Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Exclamation Sharing an e-mail I recieved..A call for all women to support the Breastfeeding Promo

Dear Friend,

Just a couple of months ago, a mother was kicked out of a museum in New York for breastfeeding, a perfectly legal act in that state. [1] Mothers continue to suffer discrimination and humiliation for breastfeeding, even though doctors recommend breastfeeding for all infants. Clearly we need Congress to pass the Breastfeeding Promotion Act (H.R. 2236) now--before more mothers are stigmatized and humiliated for breastfeeding.

But this Act is currently stalled in Congress, and isnít going to move forward without increased citizen pressure. You can supply that pressure.

(And forward this email to friends now so they can take action too. All of our voices are needed to get the Breastfeeding Promotion Act moving forward).

MomsRising members have successfully raised awareness about the need to protect the rights of breastfeeding mothers in the past and can do it again. Last year, MomsRising members and other activists changed Delta Airlines corporate policies when a mother was kicked off a flight for breastfeeding.

We can harness this same power to push through the Breastfeeding Promotion Act, but we need your help contacting Congress. Let's support mothers who are nurturing and caring for the next generation of Americans. Those nursing babies may not be able to vote, but their mothers can!

Forward this email so your friends and family can contact their representatives too. Itís going to take all of our voices, and then some to get this legislation moving forward. We need tens of thousands of messages to go to Congress supporting breastfeeding.

Here's that link again in case you need it:

Thank you!

P.S. THE LOWDOWN ON THE BREASTFEEDING PROMOTION ACT: Representative Carolyn Maloney's Breastfeeding Promotion Act (H.R. 2236) would amend the 1964 Civil Rights Act to protect breastfeeding by new mothers by providing tax credits to employers who provide a place to breastfeed and/or provide breast pumps. This makes it a lot easier for women who want to give their babies breastmilk and keep their jobs. As you may know, 82% of American women become mothers by the time they are forty-four years old, so this issue is critically important to a large portion of our nation. To read the bill, visit The Library of Congress Website

wendellg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Sharing an e-mail I recieved..A call for all women to support the Breastfeeding P

Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Sharing an e-mail I recieved..A call for all women to support the Breastfeeding P

Thanks mama, sent my message and will add to blog!
Areka ~ mama to Ava (7/06) and Rowan (2/09)
Custom nursing covers click :here:
Independent Demonstrator with Uppercase Living!!!
I love my job, ask me more about it!
APmommy712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I took my youngest two kids to the nurse-in Rep. Maloney's hosted on Capital Hill last year for the Breastfeeding Promotion Act. I had never seen so many mei tais, wraps and slings in my life. It looked like a NINO conference. It was great. I was disappointed that none of the local media seemed to cover the event, but there was a major anti-war moms protest in DC the same day and that drew a lot of press.

I wonder if they are going to have something like that again this year.
Christine, Wife to Reggie & BFing, BWing, CDing Mama to 4 great kids!
RJ (11y),Christian (8y),Olivia (4y)&Colin (2y Hirschsprung's Disease)
Au Pair in America - Live-in child care with a cultural flair.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have sent my congressperson an email through the link. What a GREAT Act. I love the part about how buisnesses can get a tax break for supplying pumps. Illinois already has a law that a company must supply a lockable room for breastfeeding mothers to use to pump.

I would love to know if their is another nurse-in. That sounds like a wonderful idea! I would really like to see that!

Mamma to two wonderful kids;
Jessica, 16 and Nicolas, 3 yrs
JenniferJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Thank you for sharing this!
BabyOReally is offline   Reply With Quote