Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mamas who have lo's with sensory issues~can you help me?

My 5 yo just recently started having issues with her underwear and any waistbands bothering her. She also has issues with socks. Her 7 yo sister used to have these issues, too, but outgrew them. The one thing that is different, is that she insists her clothes feel "wet" all the time. They are definitely not.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'd appreciate any input. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
newtocding
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mamas who have lo's with sensory issues~can you help me?

sorry no help here...but I can relate! ds has always had issues with waistbands--he still NEVER wears underwear!! I thought he was getting better, but just the other day a certain pair of pants bothered him (he says they hurt his sides??) Honestly, I don't see a problem with not wearing underwear. Why let it bother him all day to have them on? Maybe try that with her
eta: Does she have any other sensory issues? My ds HATES his hair cut!! always has, I have to cut it myself, and he still drives me crazy "IT ITCHES!!"--constantly--we go thru a ton of towels (wrapped around him) bc he insists on switching them all the time. Honestly, i thought for the longest time that he just did these things to drive me insane--but am now realizing a little different!!

Last edited by newtocding; 04-11-2008 at 11:19 AM.
newtocding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Hmmm, that's one I haven't heard. Are they all cotton? Maybe fleece would help? And for the underwear, some mama's swear by Hanna Unders

Last edited by 3rockstars; 04-11-2008 at 11:21 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, all my lo's clothes are cotton (I got rid of most synthetics). Those undies are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive! Ack! I can't let her go without, she wears skirts and dresses. LOL!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
qtvixen
Registered Users

is the elastic exposed (like MOST undies- i JUST found some adult ones for me w/ cloth covered waist bands {exposed elastics really irritate my 4yo c/section scar})? if so, if you know how to sew or have a friend, get some soft fleece or soft cotton knit fabric & see if you can't use it as a "binding" to cover the elastic. maybe that would help her. or possibly even going up another size so the waists are looser (but not too loose lol).

i'm wondering tho if she's thinking they're 'wet' b/c they're 'cool'? yk like when the breeze blows thru your shirt it can feel cooler than usual & possibly she's connecting that w/ the cool feeling of wet/damp clothes? but i'd think if that was it, it'd be more of a problem w/ looser fitting clothes like baggie shirts/pants & skirts (which you said she wears skirts & dresses?), i think if that's the case, the only thing to help that would be dressing her in more form-fitting clothes like leggings under her skirts/dresses & more fitting shirts.

i know it can be very frustrating trying to 'fix' the sensory offenders.

to Tera- my son's almost 4 & haircuts are always different, sometimes we'll be fine, others will be pure hell. i've found the *quickest* & easiest on both of us in the long run is to strip him to his diaper in the bathtub on a towel, i usually do a high & tight haircut like dh or a bowl cut & take it fairly short (so we only need to cut it every 4-6wks lol) & take the trimmers out & go to town as quickly as i can. i've gotten pretty efficient w/ them & can finish in about 10min at most (if he's having a bad haircut day), then we distract him by showering him off then let him play in the bath for a while. usually if i hurry, the itchies don't get to him TOO bad then i can shower him off & he's ok.

good luck mamas!
~marcia~
& my new Angel Robert Logan (4*18*08)~~
qtvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She has always worn bike shorts or leggings underneath the dresses, but now she just can't stand any waistbands. They are covered waistbands, too. I guess we'll just have to endure this and hope she outgrows it! I was just wondering if anyone else had the "my clothes feel wet" issue. If she REALLY gets something wet on her clothes she changes immediately, too.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by heluvsme View Post
Yes, all my lo's clothes are cotton (I got rid of most synthetics). Those undies are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive! Ack! I can't let her go without, she wears skirts and dresses. LOL!
notice I said SOME mamas. I can't afford them but I didn't know your budget. That's why I suggested. They look awesome and some mamas with sensory kiddos say that's the only undies their kid will wear because they are cut perfectly and the elastic is all covered and they aren't too loose or baggy. There's a mama on here who makes custom panties(I cannot remember her name but check out wahm wares) from a stretchy material. Maybe she could figure something out for a reasonable cost for you? Maybe make you some spandex-type shorts or "boy shorts" style undies for her? I don't know. Them feeling wet is a new one for me. My 3 year old has issues with shoes and socks and feeding issues but never anything dry feeling wet to her.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
3rockstars
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by heluvsme View Post
She has always worn bike shorts or leggings underneath the dresses, but now she just can't stand any waistbands. They are covered waistbands, too. I guess we'll just have to endure this and hope she outgrows it! I was just wondering if anyone else had the "my clothes feel wet" issue. If she REALLY gets something wet on her clothes she changes immediately, too.
ooooooh OVERALLS! No waistband! And she can go commando!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
ooooooh OVERALLS! No waistband! And she can go commando!
Oh, great idea!! I've never heard of the wet clothes thing. I know that I feel like some clothes are wet if they are cold, if that was the case, maybe put in the dryer before she puts them on to prove that they are dry?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hugs to you Mama! We have issues with our DS #2 with tags. He LOVES them...the problem is that most of the new shirts don't have tags in them anymore...he gets so mad if he can't find his tag. I have made him several tag blankets to carry around. DS # 3 has issues with shoes being tight (he has really wide feet). We have found clogs are awesome for that! He doesn't do strangers either and has to have a binky and tag blanket if we are in public. If you forget the binky it's not a happy day! We are trying to wean him down, but we always have to have it on standby incase he decides he can't get by w/o it. It is so hard to explain to people who don't understand. People always try to come up to him and talk to him or touch him and he will just start screaming like someone hurt him. I always feel bad when that happens, but you really shouldn't go up to someone kid that you don't know and be in their face kwim? Anyways. I say all this to say and sometimes it really is hard to find what works for your individual kiddo, but once you do it makes a huge difference!
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote