Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:08 AM   #31
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BIG daycare issue- WWYD?

I just wanted to jump in on this one - as I think I have read all the posts from you and the majority of the others too.... I am sure I don't have to tell you this but never feel guilty for a decision you make on the side of safety for your child. Sometimes situations are hard to full explain here (on boards) and can get mis-read - but overall when I read your thread I was thinking I'd pull my LO. I am not a problem mom either. nor do I have to do DC anymore..but I have and had to pull my LO 2 times! also for a non-approved food issue that went on for days and another for a "neglect" issue ( I mean who puts a 6 mo. old in front of a tv for 1 hours straight wehn they have only 1 other child to watch!! yikes..) anyhow, I digress. After that incident, I stopped using Dc because I could. If you can't stay at home and have to leave LO w/someone then you have to go with your gut. like a PP said - it's all about trust. Another issue too, could be that you really don't want to leave LO at all so its harder for you to accept her with anyone else KWIM??
as far as the formula issue - I think freezing some is a good idea but you had best make sure she understand how to prepare it!! you said she wouldn't take it from a bottle - is that from anyone or just you?? maybe she would take it from a DCP -- hope you didn't already discuss that part

good luck to you - you'll do the right thing.

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2006, 12:11 AM   #32
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you should follow your gut about leaving your child in this daycare or choosing a different provider. If you feel that your DCP cannot pay attention to your requests, then try to find a different one.

My DD (now 4.5) used to go to a center as a baby and they had a list of foods she was allergic to. Oats is very high on the list; eating oats gives horrible horrible eczema.... well one day I went to pick her up and she was eating Cheerios. Oops! It was an honest mistake. I was not happy but tried to be understanding...

Hugs, MOM!!! Remember you know best!!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #33
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am not trying to hijack, but I thought I'd mention for all mommas here, when food allergies are concerned MAKE sure the person watching your child knows. Talk to them directly.

I worked at a mothers day out and they had all this paper work on each child with all their allergies ect, and I NEVER was shown any of this. I had no idea and accidently came upon these papers one day.

Scared me to death that this information was there and I had not seen it.

A child I was responsible for could have had a reaction to something and I wouldn't have know why or what to do.
bethkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #34
momof4
Registered Users
seller

If you go the route of giving the DCP one more chance, you might want to make a sheet or a sign with your expectations/needs, even if you've given them in writing or orally before. Be clear, be brief, and when you give it to her, let her know that this is very important to you.
good luck!
Old 09-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #35
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

I'd have to say that if you specifically said no formula, I would be upset too. Especially if they know she has food allergies. If she wasn't taking juice, she probably wouldn't have taken the formula but why even try if she wouldn't take the juice? Seems to me like she wasn't hungry. I was agreeing with the other mommas too but if there is a chance that she is allergic and they knew that, then no, I'd be mad. And the puffs, if she had other food choices, they should give them to her (I am assuming you provide any "special" food). But she could have forgotten (which wouldn't be good if your DD was allergic to puffs). So I totally understand your point of view and might have been upset too-depending on the details of the situation. When you go in next, I would just tell them (nicely) what your DD can and can't have-maybe even write it down and explain that you wanted to write down what your DD can/can't have so they could check if they are in doubt. This way, it makes it look like they might have just forgotten and you are just trying to "help them out".
love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #36
CDFreak
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi ~

My son has been in daycare since he has been six months, he is a little over 14 months now.

I wanted to say that I agree with the majority of the moms here about leaving a stash of breastmilk in the freezer. Isaiahs, my son, daycare provider had [2] 5oz freezer bags of breastmilk in the freezer in the "just in case" times since I was exclusively breastfeeding. I also understand that pumping can sometime be quite difficult.

I would sit down and talk with yor DCP about the situation but in a calm matter, perhaps expressing your concerns but not pointing fingers. Theres no need to be defensive since I would assume you both want whats best for dd but, I can imagine how upset I would have been.

When Isaiah started eatting solids I went over a list of foods he could have. I also brought his breakfast and lunch so I KNEW EXACTLY what he was eatting [hopefully] along with snacks.

Perhaps have a journal that your daycare provider writes down everything like "Bella ate at, slept at, etc."

I wanted to add.. I had an issue about diaper changes as well, I always thought the DCP changed Isaiah right before I got there so, I was very blunt and asked her how many times she changed him during the day and then asked for her to write down every diaper change. I then would bring that many diapers then an addiontional 2 and if the number was significantly less, I knew something was wrong. it never became an issue again because the DCP had to provide everything in writing.

I would trust your gut, if you feel this provider is the right one, stay with her/him. If your gut is telling you something else then I would start looking asap. It can be extrememly difficult to find a loving DCP. I was on a waiting list for 17months before I was accepted into the oncampus daycare facility. In the mean time I found a in home provider which I loved, however, my gut told me she was better suited for older children. I went with my gut and at the same time I was accepted into the on campus DCF.

I know you want the best for your little one and I understand how it can be extremely difficult to leave your baby in someoneelse arms. Best of luck.
CDFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #37
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I reread everything and I think you need to leave food for your baby whenever you leave her at daycare.

Whether or not you stay with her is up to you. I think left in a lose/lose situation she did what she thought was in the best interest of the child - feed it.

And when your DCP calls, answer the phone. You could have told her that you would be there in a few minutes and she wouldn't have been left in that spot.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #38
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz
I reread everything and I think you need to leave food for your baby whenever you leave her at daycare.

Whether or not you stay with her is up to you. I think left in a lose/lose situation she did what she thought was in the best interest of the child - feed it.

And when your DCP calls, answer the phone. You could have told her that you would be there in a few minutes and she wouldn't have been left in that spot.
I want to reiterate here- she DOES have food at daycare! If you had really read all the posts, you would have seen that. I'm not leaving my kid with nothing to eat. There are approved foods there, none of them were tried.
To the OP who said it is my responsibility to make sure dd takes a bottle, she's been getting one since 2 weeks old- it's definately not that I've never tried.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #39
yaka111
Registered Users
seller

I would be mad. I have done daycare at my house for over a year now, and I would never feed anything that the parents didnt approve of. Especially formula if I have been told ONLY bm....And the juice/puffs thing, boy that is wrong wrong wrong...if you told her before NO, then NO MEANS NO! No matter what. I would find another provider, she may have your babies best interest at heart, but she is ignoring your specific requests. If you hadnt been early, she would have given formula, and who knows if she did it in the past and just didnt tell you??

Like I said, I am sure she means well, but you are mommy, and her employer! If you say NO, it means NO..no matter what!
Thats just mho!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #40
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Well... if you have a child in daycare, not you kissum... just anyone... you have to realize that your DCP is not YOU. They are doing their best to calm a baby with what they know how to do... Perhaps the puffs were just there and easy to try...
I'm missing one thing here...was there bm? did your baby run out of bm? I dont' understand why she tried the formula if there was no bm? How long is your baby there typically? I would need to know the answers to those questions before having an opinion.