Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Registered Users
Acquired Aphasia?

anyone around that's dealt w/ this?
my son regressed pretty badly after his 15mo shots & has come up to age level (4yo soon) w/ almost everything else, but his speech.
he used to talk quite clearly before he regressed & now it's not even close- he still blossoms & gains new words in spurts, & tho it's getting somewhat easier to understand him, he's still very dis-jointed in his speech.
his developmental ped here suggested that it was acquired aphasia from brain damage from the last shots & that's why the 'altered' state of his speech when it came back.

anyhow- i'm wondering if anyone else has any experience w/ this & if so, do you notice a cognative link also? altho the school says all his areas (except speech) are 'par', IMO dealing w/ him in LIFE (not just "school type tasks/abilities") his mental state is still not up to par. he can pass the tests fine obviously, but outside of that, you can tell things aren't 'right' in his head. i was wondering if this was related & what you've found to help?

i took him out of the school's speech therapy b/c she was just not helping him & he had NO interest in doing the activities she asked, so we've carried them over to our home & have continued to work on them that way. i just don't see that it's helping very much, it's almost like we're skipping the bridge somewhere & he's not "grasping" it still. (btw, he had 8mo of ST from an in-home therapist also, then 4mo w/ the school therapist here)

wife to Sailor Chris; mama to CJ
~~always remembering my Angel Sammy (12*5*05)
& my new Angel Robert Logan (4*18*08)~~
qtvixen is offline   Reply With Quote