Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #41
mlandorf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extended breastfeeding and the benefits

Thanks for this thread. I was very comfortable nursing DS (my second) past a year...but he is 40 months (he was 3 in July) and we are now tandem nursing (since July) and I have had periods of almost resentment that he hasn't self weaned. The family pressure was strong after 18 months then dwindled and is back now, including DH. I can't make him stop nursing...we have tried to limit it to 2 times a day, but we have had a couple weeks where he wants to nurse 4-6 times a day. I usually can keep at 4 or less. I wonder if he will ever wean? But for now we are tandem nursing and I hope #3 nurses for a long time (DD, my first, self weaned at 14 months after we had a miscarriage and the milk supply had suffered, a lot).
PM if you are nursing a preschooler, I could use the reminders that this is normal and he eventually will wean

Advertisement

mlandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #42
Treighsie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nursed my two DS's until they were around 2 1/2.
Now I am nursing my 4 week old and loving it!! I will nurse him as long as I can, as I'm assuming he will be the last baby.
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #43
TandK_Mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you for posting this

My son is 15 months old and while most support it (my dh is our biggest supporter, in fact on days when I want to wean my dh says 'no' lol) others find it 'gross' or 'weird'. My son bf's 3+ times a day and is no where near weaning and I am happy to know the benefits to him and myself :-)

Thank you again
TandK_Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #44
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loved nursing my daughter & really kind of mourned when she weaned herself! She was 18 months, so it's not like we gave up early or anything, but it was such a special time! I can't wait to do it again & I have been praying that baby #2 is a good nurser, too!!
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #45
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is 4 and is still nursed a few times a week. I am happy with that decision and feel like I have given him the best start. If anyone has questions about how it is to nurse a child, feel free to PM me.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #46
blueyes28
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you for posting this!
My ex thinks it's strange that I want to go past even 1 year (he didn't want me to bf to begin with), so it's been a fight! One that's not his business either :P
So thanks and maybe he'll read this if I print it out for him? lol
blueyes28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:49 AM   #47
kertz
Registered Users

Breast milk is the best possible food for your baby and will give her the best start in life.It can give befits to you and your baby.Breast feeding is the only way to give her right food.It will give right nutrients.

kertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #48
clmobley87
Registered Users

I am glad to have read this. I didnt know about the benefits of breastfeeding past a year with my fist daughter. I thought you were supposed to try to go for a year and then you were supposed to stop. I never realized there were continued benefits and thought it was weird to do it longer so I stopped at 15 months to the dislike of my daughter. My second is 16 months now and i thought about trying to wean and looked into it and have found all this new info and am definitely now going to try for at least two years or just wait until she wants to stop. Anyhoo, keep up the good work getting the word out!
clmobley87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #49
newmommy929
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is some awesome information!!! Being a nurse in an Intensive Care Nursery, I completely understand the benefits of bm to babies. My son is 15 months old and is still nursing and LOVES it. I love it to, as it is "our" special time!!
newmommy929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #50
RandBMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loved this information! My DD is 18 months and my other DD is 7 weeks. I thought we were crazy for attempting tandem nursing (hadn't even heard of it before I found myself in the middle of it!) but I'm glad to see there is so much support for extended breastfeeding.
RandBMama is offline   Reply With Quote