Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #11
ikenollie
Registered Users

Re: Increasing milk without Fenugreek...what can I take?

Oh! reading your post brings me back to five weeks ago. I was in the same situation as you. I went in for a lactiation consulation and they asked if my baby was 2 weeks old, when she was really 6. She was sooo tiny. They weigherd her and she was only 6 oz above birth weight (6 lbs 12 oz). Milk supply was low due to a medication I need to take and baby had naturally weak suck. So at 6 weeks, I saw the same things you are seeing, with a lot of fussiness and and dark green watery b/m's. So the lc's put me on a fenugreek and Blessed Thistle coctail and a really intense feeding, pumping , feeding schedule. I was either nursing or pumping all day long. So feed 10 mins on one breast, switch to other, supplement with 2 oz's of milk, then pump for ten minutes. I had about 20 minutes in between cycles. I finally switched from a 2 oz bottle supplement to using 2 pz through a suplemental nursing system...dh was getting confused. So this took 10 minutes out of the cycle. The pumping at the end of the feeding helped get the 2 oz for the next feeding and also increase milk supply. This seemed to really work for me. If I stop my supplements though, I definately see a decrease. And the initial increase with blessed thistle and fenugreek took about 72 hours to see results. I took four pills three times a day of each. I was fortunate I did not have the gassy effects in dh. My thoughts are with you! If she is gaining weight though, you may have nothing to worry about! It may be the infamous growth spurt. I did also get an infant scale (borrowed) to weigh her every day . It made me more confident and confortable with the feeding all the time. If baby is gaining, then there is nothing to worry about. Good luck! And LLL will be great support. Hang in there.

Advertisement

ikenollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #12
YumaDoula
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have one word for you....

DOMPERIDONE.

I am a BFAR (breast-feeding after a reduction) and nearly all the BFAR women out there take it. It gives you a HUGE boost in your supply. You can get it at http://globaldrug.tv

I cannot recommend it enough. I never thought I'd be able to have my dd 100% exclusively b****** because of my supply, and I DID!

Looking forward to a new butt to fluff in December!
YumaDoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #13
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula
I have one word for you....

DOMPERIDONE.

I am a BFAR (breast-feeding after a reduction) and nearly all the BFAR women out there take it. It gives you a HUGE boost in your supply. You can get it at http://globaldrug.tv

I cannot recommend it enough. I never thought I'd be able to have my dd 100% exclusively b****** because of my supply, and I DID!
Are there any studies about it's effects on mom and baby? I would really be nervous about taking an actual medication unless I knew for certain it didn't have any potentially harmful side effects.
I will ask my Doctor about it if I can't find anything else that helps.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #14
sharebear2u
Registered Users
seller

Here is a link for a tea that really helped me the last time I was nursing. I know that it has th estuff everyone else has mentioned, BUT it worked better for me to drink it than a capsule/pill form. Plus it didn't taste bad.
GOOD LUCK!! And remember that giving your baby as much milk as you can is awesome. Don't feel bad if you have to supplement.

http://www.tealand.com/MothersMilk.asp

MOTHERíS MILKģ
Promotes Healthy Lactation*

Motherís Milkģ promotes healthy lactation by combining herbs used in traditional Greco-European herbalism prepared as tea infusions to activate and promote lactation in nursing mothers.* Motherís Milkģ is based on a synergistic combination of seeds traditionally used as galactagogues (agents that increase the flow of milk), including fennel seed, anise seed and fenugreek seed.* Their actions are enhanced by herbs traditionally used to stimulate the appetite and increase the flow of bile into the intestine, blessed thistle herb and coriander seed.* Soothing demulcent support is provided by althea root and fenugreek seed.* Motherís Milkģ is a balanced and good tasting herbal blend formulated to enhance the nursing experience.

Motherís Milk Proprietary Blend: Sweet fennel seed, anise seed, coriander seed, spearmint leaf, lemongrass leaf, lemon verbena leaf, althea root, blessed thistle herb, fenugreek seed.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

**Organically grown and produced in accordance with the California Organic Foods Act of 1990.

$3.99 for 16 Individually Wrapped Bags. Suggested Retail $4.49
sharebear2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #15
mum0fthr33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just going to put mothers milk tea up someone beat me too it its about $4.00 us GNC it works pretty good I had a 2 moth early baby and couldnt breast feed her till she was over a month old and it helped boost my supply so I could pump and take it in to the hospital never had a gas problem or anything with her when i was taking it I still take it off and on
mum0fthr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #16
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought a box of nursing tea. On the back it says to drink 3 cups a day. Is this what you other girls do? I just cant imagine buying a box every few days.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #17
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mother milk tea has fanugreek in it, though not as much as a pill, but my son still reacts badly to it (I have like 2 boxes that I cant even use because of this). Everyone here has great suggestions, I would also say nonalcoholic beer (the hops) is supposed to help. I have supply issues too, and my ds who is 11 wks old still nurses about every hour during the day, and about every 3 hours (somtimes more) at night. I hated it at first, but I realized that if I wanted to exclusively BF then that was the schedule we had to follow. I drink 1/2 gallon water a day, and that is not including my other drinks like juice, tea, etc. And I try to do nothing (clean laundry pile is about to reach the ceiling) but rest, eat, and drink fluids. I also started taking a B-complex supplement because I read on a few websites that a low milk supply may be a sign of not enough b-vitamins. If nothing helps, I would suggest a supplemental nurser system. I havent tried one although I have definitely thought about it, but it would allow you to breastfeed and supply the extra nutrients through formula or expressed breastmilk. I also looked into domperidone, but nervous about taking a drug. Hang in there mama, it gets easier, and it doesnt last forever so try to enjoy it!!!
LaniMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #18
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I didn't think that perhaps doing too much would affect my supply. I have one of those husbands that is totally blind to a messy house, so if I dont clean, it doesnt get done. I dont ever sleep when Emma is napping...I usually spend that time on laundry, dishes or general cleaning. Maybe I AM overdoing it?
Im planning to drink 3 glasses of that tea today. Lets hope it works! Ive also been eating a big bowl of rolled oats in the morning...so far not much change but perhaps its takes longer?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #19
awesome amy
Registered Users

You guys have been so informative on what to do.
Thanks for you ideas and advice. I printed up a copy of the cookies receipe, making it this week!!

Cannot wait to try them out and share it with friends. All the links given are great!!

Amy
awesome amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #20
sewingmama2005
Banned
seller

Well...honestly, if you like beer, drink a beer a few hours before or right after you nurse your child. The hops and brewers yeast in it will really help increase milk supply (advice from my midwife and it really does work).
sewingmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote