect with other women who are having the same struggles that I am.

Advertisement

Jennie0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
Unusely1
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 44
Re: Underproduction sub-forum

Oh mommy that is a hard problem to deal with I know I have been there but I found when I stop stressing and stop pumping and just put her to the beast as often as she wanted it started to come in better I would give her a ottle of formula like 3 ozs every 4 or 6 hours too just so I knew she was getting enough and then like a few months later we saw I did not need to give her formula cause I got to the point my boobs would leak
Unusely1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Agla's Avatar
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11,112
My Mood:
Re: Underproduction sub-forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie0828 View Post
How do we get diaper swappers administration to add a sub forum to breast-feeding for under producing support? I went to a local monthly breast-feeding support group specifically for under producers. I left feeling encouraged and hopeful. The next support group I went to was a general breast-feeding support group. One woman was complaining about overproducing and leaking. Oh boo who, you leak. At least you can feed your baby, and you get to feed him 100% natural healthy milk full of antibodies, for free. I'm spending a fortune on supplements and medications for me and supplemental formula for my baby. And I'm spent twice as long to feed my baby because I have to nurse, bottle feed, and pump. Another woman was complaining that she is too shy to breast-feed in public. Wah wah wah. At least you have the ability to breast-feed in public or private, anywhere, anytime. I'd really like some place where I can connect with other women who are having the same struggles that I am.
I want to make sure I understand you correctly. You did not think these women had a right to complain because they were able to produce milk?

It sounds to me like they were dealing with their own valid reasons for seeking support.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusely1 View Post
Oh mommy that is a hard problem to deal with I know I have been there but I found when I stop stressing and stop pumping and just put her to the beast as often as she wanted it started to come in better I would give her a ottle of formula like 3 ozs every 4 or 6 hours too just so I knew she was getting enough and then like a few months later we saw I did not need to give her formula cause I got to the point my boobs would leak

I had supply issues with my last two children. It was an exhausting cycle of pumping, bottle feeding and breastfeeding. It was round the clock until my milk caught up with supply. I was a zombie.
__________________

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
Jennie0828's Avatar
Jennie0828
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 54
My Mood:
Re: Underproduction sub-forum

I am definitely not saying that they do not have the right to complain. They absolutely have the right to reach out for support with any problems they're experiencing. I'm just saying that it is not helpful to me to be in the same support group with them. It is helpful to me to be in the supportGroup with women who are experiencing the same or at least similar problems that I am trying to deal with. May I ask how long it took you to for your milk supply to catch up? I am about ready to give up.
Jennie0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17,005
Re: Underproduction sub-forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie0828 View Post
I am definitely not saying that they do not have the right to complain. They absolutely have the right to reach out for support with any problems they're experiencing. I'm just saying that it is not helpful to me to be in the same support group with them. It is helpful to me to be in the supportGroup with women who are experiencing the same or at least similar problems that I am trying to deal with. May I ask how long it took you to for your milk supply to catch up? I am about ready to give up.
Over production of milk can cause it's own serious problems. One of them being a baby who doesn't get enough of the fatty hind milk. This can cause issues with weight gain. Baby may be getting mothers milk but still isn't thriving.

As far as getting a separate sub-forum, the only way I know of is to show sufficient need for it. Otherwise it isn't likely to happen. Personally I don't see a need for another sub-forum. I think one for general breastfeeding is sufficient. My opinion only but since yours is the first request I have seen for specific issues sub-forum I don't think others feel the need either.

If you will check out the other threads in this particular sub-forum I did post a link to an article that addressed low milk supply issues. Perhaps it can help you.
__________________
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17,005
Re: Underproduction sub-forum

OP, you might wish to refrain from mocking and dismissing other women's issues. It makes me at least, less desirous of offering you any assistance.

I hope you can get your issues resolved.
__________________
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
stevensmom's Avatar
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: a little place called Home
Posts: 50,147
My Mood:
As pp mentioned. If you notice in this forum there are a mix of over and under production threads.

I suggest you look through them.

No one is forcing you to participate in the over ones.
__________________
Erica , wife to Ben, momma to Steven11.06 Emily9.10 Matthew 8.13
Forever in my heart, always on my mind (3.09, 5.09, 12.11)
"Life's too short to buy green bananas"
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
teacherpippi's Avatar
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,599
My Mood:
Re: Underproduction sub-forum

Not being able to feed your child the way you want is an emotional thing. Mamas who have over or under production issues are both in that same boat. Neither can feed their child the way they want. The mama who has anxiety over feeding in public can't feed her child the way she wants too.

It can be hard to read titles that seem like the grass is greener on the other side. I am sure there are mamas out there that wish they at least produced a little so they could have a chance to breastfeed like you do.

We can't compare in that way. It is hurtful and harmful. It is dangerous to go down the road that your problem is worse than someone else's.

Last year, my LO had open heart surgery. So many mamas have it "worse" than what I had it. Their kids had more serious heart defects, had longer or more complicated recoveries, or lost their lives. I know this is an extreme example but I hope it helps you see that we really cannot compare in this way.

I know you are coming from a place of frustration and being emotionally drained. I hope that with some clarity you are able to see that mamas on the other side struggle too.

I wish you and your LO the best and I hope you are able to figure everything out.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #9
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,632
Re: Underproduction sub-forum

I have been on both sides of that situation and I will tell you that there can be struggles both ways. With my first baby, I had a thyroid disorder that prevented me from giving him ANY breastmilk--not even a drop of colostrum! I would have loved to provide him even small amounts of breastmilk even if I had to supplement with formula.

With my second baby, she had major latch issues. I had plenty of milk, but she wouldn't latch on either breast or bottle. It cost me $700 in lactation consultant appointments in her first month of life just to get her to eat. And every feeding session lasted up to 90 minutes. She just never got very good at it.

With my third baby, I had major overproduction, and once again I was most certainly not feeding my baby "for free." Because my body was making so much milk, it was needing enormous amounts of food to keep up. Not eating as much didn't work, as my body made the milk whether I wanted it to or not and would starve me if necessary. I spent $300 more per month on food--to keep ME from starving--during those 18 months of nursing her than I did at any other time. Formula would have been much cheaper. Fortunately, we had no other issues and she was very efficient.

With my fourth baby, I have chosen to give formula for half of his feedings even though I have plenty of milk, even though we had no issues and he was a good eater. I breastfeed for one feed, then formula the next time, etc. After both exclusively bottle and exclusively breast feeding three other kids, I have realized that a combination is my preference.

I hope this has helped you realize that just because your struggle is different than someone else's, it doesn't make it worse than theirs, just different. Good luck!
__________________
Melinda, Christian Wifey to DH since 6/2003. Homeschooling Mama to A 8/2007, C 12/2009, E 11/2011, and K 3/2014

Last edited by Melinda29; 07-15-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Agla's Avatar
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11,112
My Mood:
Re: Underproduction sub-forum

I think I was lucky in that it took me a month to get my milk supply up. I did nothing but feed for that month though. I didn't leave the house. I didn't sleep longer than two hours at a time.

I had this happen with my last two children and I suspect this one will be the same.

I used to be a La Leche Leader and I'm really glad I did that because I think remembering the stories of the mother's who struggled but eventually persevered helped me not despair.

I had different issues with my other children. My middle was the only one that nursed without issue.
__________________

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.