Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question for those who have miscarried. . .

Has anyone here ever used Cytotec?

My doctor has offered it as an alternative to waiting for nature to take its course or a d&c. It is a suppository that one inserts in the morning and it causes things to move along quickly so the contents of the uterus are expelled and the worst of it is over while you are at home resting.

The benefits to me are that I wouldn't have to worry about it happening while I was at work- I am a teacher and cannot always get to the bathroom when I might like to. I have to ask another teacher to watch my class. I have visions of having to call the office and explain to someone what is going on because the bleeding is so heavy or something. I really don't want another d&c unless absolutely unavoidable- since I have had 3 already. But I am a little wary of Cytotec.

Can anyone share their experience with Cytotec?

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
Thrice Blessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for those who have miscarried. . .

First, I am sorry for your loss.

Do you have to have a D&C or can you let nature take it's course, as you mentioned?

This is the first I've heard of this med-when I had my mc, I was early enough to let things progress naturally.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Blessings~
Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry for your loss hun. I didnt use it because all my miscarriages were natural. But I do know a few that used it and they said that it was much better then a D&C, but be warned it doesnt always make you do it natural you may still need to have a D&C.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Jane456
Registered Users
Formerly: lindsaym
seller

I remember my OB mentioning this drug as a way to induce labor when I was pregnant with my first. So my knowledge isn't miscarriage-related. But at the time, I did some research on it and was really surprised. The Thinking Women's Guide to a Better Birth has some information on it as well. Here is another link: http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...otecwagner.asp. Essentially, this medication has never been approved for use as an induction agent (for labor OR miscarriage) and that in and of itself makes me nervous. I know there are cases of it impacting the delivery of the baby, sometimes resulting in death of the baby. But as to whether there are any side effects for a miscarriage, I'm not sure. It may be worthwhile checking with a local midwife practice to see what they think? Good luck mama! I have had a miscarriage before and I can only imagine what you are going through these days...
Old 04-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was induced with this-not for m/c-but within 30 minutes I had to have an emergency c section because the hard labor that came on caused fetal distress.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure if this will help you but I was given that to induce labor (not a mc) and it didnt do anything. It seems to work for some and not others so it might not do the job for you. GL with your decision and so sorry for your loss
Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
sarahrichardson
Registered Users

I have no advice - just hugs. I teach, too so I know what you mean about it being difficult to get away. Is there someone you could alert that it will be happening so you could just call over a code word or something and they would send somebody? If the medicine doesn't work that might be an option.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought it sounded familiar. I think I had heard of it as something used to induce. I guess it is supposed to open the cervix and cause contractions. I am not looking forward to that aspect. I would so much rather just have a very heavy period!

Thanks everyone for your help. Last week the ultrasound showed a fetus smaller than it should be with a heartbeat of only 80- so Dr. is thinking it is not going to end well. I still have some hope- since there was a heartbeat and you never know what could happen. Friday I wll go back for another scan and I want to be ready for choices that may need to be made.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrichardson View Post
I have no advice - just hugs. I teach, too so I know what you mean about it being difficult to get away. Is there someone you could alert that it will be happening so you could just call over a code word or something and they would send somebody? If the medicine doesn't work that might be an option.
I was hoping to avoid having to tell people at work what is going on. The nurse is really nice I suppose I could work something out with her and she could call the office and have them send someone. But it would all be so awkward. People in the office would be concerned and ask if everything is ok- yadda yadda yadda. The teacher across the hall knows I have had trouble in the past. So she would be an easy one to share with- I could just tell her it is happening again. But I feel bad putting that on her- and when people show sympathy IRL it makes me cry- and I try to avoid crying at work.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its not the safest of drugs, and there have been some studies that have shown it being pretty dangerous. Personally I wouldn't take it...but research is key..so know your stuff and then made an educated decision.

I'm so sorry that your going through this. I've had miscarriage too, so I know the feeling. However, I'm hoping that there is a miracle and when you go in next week things will be fine.