Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Has anyone else struggled with oversupply/ forceful letdown

My DD is 3 months and close to 17 lbs. I am constantly engorged, and my DD often sputters/chokes while feeding. She also is spitty and throws up from over feeding.

I rarely pump (just a few times when we were traveling when DD was about 6 weeks and maybe once or twice since then) and I easily produced between 8-10 oz in about 5 min of pumping.

I already block feed, and feed DD only about every 4 hours (that has helped the throwing up - as opposed to 3 hour feedings).

This morning I woke up literally spraying milk. DD couldn't nurse at all without choking and sputtering. I finally got a bottle out and just sprayed milk into the bottle, I got 4 oz before it slowed down enough for her to nurse.

I know this doesn't seem like a big deal compared to under producing but was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to help???

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone else struggled with oversupply/ forceful letdown

I did with my first. He screamed through every direct feeding until he was 6 months old, and I guess finally old enough to handle it. When I was out of the house, I pumped and fed him a bottle (which he loved) which kept me from causing scenes with his screaming. I was working outside the home, and I pumped at work (I pumped way more than he needed in those working hours, and I had extra for months after he stopped nursing). I think pumping part of the time helped with him. Do you have a pump so you can pump before you feed her and freeze the extra?
I also did block feeding, and that was helpful, too, so he would get more than just foremilk.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried nursing with the baby laying on top on you and you on your back. This slows the flow as the milk has to work against gravity.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
Have you tried nursing with the baby laying on top on you and you on your back. This slows the flow as the milk has to work against gravity.
I forgot that. I usually fed him while I was laying down, and that helped. Another reason I usually fed him a bottle when out, lol.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had this problem especially in the beginning. If you do pump, make sure baby still gets that first milk as it's super important! It gets better with time. I had mastitis a couple times in the beginning, baby would spit up a lot, fuss because he couldn't drink fast enough to keep up with my spraying milk. It was so difficult. I hope you get some good advice on here. I just wanted to comment because I wanted to let you know you are not alone. We sympathize greatly!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
LReetz
Registered Users

I've dealt with under supply with one baby and over supply with the next. Both are difficult, but I think oversupply is worse since you can't do much to solve the issue. The only think that helped me was pumping a TON and then weaning myself off the pump. I also eat a lot of peppermint (which slows down milk production) and limit my water intake a few hours before bed as nighttime is when milk production is highest. I avoid foods like oatmeal too. My daughter won't take a bottle and she only nurses on one side, so I pump on the other. All of this has helped to the point where she's no longer choking at every feeding. Oh, and she likes to nurse laying down too.
Oddly enough, my milk is super fatty but she's only up to 11 pounds at almost five months. She was born at 5 and a half pounds, but she's still in the 0 percentile. Strange.
LReetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
maggiejoh99
Registered Users

I also have oversupply. I worked with 3 different lactation consultants on how to manage it as my oversupply was making my baby fussy at the breast. I feed him for a few minutes than pump an ounce or two out. This helped tremendously. Now my baby is 4 months old and is no longer fussy. I think I might also have a fast let down because he wimp cry sometimes at the breast.
maggiejoh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:48 AM   #8
iamregina
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY View Post
I had this problem especially in the beginning. If you do pump, make sure baby still gets that first milk as it's super important! It gets better with time. I had mastitis a couple times in the beginning, baby would spit up a lot, fuss because he couldn't drink fast enough to keep up with my spraying milk. It was so difficult. I hope you get some good advice on here. I just wanted to comment because I wanted to let you know you are not alone. We sympathize greatly!
Me too.

Pump when necessary.
iamregina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
Panko
Registered Users
seller

Have you thought about donating milk? There are preemies who's mom is don't make milk. I am not sure how, but you could do lots of good.
Panko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Panko
Registered Users
seller

Have you thought about donating milk? There are preemies who's mommies don't make milk. I am not sure how, but you could do lots of good.
Panko is online now   Reply With Quote