Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question about this site

I am just curious as to what it is, it may very well be something that helps DS
keep track of page hits, and site popularity.

Really though I was confused that mothering.com was coming up.

Also mothering.com is down.

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
mommyof4es
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I have been stalled out on a thread http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ghlight=doctor

in the lower left hand corner where it tells you the status of the page it says

www.pixel.quantserve.com

Then it also is saying
mothering.com

Any reason it would do that?

Just wondering
It's a market research site, it's recording who goes to the site and wherever else. This will show you what all they're checking --> http://www.quantcast.com/diaperswappers.com
Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof4es View Post
It's a market research site, it's recording who goes to the site and wherever else. This will show you what all they're checking --> http://www.quantcast.com/diaperswappers.com

So are they watching where we are going? Like is something spying on our PC?
The reason I ask this is because 8 times now my comp has told me that I have a internet tracking thing and deletes it.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Also am I reading that right? 39% are male visitors?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #15
mommyof4es
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Also am I reading that right? 39% are male visitors?
I would have to probably say yes to both questions. A LOT of places track where else they're "customers" go. I had a tracker on my family pic website and it showed me which page they came from (google, another site similar, etc.). I'm not sure how they check their demographics, other than what we put in when we registered here, though. Scary thought about all the men and all our kid pics.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #16
felix23
Registered Users

Quote:
I would have to probably say yes to both questions. A LOT of places track where else they're "customers" go. I had a tracker on my family pic website and it showed me which page they came from (google, another site similar, etc.). I'm not sure how they check their demographics, other than what we put in when we registered here, though. Scary thought about all the men and all our kid pics.
I don't understand their demographics. How do they know how much people make and how educated they are? I don't remember filling out that kind of information when I signed up. Oh, and I'm not a typical user since I don't subscribe to Mothering, have never visited diapering.com, and don't shop at Jo-Ann's.
felix23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #17
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Scary thought about all the men and all our kid pics.
I find that extremely rude!!! My husband is on here as well as lots and lots of other dad's. They might not post as much as all the mama's but you don't have any right to assume that all men are creeps.

And how many mama's posted their husbands info when they signed up? I know I send lots and lots of diapers out to men, because its the dad's paypal account that is set up, in fact my husband gets diapers all the time because of this.

I am just saying, who knows where they get their info. It could very well be from the person listed on your internet provider billing, which in my case again, would be my husband.

This is the internet and if you don't want men looking at your kids pics, DON'T post them.
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
mommyof4es
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmamabear View Post
I find that extremely rude!!! My husband is on here as well as lots and lots of other dad's. They might not post as much as all the mama's but you don't have any right to assume that all men are creeps.

And how many mama's posted their husbands info when they signed up? I know I send lots and lots of diapers out to men, because its the dad's paypal account that is set up, in fact my husband gets diapers all the time because of this.

I am just saying, who knows where they get their info. It could very well be from the person listed on your internet provider billing, which in my case again, would be my husband.

This is the internet and if you don't want men looking at your kids pics, DON'T post them.
I couldn't agree more. I wasn't referring to the KNOWN daddies here - your hubby, Nick, etc. I was referring to the men we DON'T know about. Obviously, if 39% are male, WHERE are they?!?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #19
felix23
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmamabear View Post

Are you saying that this site can track our Paypal information? I have used my dh pp to buy diapers, but I have never put any of his information on here. When I signed up I don't remember being asked for a lot of personal information, I have never (that I recall) given out our income or education level. I would also find it very strange if they are getting their info from our internet provider billing. How would our cable company know our education level? I'm pretty sure they never asked that. And how do they know what magazines we subscribe too and what fabric stores we shop at?
felix23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #20
blsimpson
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
I don't understand their demographics. How do they know how much people make and how educated they are? I don't remember filling out that kind of information when I signed up. Oh, and I'm not a typical user since I don't subscribe to Mothering, have never visited diapering.com, and don't shop at Jo-Ann's.
Did some research on this, as I was curious as well, and found this:

"Quantcast gathers its data through research panels (essentially, anonymous surveys) and beacon tracking on websites which need to be installed by website owners themselves. Their demographic data is obtained from their research panels, which they acknowledge isn't entirely accurate.

Like all online traffic ranking services, Quantcast can be useful for general demographic information, but assume some margin of error."

They are not "spying" on you. As for the tracking stuff your computer finds are more than likely Cookies and are placed there by any site that you visit. Click on the link to learn about them..

Sounds like they (DS Owners) are using it to take to Advertisers, to bring them in. Its actually normal for any page that has advertisements. Not doing anything that any other site you visit does..

ETA: just so you can see, some other sites that use the service...

http://www.quantcast.com/hyenacart.com
http://www.quantcast.com/abbyslane.com
http://www.quantcast.com/bumgenius.com

Last edited by blsimpson; 04-11-2008 at 11:03 AM.
blsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote