Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #91
ArtyMtnMama
Registered Users
seller

Stupid question maybe...if your toddlers nurse say three times a day what else are they drinking? I'm assuming no other milks? Just juice and water?

I'm at 4.5 mos with my LO and look forward to making it to 18-24 mos. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #92
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyMtnMama
Stupid question maybe...if your toddlers nurse say three times a day what else are they drinking? I'm assuming no other milks? Just juice and water?

My daughter(5) drinks either my milk, or water. She hates juice, and refuses other milks.

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011
Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #93
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extended breastfeeding and the benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyMtnMama View Post

All 3 of my extended-breastfed babies would just drink sippy cups of water and nurse. Sometimes I will put almond milk in oatmeal or something like that, but that's about it. We don't drink much juice (besides homemade smoothies) but they drink it once in awhile. I haven't seen a need for any other milk than mine, even when they are down to only nursing a few times a day. However, human milk is really important for toddlers' brain growth especially through the 2nd year, so I try to nurse my toddlers to 2 years old or longer. Hope that helps!
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #94
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just now read this!
I nursed my son past his 4th birthday. I didnt really limit when/times he could nurse. I didnt nurse him in public as an older toddler, but he rarely wanted to nurse if he was preoccupied w/enjoying life/playing.

After 18mos old he wasnt really "tied" to the boob anymore but did nurse on a regular basis.

I plan on nursing dd the same way, it was such an easy transition and great for comfort and sleep and nutrition.

I wasnt able to exclusively bf ds until he was two months old. He was induced early, was tiny and had a hard time nursing so I had to supplement w/expressed bm and formula (wasnt able to pump enough). I was able to get rid of all supplementation once he was stronger.
He does have a lot of (mostly environmental) allergies and asthma and I wonder if me having to introduce formula played a role in that, but I did what I had to.

I have been able to exclusively bf DD though and I am so happy about that.

I am so lucky that my dp doesnt make a big deal about extended bfing. My ds was nearly three when we met so he already knew this was the road wed be on.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #95
shorty_healton
Registered Users
seller

I am so glad that I stopped in to read this. Great info!!!
shorty_healton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #96
monicav82
Registered Users

I just told my fiance that I am planning on BF past 1 year and that I am following WHO guidelines for at least 2 years. He was a bit dismayed, but I told him this wasn't a discussion issue.
monicav82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #97
baylandria
Registered Users

Great thread! I am breastfeeding baby #5. She is 15 months and not interested in stopping yet.

I have been breastfeeding a total of nine and a half years! Not all the same child
baylandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #98
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's great to see that my post has helped so many mamas. I'm sure there is much more info out there to back up the benefits as well. I'm actually nak right now with my 21 month old son. My daughter is now over 6 years old, and I wrote this thread when she was bfing. She has stopped a while back, but I will never forget the times we had together. She was always a sweet nurser. My son that I nurse now is also a sweety. The only problems I had was my first son who loved to bit me until I bled. ouch.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #99
akmama31
Registered Users

Wow, I didn't know weaning a kiddo before 2 put them at increased risk of illness!
akmama31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #100
Super Mom Wanna Be
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great post! I nursed my baby until he self weaned at 18 months

Last edited by Super Mom Wanna Be; 02-12-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Super Mom Wanna Be is offline   Reply With Quote