Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:
13 month Self Weaner???

My daughter is 13.5 months. She was EBF until 4 months, when we introduced light solids, still breastfed until 5.5-6 months, when my zoloft made me lose my milk. At 7 months I was able to fully relactate, with the exception of being able to pump. I pumped all the time before hand. At 6 months, we started supplementing with formula, and have continued this half and half routine since. At 10-11 months, she dramatically reduced her nursings to AM and PM only (wake up/bed time) with the exceptional day with one or two more. Now at 13 months, she has lowered her nursings to once before bed. A few weeks ago, I had a seperations from her, with 4 days of no nursing, and she re-latched just fine, and continued like nothing ever happened. She isn't usually bothered if she does not nurse. The only difference is how long she cries before bed. She usually does a little comfort cry for 3 minutes right before she falls asleep (a whimper type), and if she doesn't get to nurse, it's more like 5 minutes or a little more.

Anyways, back onto my questions... She had gone 2 days again, without nursing, which is not that uncommon, either daddy puts her to bed, or she is too tired to sleep, but now tonight, the 3rd night, she simply refused. She kind of played a game... pretending to taste it then say "MMMmmm" She has refused any daytime nursings since she was 11 months, but has never refused a nighttime nurse... Is she slowly weaning? I have recenly started a new birth control, that contains estrogen, so I know that may be affecting my supply, but my supply is so little to begin with... so that, I wouldn't think would affect her that much...

Any ideas? Should I really just start prepping myself for weaning, or what?

Advertisement

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
KatieJD334
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 13 month Self Weaner???

All of the suplementing and birth control (unless it is the mini pill) will decrease your supply. Birth control can dry up your milk pretty quickly. To her, if she has determined that your milk supply isn't what it used to be, even if she was getting some before, and she's getting her nutritional needs met elsewhere, she's not going to want to nurse. If weaning is what you're after, then its perfectly fine to let her lead the way. You can continue to offer if you're doing child-led weaning and let her decline. If you don't want to wean, I would look for ways to increase your supply and coax her back to the breast.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
irisheyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just thought that I would offer that some of her refusals that you mention, sound a bit more like a "nursing strike" versus actual weaning. It could be due to the decreased supply, you may want to try getting more fluid intake? Or something like mother's milk tea to increase that supply. Adding hormones of any type into the nursing mother's body can cause a decrease or even stopping of the milk production. I hope that is helpful, good luck mama!
irisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

to what they've said. Generally, I think I've heard that babes only tend to self-wean at 2 or later, anything before that is a nursing strike. Not that this is set in stone, just what I've heard.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the information everyone!!!

I am more leaning towards weaning since this has been a very steady decrease, and seems to be continuing that way. Things will go as they have been for the last 3 days (though it's been better... i will update next) and then she will "recover" but usually only 75% of what she was doing before hand. She night weaned at 4 months, and that is not an exaggeration. She was sleeping through the night, in our bed, from 10:30-5:30 with no nursing. I just feel like she is trying to fast track this whole thing.

Now, onto an update, she had nursed 2 times yesterday, and once already this morning, (which is unusual since she has not morning nursed since she was 11 months old!)

She has been taking 4 hour naps lately (the last week) and having troubles sleeping through the night (waking from 4:30-5:30-leg pains/growing pains I think), so I am very hopeful that this has just been a 2 month nursing strike, so to speak from growing pains and teething. I would love to be nursing again at 4 times a day!!! BTW, I do drink Mother's Tea, usually once a day, and try to eat a lot of oatmeal. I do need to up my fluid intake though!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
medaroge
Registered Users
seller

From what you describe, I would still consider it a "nursing strike" It is very common at her age for a nursing strike.
medaroge is offline   Reply With Quote