Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
boilerbebeRN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Due Dates

I am referring to babies who come early. And yes, it's vital information in treating both moms and babies. Due dates make a difference in how we treat pre-term labor, premature rupture of membranes, and how we treat babies born at different gestations. If I were about to deliver a premature baby, I'd want the neonatologists to know the gestation of my baby in order to be prepared in how to care for my baby and what type of resuscitation measures/assistance my baby might need at delivery and beyond. Also, if I'm at a rural hospital who is unable to care for smaller, more premature babies....it's good to know gestation so they are able to transfer mom/baby to a different facility that can better care for the pair. I wasn't trying to be snarky....just trying to say that due dates/gestation have their place and can be important. In the case going to term, I agree that it doesn't make a huge difference. And I was by no means talking about going past your due date. Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes...not my intention.

Advertisement

Lindsay..::100% in love with the best guy in the world, Matt (married 9.05.09)::..::furrr-Mommy to Mimi (03.08.05)::..::and passionate labor & delivery nurse for the last 10 years! And now turned SAHM! And now loving Everleigh Maryn 07.28.11TTC #2 since 7.2013
boilerbebeRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
boilerbebeRN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by localuna View Post
I was wondering the same.

It's one thing to have a baby come premature. But still, dating wouldn't need to be vital. And if you're referring to a baby going "late," well, that's what non stress tests are for.

Pregnancy and Labor just aren't an exact science. I think due dates should be replaced with due seasons.
Also, dating CAN be vital. In the case that you have a baby measuring much smaller than dates....which could be called IUGR and may mean a different plan of care. (i.e., delivery sooner rather than later)
Lindsay..::100% in love with the best guy in the world, Matt (married 9.05.09)::..::furrr-Mommy to Mimi (03.08.05)::..::and passionate labor & delivery nurse for the last 10 years! And now turned SAHM! And now loving Everleigh Maryn 07.28.11TTC #2 since 7.2013
boilerbebeRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerbebeRN View Post
I am referring to babies who come early. And yes, it's vital information in treating both moms and babies. Due dates make a difference in how we treat pre-term labor, premature rupture of membranes, and how we treat babies born at different gestations. If I were about to deliver a premature baby, I'd want the neonatologists to know the gestation of my baby in order to be prepared in how to care for my baby and what type of resuscitation measures/assistance my baby might need at delivery and beyond. Also, if I'm at a rural hospital who is unable to care for smaller, more premature babies....it's good to know gestation so they are able to transfer mom/baby to a different facility that can better care for the pair. I wasn't trying to be snarky....just trying to say that due dates/gestation have their place and can be important. In the case going to term, I agree that it doesn't make a huge difference. And I was by no means talking about going past your due date. Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes...not my intention.
I didn't think you were being snarky at all! I can totally see why it would be important by your explanation.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

I was just wondering, obviously November seems like a more realistic Month since I am "due" the 31st. I was overdue with DS, so I don't really expect labor on my due date of course, I'm just really keeping my fingers crossed for November. If I go full term it probably will be November, I have the same OB as I did before and u/s said due date was March 20th, I was induced and had him March 23rd, he was exactly 7 lbs, I honestly believe he probably would've come around a week later, maybe less. According to when DH and I DTD back then, the due date was also off by a few days as well...

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
localuna
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerbebeRN View Post
I was thinking more in terms of "Is baby due Nov 11th or Nov 14th.." In which case preterm patients would have at least some idea. And I didn't know you were only referring to preterms. I thought you meant baby's that are over due. I can't tell you how many times I have a client induced because she's simply "over due." Like the baby suddenly spoils.

Didn't step on my toes at all sweetie!
localuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #16
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

If it were me, before my due date I'd go with the earlier one (in case of preemies) and after my due date I'd go with the later one (to avoid unnecessary induction, especially if your dr will only "let" you go 41 weeks or less rather than being willing to wait to 42). Basically, when dealing with the dr I'd go by their new earlier due date, but then if you go overdue and induction comes up, push hard about "remember my original due date? And we even had an ultrasound that confirmed it? I want to do non-stress tests and wait it out til a week after that due date."

And along the way, rather than thinking about your due date, just think in # of weeks since your LMP.

Megan
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
IHaveSpirit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Babies never read the memo on when they are due
IHaveSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
AutumnMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, my situation doesn't really apply to yours, but...

I chart (temps mostly), so I pretty much know the day I ovulate. This baby was actually conceived from dtd SEVEN days before I o'd.

The 'typical' woman o's on cyle day 14, and then 14 days after that gets AF. That's what they base their wheel off of.

I o on day 18, and then it's only 11 days till AF shows up. So what I do is just count back 14 days from my known o date and use that as the first day of my period date.

Of course my Midwives are pretty knowledgeable about how a woman's body works, and charting, so I just let them know my o date.

TBW feedback
AutumnMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #19
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

with DD, doc said 3-17, I said (based on charting) 3-19, she was born 3-13 ...

this time, doc said 5-2 by the wheel, 5-6 based on 2 early u/s and 5/4 by my charting dates oh.. and a 17 week u/s measured some other date but still within a few days.. don't know when he'll come yet!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #20
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFabMama View Post
I think she is just talking about preemie babies. My DH was born at 30 weeks, totally not done cooking. But, he came anyway. So, my guess would be if you had a preemie - it'd be good information for Drs/nurses to know when you SHOULD have really given birth. Like how early is the baby really!?!? Or at least a good rough guess.
I had twins born at 35 weeks based on my lmp. When I stated babies cook until done, that is exactly what I meant, whether baby was born at 34, 37, or 42 and 5 days. Mine were early, but to know exactly what week, 34, 36, etc makes litte difference IMO. Either baby needs assistance or not, regardless of actual gestational age. Mine didn't need any help. I seem to cook my babies faster, others slower. I feel dating has often led to induction. Another reason to lead mom to think her womb, which has grown baby well for so long, now is a ticking time bomb.