Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #11
mommyto2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I shoulda known - DH is NIP-phobic

mine wasn't ok to begin with....

I cover up with a blanket in public and this helps him feel better about it

and really if you want to stay nursing for as long as you can and have a life he can deal with NIP

and when you do talk to him made find out what REALLY is bothering him about it....is it that fact others may see you? how they'll react?

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I refuse to let anyone especially my DH dictate to me where,when and how I breastfeed.
I'm very defiant when it come to it and would given him an earful as I sat there and nursed my DC.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #13
KatieJD334
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never had this problem with my DH, he's more of a lactivist than I am. I guess I would just say that your baby's right to eat over-rules your husband's discomfort. The more he is around you nursing in public, and realizes it isn't a big deal, the more he'll adjust to it. You're not being rude, or exposing yourself. You're feeding your baby. This is why breastfeeding laws exist, to protect your child's right to eat and not force you to nurse on a dirty trash can. I would put my foot down and explain to him that if it makes him uncomfortable, he should go to the restroom and wait 10 minutes until you're done feeding the baby.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #14
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

I don't get why he has a say in when your baby eats? I certainly wouldn't let my dh tell me not to feed dd when she is hungry. And I CERTAINLY wouldn't let him tell me to go into a nasty public restroom, which we try and keep dd out of anyway at all costs. I am shocked and amazed at those mamas who think their dh's SHOULD have any say in your nursing relationship with your lo. To the op, I say just do it anyway right there at the table. The more you do it around your dh, the more comfortable he will get with it and realize it's a normal, natural thing that he shouldn't be embarassed about.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:08 AM   #15
BC Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
I don't get why he has a say in when your baby eats? I certainly wouldn't let my dh tell me not to feed dd when she is hungry. And I CERTAINLY wouldn't let him tell me to go into a nasty public restroom, which we try and keep dd out of anyway at all costs. I am shocked and amazed at those mamas who think their dh's SHOULD have any say in your nursing relationship with your lo. To the op, I say just do it anyway right there at the table. The more you do it around your dh, the more comfortable he will get with it and realize it's a normal, natural thing that he shouldn't be embarassed about.
I totally agree. I nursed in a public bathroom when dd was a few weeks old, when I was still learning etc. The thought of doing that now makes me cringe. I wear a nursing tank top and a t-shirt over that so it's easy to nurse anywhere. Feed your baby wherever you feel comfortable.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #16
Jakesmama2002
Registered Users
seller

I'm so lucky to a lactivisty partner. Buttttttt, if he had said boo to me about nip I would have politely taken babe to the bathroom...
And then when the waiter brought his food I would have said, "oh no, the gentleman will be eating in the restroom this evening. Please serve him there."
Jakesmama2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:43 AM   #17
mother_04_07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post
I refuse to let anyone especially my DH dictate to me where,when and how I breastfeed.
I'm very defiant when it come to it and would given him an earful as I sat there and nursed my DC.
I guess i am a mama bear when it comes to a hungry baby.... i have told people if you don't like it don't look
6/02 ~ 7/02~ 12/03 9/04 Born @ 38.0w LifeFlight/NICU/IA defect Surgery #1@3days old,#2 2/06, #3 11/09,#4 6/10,#5 8/10
7/2007born emergency c-section @39.0wIn STOCK Mama Cloth & PAST WORK
mother_04_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #18
diane24
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dh wasn't nip comfortable either. He would say things to me and I would tell him I was trying to be descret but in the end I said its my desecion and if he had a problem with it he could try to cover me by sitting in front of me or he could go to the bathroom. DD would throw the blanket off when he tried to put a blanket on us. He's still not comfortable with it but he hasn't complained as much.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Dh wasn't comfortable with NIP in the beginning either, but he got used to it and doesn't bat an eye when I whip a boob out in public he'd never admit this but i think he's a lactivist in disguise!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH was not crazy about it at first, but the more I did it, the more comfortable he has become with it. I told him under no uncertain circumstances was I EVER going to nurse in the bathroom. I can't figure out a blanket. He has even told his friend (who's wife is expecting) that it's nothing to him anymore.