Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Increasing milk without Fenugreek...what can I take?

I have issues with low milk supply. To spite my best efforts, it just can't seem to maintain.
Early on, I was taking Fenugreek to help boost production. While it does pretty well, it also gives my daughter horrible gas and makes her fuss and cry for the entire time I use it.
So, I stopped taking it and now my supply is down low again. Im drinking a lot of water and avoiding caffeine, so what else can I do to boost supply?
I havnt been able to reach anyone at LLL, so Im hoping some of you ladies can offer me some advice.

I heard Brewers Yeast or even oatmeal can boost supply. Does anyone know if thats true?

My daughter is definately unhappy with her milk availability. She gets hungry every 45minutes - 1 hour and has had fewer poopy diapers this past couple days. I feel HORRIBLE that I cant seem to give her enough to eat.

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: Increasing milk without Fenugreek...what can I take?

I have used the oatmeal when I was trying to relactate. I'm really not sure if it helps any, LOL, but it's sure worth a try. I ate those little oatmeal squares that Quaker Oats makes, KWIM? It fills you up anyway, if you need a snack.
Here's a link at kellymom.com about increasing supply using herbs. In short, it says fenugreek, blessed thistle and alfalfa.
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html
There's also a link on that page about increasing low milk supply in general. I think those herbs were the ones I heard of while trying to relactate, also.
I hope that helps a little, good luck!! You're doing great!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i ate lots of oatmeal and it works great! i ended up with oversupply and would have to still pump after feeding danae.
also root beer like barqs, i drank to help make more milk, these both were from the advice of my oB and they worked for us
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Why does root beer work? LOL I could do root beer floats all day.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Have you thought that maybe it's not your supply - maybe your dd is just hitting a growth spurt and that's why she's wanting more milk? If she was born 7/20 of this year, that makes her about 6 weeks and that is PRIME time for a growth spurt. Wanting to nurse every hour for a few days would be totally normal!

Not having as many poopie diapers could be another sign of growth spurt - baby is using up every last bit of nutrient so they poop less. Also, it's not unusual for EBF babies to go days, even a week or more, between poops. Doesn't mean your supply is down, just means that baby is so good at sucking nutrients out of BM that there's just nothing left over! I'd be more concerned about baby not getting enough to eat if she was dehydrated - if she's still peeing a lot, has tears, no dry mouth, she's probably getting plenty.

Don't stress out mama! You're doing a great job! If it's just a growth spurt, her constant nursing will increase your supply naturally and she'll be back to normal in just a few days.

rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the growth spurt as the likelihood. Also, right about 6/7 weeks a lot of BF babies stop pooping as much, it is very normal. They also only eliminate what they don't digest, and their intestines start to work better around now too, so they can absorb even more.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've actually had milk supply problems since the very beginning. It took my milk an extra long time to come in (when compared to the average 2-3 days PP) and between plugged ducts and thrush, my milk came and went those first few weeks. Even when pumping I can typically only get an ounce in a sitting, and thats with 20+ minutes of trying.
I would always nurse frequently in hopes it would boost me naturally, but so far it hasn't really done the trick. Ive also tried pumping between feedings (also, no results).

As far as why root beer works, Im guessing its because Annis seed is used to flavor root beer, and annis and fennel are quite similar (fennel being in the fenugreek family). Just my thoughts anyways.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
gala
Registered Users

Don't worry about how much you can pump - at 6 weeks an ounce is fabulous!! Remember your baby is far more efficient at getting milk out than a machine is. I've got a 4 month old and have been back to work for 6 weeks now, and I still only average 2-3oz per pumping session.

Oatmeal definitely helps. I see a big difference on days I don't have any. You can try Mother's Milk Tea a few times a day (available at GNC, or in other natural foods stores - I found some in my local grocery store's natural/organic section).

But by and large the best thing you can do is keep feeding her yourself! Your supply will catch up with her growth spurt. Any time she needs to suck, let her. Let her take the lead, even though it can be a bit of a drag. I really wish someone told me that she would want to (and COULD!) eat every 45 minutes to hour, just like yours. It's perfectly normal, and will help stimulate your supply.

Good luck!!
gala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I have heard oats (oatmeal) and flaxseed are great for boosting supply. I haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet, still waiting on my bun to get out of the oven, LOL. I hope they work for you. Let us know. I have a recipe for lactation cookies and they contain oats and flaxseed, everyone that I have heard used the recipe says they work. But you can always get ground flaxseed and add it to a bowl of oatmeal, or anything really, I like it in yogurt.

Here is a link to the recipe.

http://community.livejournal.com/bre...g/2288837.html

HTH!!
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My best advice is frequent nursing... how many diapers is your child wetting that is the best indication. I really think you need to speak to someone in LLL irl... they will best be able to help. Its so hard to get all the details from online. Go to the LLL website and look groups in your area. There should be a list on names and phone numbers. Call they are used to it.... they will be able to ask you specifac questions to help get the answers you need.

BTW I am a LLL leader... I have dealt with alot of issues you have been dealing with... including the rough start and loss of milk. I did loose ALL of my milk and re lactated. The best way is to keep nursing frequent stimulation builds supply.