Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
iamhere77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
any one had an amnio?*UPDATE*

i'm going to have an amnio to test the baby's lungs this coming friday. anybody else have experience with this? i'm kinda nervous

**UPDATE**
so i had the amnio. it was nerve wracking but not painful or too big of a deal. the dr numbed up part of my belly. once they poked me for the amnio, there was pressure but no pain the test results came back negative for lung maturity, though. so i will be pregnant until 36 weeks when they'll do a scheduled c section...unless i bleed first. thanks for the input!

Advertisement

Last edited by iamhere77; 04-18-2008 at 05:30 PM.
iamhere77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: any one had an amnio?

I had one 10 years ago to determine whether or not our dd had Down's Syndrome or a Neural Tube Defect (fortunately she was perfectly fine). I personally would never do that again. I totally understand yours is for a different reason. I was very nervous and became nauseous and almost threw up which caused the Dr to get distrubed. I couldn't help that my body was reacting that way. I assume they are doing yours to check and see if the baby is ready to be delivered. Just try to remain calm and relax. Best wishes to you and the new baby.

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I had one last year.

My DD had IUGR and I was to be induced at 35 weeks. The day before my induction i went in and had the amnio done to check for lung maturity.

I went in and they did 15 min biophysical and NST. Then i went into the room with the doctor and U/S tech. They cleaned up my belly and found the baby's position. They found a pocket of fluid. I was terrified, but it really was not all that bad. The needle is smaller than i thought. It only hurt the last few seconds when i got a cramp as they were drawing out the last of the fluid. They put a bandaid on my tummy. Then they did another biophysical and NST and sent me home to wait for the results.

Sure enough her lungs were mature and I was induced the next day.

If i had to do it again for medical reasons, i would. It was a lot less scary than I thought it would be.

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Ima_to_6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 2 amnios. The first was to rule out any chromosonal issues after the triple screen came back with a very high likelihood of trimony 18 (usually not compatible with life). The second was after having an u/s that showed that my 4th son had a clubfoot (a marker for many chromosonal problems).

The first was very scary and I ended up passing out. My dh wasn't allowed in with me (this was in Israel, not here), so I was on my own. The second one was a breeze; dh was with me, the doctor and nurses were extremely helpful and comforting. The nurses kept my mind occupied with other things by asking questions about our other children.

My best advice is to stay relaxed, think pleasant thoughts, and do not look at the procedure or ultrasound screen while it is taking place. Just close your eyes and go to another place, or focus on your dh and talk about happy things. It's a very short procedure and painless.

Best of luck, mama!!

BTW- my twins were born at 34w4d- they did great. One came home after at 10 days, the other at 17.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
iamhere77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima_to_6 View Post
I've had 2 amnios. The first was to rule out any chromosonal issues after the triple screen came back with a very high likelihood of trimony 18 (usually not compatible with life). The second was after having an u/s that showed that my 4th son had a clubfoot (a marker for many chromosonal problems).

The first was very scary and I ended up passing out. My dh wasn't allowed in with me (this was in Israel, not here), so I was on my own. The second one was a breeze; dh was with me, the doctor and nurses were extremely helpful and comforting. The nurses kept my mind occupied with other things by asking questions about our other children.

My best advice is to stay relaxed, think pleasant thoughts, and do not look at the procedure or ultrasound screen while it is taking place. Just close your eyes and go to another place, or focus on your dh and talk about happy things. It's a very short procedure and painless.

Best of luck, mama!!

BTW- my twins were born at 34w4d- they did great. One came home after at 10 days, the other at 17.
thanks, mama! did you get a steroid shot when you were pregnant with the twins?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Ima_to_6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhere77 View Post
thanks, mama! did you get a steroid shot when you were pregnant with the twins?
Yes, I had them at 25 weeks due to PTL. What about for your little one?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
meamom
Registered Users

I had an amnio at about 18 weeks or thereabouts to determine whether my DD had the Kell antigen or not. It wasn't pleasant but it wasn't as painful as I thought it might be. Of course, I've had plenty of more painful procedures with this pregnancy since then so maybe it's all relative!

Good luck. Have someone there, close your eyes, find your happy place. It's usually very quick.

Cara ~ mama to Lila Wren (b. 1/16/07) and Rosalie Pearl (b. 5/11/08 six weeks early)
Come visit my mama blog!
meamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
iamhere77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima_to_6 View Post
Yes, I had them at 25 weeks due to PTL. What about for your little one?
yep at 24 weeks
Old 04-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
ocean_o_curls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had one around 36 weeks to checl lung maturity it wasn't as bad as i though the needle is big and hurt a little but i would do it again. Her lungs were not mature and i ended up needing steroid shots
Old 04-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
iamhere77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: any one had an amnio?*UPDATE*

bump for update in OP