Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Need some advice, DD is sick.

I think dd has a cold, this is only the second time she has been sick, and I'm just not sure what to do for her. She has a low fever, hasn't gotten over 100.9 and we have only been treating it with cool baths and nakey time. She has a little bit of a runny nose, it's clear, and a cough. She's not having any trouble breathing, and is acting and eating pretty good. Whats concerning me is she keeps sticking her toung out and gaging. Like something is stuck in her throat. Could the drainage be causing this? It's just kinda freaking me out. Also, normally we don't give meds for fever, but do you think I should for over night, just incase her fever was to spike all of the sudden during the night?

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Need some advice, DD is sick.

could be drainage. Poor baby. We are going through a tough cold here as well. I would try to give her a little med just to help her rest better, because nothing is going to help her body get over all this than lots of rest. If you have a vaporizor set it up in her room as well, it will keep her moist so she won't end up as congested in the morning. If you have some vicks or baby vicks use that too. If all you have it the grown up stuff and you are worried about putting it directly on her, just open the jar and sit it on a table near where she sleeps, I have done this for myself because I can't stand the strong smell, but it helps me just enough w/o overwhelming me. KWIM
Oh and try to suction her out w/ a bulb syringe before you put her to bed to get as much out of her as possible.

Hope she gets to feeling better soon.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the vicks! Also, when DS had a cold last year, we used some Little Noses. Its worked really well for him and dried him up for a least a few hours.

Last edited by urchin_grey; 09-06-2006 at 12:53 PM.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

She has stopped doing the weird gaging thing, so that makes me feel a little better. I went ahead and gave her the meds for overnight, because DH's family has a history of Fever sesziers and I didn't want that to happen. I know they are generally harmless, but I've seen my nephew have one and it scared the poop out of me. We had some vicks vapo steam and it worked great, even kept DH from snoring . Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't even think about using the humidifier. DH called the doc this morning and they said if she got worse all of the sudden or if she was still running a fever Friday to bring her in.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my DS was younger he got a pretty bad cold and he did that same gagging thing. A couple times he actually started crying and it made the gagging worse and it got to the point where he was just screaming in between gagging/dry heaves. It was so scary! I think it must have been drainage because the crying seemed to make the gagging so much worse. I just ended up putting him in a warm bath to break the cycle and giving him tylenol. (which I RARELY do) After he got a little better he stopped the gagging and i've never seen it since.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote