Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: More support please...

I also had a very hard time getting DS #2 to nurse. He was in NICU for 4 days after he was born, and I didn't even get to attempt to feed him until he was 2 days old. He wouldn't/couldn't latch. We rented a hospital grade pump, and brought him home. I know all about sore nipples too, a poor latch will do that!

I pumped and pumped and pumped to ensure my supply stayed high, and offered him breast at every feed. Eventually, he just figured it out!

If you can stick with it, it's bound to sort itself out. Nursing is not an easy thing to master, not only do we as mamas need to learn how to do this every time, our babies need to learn as well.

Please don't feel defeated! Things are bound to improve! Hoping things get sorted out quickly for ya mama!!

3boysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
Registered Users
Formerly: hypnomom
My Mood:

Mama... what bottle are you using? My little one had a tongue tie and I had nonelastic flat nipples that left us working out some of the same problems you are having. I did exclusively pump for 5 weeks, but I honestly believe that the Breastflow bottles by the First Years really helped her latch. We used Dr. Browns in the beginning and that did not help at all, but after we switched to the first years I saw a huge difference in how she was eating from the bottle, how she sucked on my finger and how she nursed the couple times we actually got her to nurse when we were using the bottles.

You may want to give it a try.
SublimeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Oh mama, to you! Where are you in South Texas? I am about an hour north of McAllen or 1 hr 15 min from CC. IDK if I can help, but I am here!
Carrie: Mom of 3 gorgeous girls; Hazel 01/04, Annalisse 02/07, and baby Roxy 07/12...
Newly married to my NZ Captain of Awesomeness, proud member of UUA, & Magnum owner LOVER

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

Hang in there! Sorry if this gets a bit long.
My first DD took 3 months to get it right. I won't lie to you, it was one of the hardest times in my life. However, that being said, I was rewarded greatly when we finally got it right. One night, she was just okay and didn't want to stop.
Things I did/suggest you do:
Talk to another LC (a RN). My first didn't help me. Second was over the moon wonderful. both were very nice knowledgeable ladies, my saving grace just happened to know OUR issues better. I spent so much time with her over those three months, she remembered me when she came through the hospital on her rounds when my second was born 2 years later.

Get a shield and a syringe. Not ideal and lots of people hate the idea of these but for me, I know we couldn't have nursed without.

Pump. Nothing wrong with a bottle if that is what has to happen. I also pumped for DD while I worked. I used a hand Avent pump and did just fine. IOP pumping makes your nips tougher anyhoo.

Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter. Hands down the best I tried.

Fill a disposable diaper with water and put it in the freezer. Wonderful on sore boobies.
Loving my three beautiful girls And my hunky hubby
Earn PAYPAL and Amazon gift cards just by searching - SWAG. SWAGBUCKS

Last edited by amybabya; 04-13-2008 at 10:32 PM.
amybabya is offline   Reply With Quote