Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
Registered Users
Re: I need some help here...

Your stories of the BFing counselors just makes me super excited!! I have some donors right now, and next week I go in to write up a proposal letter. We have a local Kiwanis club that I am going to approach and then I am going to approach our local companies. I am a little bit nervous as I have never really planned anything like this! Thanks for your support ladies!!!!

jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't know what WIC offices are like anywhere else, but my WIC office has been wonderfully supportive of breastfeeding. The lady that runs the program here gave me all kinds of bf'ing advice and they gave me a new dual electric pump. Never once did they try to offer formula at all, they just made it seem like bf'ing is the norm and there wasn't any other alternative. It's sad that not all WIC clinics are that way.
I think it's wonderful what you are doing, and your enthusiasm is so refreshing. You are going to make a big difference in peoples lives. Just think of all the happy healthy babies that are going to be thriving on their mama's milk, and all the mamas that learn to sucessfully breastfeed because of your encouragement. Bless you!
Mama to Zak(21), Andy(16), stepmama to Dillon(19) and loving being a new mama again to Leela 11/21/07 and Levi 5/19/10. I'm gonna be a Grandma!!! EDD 6/2012
bgb699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

good job momma!
I can't help any but I think it's awesome what you and your local WIC office is doing

our 1st WIC office (we've moved a few times) supported BF but didn't have an BF consultants or anything like that but promoted it every other way ...posters, free gifts to those that hit cetain BF marks..(2 months...6 months a year and so on)

this WIC office ...basicly looked at me like I had 2 heads when asked when my (JUST THAT WEEK TURNED) 12 month old was still nursing and wasn't drinking any whole milk
Heather,wife to a Marine homeshooling 7 year old and my 4 year old and our new princess born 4-3-11...cloth diapering, breastfeeding and semi-co-sleeping
mommyto2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by APmommy712 View Post
I was on WIC and saw a bfing peer counselor several times! They also introduced me to a great LC and well, here I am today still breastfeeding my 21 month old. So I know personally that great things can come from programs like this.

Our WIC office also has a rewards type of program for bfing. Their benchmarks are 6 wks, 12 wks, 6 months, 1 year I believe. They collected a ton of local donations for things us moms would enjoy. (Haircuts, messages, free dinners, movie tickets, etc).

I love the idea of tying in your rewards with attachment parenting things, like slings for babywearing. I would say ask local business for donations first and then go from there.

Good luck, this is such a great idea.
Yes, make local contacts, Walmart gives donations, I think you have to go there at the beginning of the month (every month) to ask for what you want. Also, think about asking your local quilt guild to donate quilts! If there is an American Sewing Guild chapter in your area...ask about bibs, receiving blankets, diaper bags, tote bags, burb rags. Think about church sewing groups (almost every church has one). If there is a local yarn about seeing if they have a group that could make blankets or hats, or botties.

I liked the ideas in the quote above for haircuts, massages, movie tickets, etc. All good ideas too.
Janetta in kingwood texas
at, if you enter Referral Code JARX8142 on the shopping cart screen, you'll get an extra $10 off your first order, and I'll get a $1 credit! It's a great way we can both save!
texanntx is offline   Reply With Quote