Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #11
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: BIG daycare issue- WWYD?

She definately does not have the right to give your child formula. Other than that, even if she was ff, how does she know she wasn't allergic to that particular kind of formula. In my opinion, unless a parent tells a dcp that they can have something at this age, they should NOT give it to them. I would try to talk to her, and if that doesn't work, try to find someone else who will understand your wants and needs from a dcp.

Advertisement

jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

You stated you only leave a bottle 2 days a week. So on the other days, you expect your dd not to have anything to eat or drink while she is there? I don't know what else you expected your babysitter to do. If you didn't leave a bottle of bm and the baby is hungry, then you didn't really leave her an alternative. If you feel so strongly about formula, then you need to make sure the sitter has something to feed the baby EVERY day she is there. It sounds like she was trying really hard to make your baby happy. She tried to call you first and you didn't answer. That put her in a tough position to make a decision on what to do next since she was unable to get ahold of you. She had no way of knowing you were on your way. I would not leave her over this.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #13
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I just re-read your post and you stated that you only leave a bottle a couple of days a week.

A good rule of thumb for BF babies is to leave 1 oz of BM for each hour that you are gone from the baby. That means every day! Be that in the freezer or whatever....

You put the daycare provider in that situation because she didn't have anything else to do for your child.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #14
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

What your dd hungry or was there a different reason for her crankiness? If she actually wasn't hungry then I"d be quite po'd that they were about to give her a bottle of formula. Most babies who are hungry will take juice.

I'd give her another chance but also strongly state that under no circumstances is she to be given formula. If she's at an age where they'd give poofs she's old enough to be given plain water if they know you'll be there soon(less than an hour).
Old 09-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #15
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Ugh, I wrote this whole long thing and my lt died!

I see both sides. But, you also cant have it both ways- you need to leave sufficient food for her to cover any unforeseen emergencies etc.

My dcp is under STRICT orders to not feed Anything that I have not provided. Iíve drilled it into them BUT I also leave several frozen packets of milk there for them at all times and DH works 3min away and home is 5 min away so there is always a backup.

Also, when my dcp calls, I take the call No matter what. If Iíve left my phone I make sure she has a way to contact me immediately even if its paging me through the switchboard or she knows that from x to y time Iím in a meeting and she can call dh or call a coworker who will come get me.

I think that the dcp prob did the best with what she had available to her.

Now, if youíve said NO Puffs and you provide alternate food and she feeds puffs, Iíd pull her in a heartbeat. Thatís completely uncalled for and downright dangerous.
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #16
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would leave her with this DCP, just make sure she has a BM bottle with her at all times, that way she won't ever have to give her Formula. Even if it was wrong for her to give her formula, she was probably only trying to help the child anyway she could. Just make your intentions clear and have BM for her. Good DCP are hard to find. If this one is sweet and caring to your child, then give her another chance.
bethkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #17
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to admit, it doesn't seem like a big deal at all to me. If your child was hysterical, I think it's in her better interest to calm down and have a teeny bit of formula rather that stay hysterical for however long.

The DC provider was trying her best to help your child. I think you're going to have to come out flat and say "I'd rather Bella scream than you give her juice/puffs/formula." Because when I did childcare, if I knew a parent would prefer I not give something, I wouldn't. But if the child was in hysterics, I'd do whatever I needed (that was safe) to calm her.

And ditto the others. I make sure Jack Milo ALWAYS has something to eat. No matter if I've just fed him 5 minutes before I leave him and I'll only be gone an hour.

Last edited by JustAugust; 09-08-2006 at 03:32 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #18
carleyc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I don't really see what the problem is. My DD was breastfed for 14 months, and never had a drop of formula, but if she was away from me and hungry I would rather someone gave her formula or Gerber puffs rather than let her be hungry. That's just me though. Also as you said you were an hour early, and the DCP couldn't get ahold of you, so for all she knew your baby was hungry and you weren't coming for another hour.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset though, just saying that I wouldn't be. I would sit down with DCP and let her know why you were upset, what your expectations are for the future (exactly what you don't want your child to have and why) and set up a plan so that she isn't in that situation again.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #19
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I'm in agreeance with most of the mamas who have posted.

I think DCP was just trying to calm your baby. If the DCP didnt know you dont want her to have forumla or Gerber poofs you need to let her know before hand. I also dont think it would have been the end of the world if your DD was hungry and inconsolable.

And, to repeat what others have said the DCP had no idea you were early - esp. since you didnt answer your phone.

To answer your ? No, I would not leave this DCP. Good ones are hard to find, and if your dd likes her I say just bring more milk and snacks you are okay with your dd having. So there isnt any future issue.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #20
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I BF I wouldnt want them to give my child formula (all my kids have been allergic to dairy so it would cause major issues for them). As for the puffs, if they were the gerber puffs, then they wouldnt have caused any "issues" since most kids can gum them up by about 5-6 mos & your dd is almost 8mos. I definately suggest a back up supply of BM & make a list of what the DCP can give your child so at least next time, they have something they can look at. When my girls were in daycare I made sure they had the lactaid my youngest needed & they wrote in big letters on the fridge that Julia was allergic to dairy but could have x,y,z that contained small amounts (she was okay with cheese & yogurt for some reason). IF they needed to know about a snack or meal they were having, they would call me at work.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote