Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

righty or lefty?

DH and I are both right handed...My dad was a leftyas a young child but the nuns at his grade school forced him to learn righty and he wrote that was as an adult and out of 8 sibs, only 1 sister was lefty. Now I have read that 1 out of 10 people is lefty..but out of my 7 kids, we have 4 righties and 2 definite lefties, and dd almost 15 months is lefty so far..she eats with a fork very well now, but lefty..and colors on any surface she can..lefty..lol! Now I know she is young but my other kids all chose their preferences by now and stuck with them..if I put the fork in her right hand she will always switch it. So I am wondering what the chances are..lol. What are everyone else's experiences? Anyone else have a lot of lefties?

Nikki
mom to
Shea...righty
Anya...righty
Molly...lefty
Luke...lefty
Noah..righty
Aedan..righty
Lachlan...lefty

Advertisement

milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:30 AM   #2
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Re: righty or lefty?

My grandfather and aunt (both on my moms' side) are lefties. My DD2 was a lefty until my stupid MIL kept forcing her to eat and write with her right hand. The last time she did it I yelled at her to not correct my child from eating or writing with the hand she felt most comfortable. I don't know if this scared my child or what, but for a long time after that, she did everything as a righty. Now she's starting to get back into being a lefty, so we'll see where it goes. And she's 4 now. Who nows, she actually might be like my grandfather and be pretty good with ambidexterity. My other two are righties through and through.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

my FIL is left handed and my mom has always claimed that she was left handed until forced to use her right hand as a child.

i and my 3 sibs are all right handed - i'm very right handed.

so far dd appears to be right handed as well although she's not quite 2 so she still does some things (like coloring) with either hand.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Hubby is right handed I am ambedextrias (sp).

Out of 7 children so far all are righties except for Landan. He is 2 yrs and a lefty!

My sister & Brother and Dad and mom are all righties as well.

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

My mother is a lefty. My sister was ambidextrous until my mother forced her to use her left hand (go figure). I think both of them use their right hand to cut with scissors though.

Oldest ds was always clearly a lefty. Even at the age when all the baby books said you can't tell yet. And he always cuts with his left hand too. I didn't even realize it until he was at MIL's house recently, and couldn't use any of her scissors. We always buy good brands of kid's scissors so it never came up at our house. When ds1 was little my grandfather (mother's father) was upset that ds1 was a lefty and felt that I should encourage him to use his right hand. Funny since his own daughter is a lefty.

ds2 and dd3 are definite righties, and I think dd4 is also a righty but I haven't really thought about it. Dh and I are both righties.

Malka
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
luckyduckies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

me--righty

dh--lefty

dd1--righty

dd2--lefty

dd3--righty

ds1--righty

ds2--righty
luckyduckies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

My ds I swore was a lefty until he was about 3ish then all of a sudden he switched to righty.

My older dd I still can not tell, she is 4 years old and seems to do half and half.

younger dd is only 11 days old but she sure likes to uck her right hand
Old 09-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Both DH and I are Lefties, so it'll be interesting to see which hand DD uses. My mom was working on a book recently and it talked about handedness. Right-handedness is genetic, but left-handedness isn't. 2 Righties have a 9% chance of a Lefty child, 1 Righty and 1 Lefty have a 16% chance of a Lefty, and 2 Lefties have a 25% chance of a Lefty child. I might have remembered the percentages wrong, but they're approximate.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #9
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dh and I are both rightys, I have 2 uncles out of 6 that are lefties my brother is both snd DS is both at 16m altough hes alway threw stuff better left handed, so we shall see
Old 09-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I am a lefty, DH is a righty as is DD #1 I think DD#2 is as well, but she is only 14 mo so it is kind of hard to tell, she definately favors her right. But I am about 50/50 w/ lefthandedness. I write and eat left handed but I use scissors, play softball, Bowl right handed. I am sure there are otherthings I am forgetting too. My dad is left handed and my sister and I both are, my mom is the only righty. I think that left handedness is just the weaker genetic tendancy and that is why you are more likely to be a righty.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote