Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #51
barefootqt
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Extended breastfeeding and the benefits

Oh what great sticky!! I am bf'ing my 3 mo old, but plan to until at least 2 yrs. DH, MIL, and some of my own fam & friends think its ridiculous. They seem to think it will give LO a "complex" when he's older (whatever). I just figure I can wean him if it ever becaame weird for me (which I doubt will happen lol)...at least DH has come to terms with me bf'ing for 1 year, now I just need to get him past that lol

Advertisement

barefootqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #52
leemarie08
Registered Users

My Mood:

The info was great, I love bfing and hope my dd wants to still nurse after shes a year old..

Leigha RN, WOHM, happily married , BFing , co-sleeping ,, mama of 2 boys 6 & 8 .and 1 girl 3 mos
leemarie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #53
trinalb
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm EBFing my 3mo DS. I used to think BFing past a year was "weird" or "gross," but few people I know have even breastfed at all and those that have only breastfed for 3-6 months at most. Besides that I was always raised to believe that breasts are sexual objects and I was even a little afraid that breastfeeding *at all* would be weird for me, but my goal before DS was born was to BF for a year due to the health benefits for him. Now I find myself realizing I was crazy for thinking there is anything wrong with extended BFing and I hope to be able to do so with DS. Almost my entire circle of peers, however, think it is just as gross (if not moreso) than I used to. Even DH has expressed a similar opinion. I just hope I don't cave because of all the negative pressure.
trinalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #54
marigold_mama
Registered Users

Still nursing my 22 month old ds and 11 weeks pregnant
we love nursing. Perry calls it noosh and nu nu, and he says he's going to share with the baby... he pats my other breast while nursing and says "baby's" and it melts my heart!!
marigold_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #55
Tessie123
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you for posting this, but I am having trouble with my son teething and biting. any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tessie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #56
cdubsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love bfing! I've been nursing for 9 months now, and I can't imagine not nursing...thanks for sharing your thoughts mamas!
cdubsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #57
Erynne-L
Registered Users
seller

GREAT info! I've shared it with my husband, who strongly supports BFing and, after reading this, is coming down firmly on the side of extended BFing. Our first is due in about 4 1/2 weeks, and we're getting very excited about it, while still feeling like we have to try and soak up all the information possible!

- E
Erynne-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #58
sarahw/3boys
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessie123 View Post
Thank you for posting this, but I am having trouble with my son teething and biting. any suggestions?

Thanks,
I recently heard a new way to deal with this, instead of just removing and a firm "No". Push there face into your breast so that they have to release your nipple to breath in with their mouth. It is potentially less damaging than trying to remove a clamped down baby from your nipple. I would still follow with a "No". The less emotional you are about it, the less they should do it.

Thanks for the original post. It is great!
sarahw/3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #59
dragonqueen
Registered Users

My Mood:

great post!
dragonqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #60
Viva!
Registered Users

I'm so glad to read these articles/posts. I have felt like in my heart that "extended" (that word kind of makes me angry because it really isn't extended, it's just what nature intended...) bf is the right thing to do and have been going back and forth. I have decided what will work for me is to BF my son morning and night and that is what I am comfortable with. I have the attitude that I know what is best and I really think it is ignorance or perhaps fear of opinions that keeps people from EBF. I'm very proud of mamas who ignore the criticism. That's my two cents!
Viva! is offline   Reply With Quote