Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
pros and cons of bamboo vs cotton prefolds

I've decided to take the advice of so many here and try prefolds for my hard to fit (low rise, small waist, giant bum) boy.
Now the decision is which ones to get. I'm afraid I'll be learning the hard way yet again.
Please tell me why I should go for UBIPF vs bamboo. Keep in mind I'll be new to folding and have a squirmy wide baby. I have a snappi and last time I tried to use it, it ended up stuck to my bottom lip

Oh, and if anyone knows a Canadian wahm maker of good bamboo pfs lmk that too.

Advertisement

Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
mrscakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pros and cons of bamboo vs cotton prefolds

bumping b/c I want to know what people think too!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
mommycaitlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Let me just say that bamboo pf's are TDF, they're incredibly soft and super absorbant. That being said, you can't snappi bamboo velour and pins defenitely have a learning curve. I love my unbleached gmd reds too. They're super soft and absorbant.
mommycaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
kaspears17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i suggest just getting a few of each and seeing which ones you like. I also recommend practicing on a doll. Otherwise you'll have a naked baby and prefolds all over the room because you got mad and threw them, or is that just me?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I prefer UBIPFs.

- get softer and softer with use whereas Bamboo gets crunchier
- not as stretchy which means they stay put whereas Bamboo is soooo stretchy that it eventually falls to the knees
- they are EASILY snappiable whereas Bamboo is difficult to snappi

That said - I LOVE the bamboo terry from Googie Baby. Best of both worlds.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
mommysings3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspears17 View Post
i suggest just getting a few of each and seeing which ones you like. I also recommend practicing on a doll. Otherwise you'll have a naked baby and prefolds all over the room because you got mad and threw them, or is that just me?

I love BV, in fact, if I could afford them I'd have entire stash of BV PFs! That said, you can't snappi BV and have to pin them. Some makers will do BV inners and terry or loop on the outside and that is snappiable. But they are more expensive. Here's my pro/con list:

BV:
dreamy soft and silky
great stretch for a perfect fit
beautiful
super absorbent
very trim

can be hard to find
expensive
looses some softness over time and washings
pins only

Cotton:
soft and gets softer with time and washings
fast prep
widely available
cheap
specific sizing available
snappi or pins

not so stretchy
not as soft
requires more prep before use

Hope those help! Took me forever to write this thanks to the phone and then searching for a thumbs down sign, lol!
Jessica, just an every day rebel, Doula, midwife student, writer, homeschooling WAHM to 4, soon to be 5 girls- O- 10, L- 8, H- 6, E- 21 months, and V due 01.14.09 IDSO any Elliebelly colorway on any base.
mommysings3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
gvroach
CEO of Baby Waste Management
seller

My Mood:

Regarding Bamboo prefolds though, you can get them snappiable if you use other bamboo fabrics. Right now Im loving my terry ones from Panda Tushies.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

I like my bv prefolds and my GMD reds equally.

I LOVE the stretch to our bv. Ours don't sag at all -- you have to really stretch them when you put them on, then they bounce back a little and have that perfect hug. My bv have snappiable outers like bamboo terry. My toddler is too wiggly for pins. They also hold more than my GMDs.

GMD reds are lovely and soft and trim.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
kristiashley
Registered Users

My Mood:

I should start by saying I'm totally biased. That being said, we have LL prefolds, GMD brown edge, MD Indian premiums and all of my bamboo prefolds (velour, french terry and terry) and I reach for the bamboo first every time.

For me, it's about fit and absorbency. I started out with all my cotton ones and loved them (I started with pins, so that's what I learned with). Then, I made some bamboo and it was over for the cotton. I have a super skinny kid, no waist and the cotton just doesn't fit him as well, no matter the fold. I can stretch and pull the bamboo any way I need to for the perfect fit, snappi or pin. Plus, I have a super soaker and a bamboo prefold with a bamboo doubler is more absorbent while being trimmer. That's my .

Kristi, WAHM to three lovely little ones, DD (8) and DS (5) and DS (3).
kristiashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
mrstkeller
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiashley View Post
I should start by saying I'm totally biased. That being said, we have LL prefolds, GMD brown edge, MD Indian premiums and all of my bamboo prefolds (velour, french terry and terry) and I reach for the bamboo first every time.

For me, it's about fit and absorbency. I started out with all my cotton ones and loved them (I started with pins, so that's what I learned with). Then, I made some bamboo and it was over for the cotton. I have a super skinny kid, no waist and the cotton just doesn't fit him as well, no matter the fold. I can stretch and pull the bamboo any way I need to for the perfect fit, snappi or pin. Plus, I have a super soaker and a bamboo prefold with a bamboo doubler is more absorbent while being trimmer. That's my .

I just ordered from you this last weekend and am SOOO anticipating trying out your prefolds! I also have googie baby and love it for the stretching and how small the learning curve was!! It's deliciously soft (not silky like BV).

I'm trying a bit of everything as I also have some GMD browns comin' my way too!