Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
allycat's Avatar
allycat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MI
Posts: 1,122
My Mood:
If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

What treatments/therapy are you doing if you have a child on the autistic spectrum? Especially if you have a child 5 and over?

We are trying to figure out what would help best for our dd. She is super high functioning. Her main issues are socially, anxiety, agression, regulation. Thanks!

Advertisement

__________________
HS mom to 4 kiddos- dd-12, dd-9, dd-6 (autism spectrum) and ds-4
allycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
mommy2bugnbugga's Avatar
mommy2bugnbugga
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Navarre, FL
Posts: 583
My Mood:
Re: If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

My dughter is 5 years and has P.D.D. She takes clondine and risperdal at night. She also gets speach therapy 3 times a week, special ed 5 days a week (for 1 hour, she goes to regular class the rest of the time), and Occupational therapy to work on social behaviors. Next month she starts with a regular "therapist" to help her learn how to cope with her behavioral problems during school. HTH you!
mommy2bugnbugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
iris0110's Avatar
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: N TX
Posts: 15,022
My Mood:
Re: If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

Kearnan is 6.5, he regressed after his 18month vaccinations and later testing showed brain damage from encephalitis. So some of the stuff we do is kind of specific to his other medical issues. He was diagnosed with PDD NOS, sensory integration dysfunction and speech delay. He gets occupational therapy twice a week for 45minutes where they work on his dysgraphia and sensory issues. He also has feeding therapy twice a week. There they work on him eating somethign other than chicken nuggets. He used to get speech therapy through the school system but it really didn't do anything for him, when the therapist that he loved left and we moved we didnt' bother re-enrolling him for it. It just wasn't worth the effort. He also does therapeutic riding once a week in the fall and spring, that has helped with his self care and sensory issues, and it is a huge confidence builder. On top of this he sees a DAN! Dr who treats him biomedically (and was kind enough to refer us to a pedi gastro for testing which has been a huge help). He was treated for intestinal yeast and a nasty bacterial culture. He gets supplements of magnesium, zinc, and acidophilus to build back his immune system and because at the time of his biopsy he had no healthy intestinal flora at all. He also gets a b12 injection 3times a week. That has been a huge thing for him, it really helps. In the year and a half since he started biomedical treatment he has almost completely outgrown his diagnosis. He is now within normal range for speech and his self care and social skills have improved to where he is only about a year behind his peers. He is finally potty learned ect. He does still have sensory issues and he is going to see an optomitrist soon to see if some of his writing and sensory issues relate to eye problems. All in all it has been amazing. But it worked because of the root cause of his issues, it wouldn't work for all kids. Now the riding therapy I would suggest to anyone, it is amazing.
__________________
ShannonInk'd, Atheist, Liberal, Part Time Large Equipment Mechanic, HS-ing, Mum to ASD Ninja Kearnan (8-4-01) & Derby Boy Tharen (12-1-05)
Always remembering Arawyn Born Silently (12-21-03)
Crocheted longies/shorties, toys and more see samples Arawyn's Garden Crochet
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
allycat's Avatar
allycat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MI
Posts: 1,122
My Mood:
Re: If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

We have therapy riding center near us. I should check it out. Not sure about prices though. That would be really fun!
__________________
HS mom to 4 kiddos- dd-12, dd-9, dd-6 (autism spectrum) and ds-4
allycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
maddy's Avatar
maddy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 459
Re: If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

I was just at an Autism Conference and was introduced to Integrated Play Groups. The idea is that for 40 minutes to an hour 2-3 times a week your child with autism is in a play group with 2 other children who are not on the spectrum. The child on the spectrum learns from the other two kids and the other two kids learn about autism and inclusion occurs.
Often I see kids being pulled out of their classes to work onene with an adult when really they need lots of help navigating social situations with peers. If you google Pamela Wolfberg and Heather McCracken + autism you should gets lots of info about this model of therapy.
__________________
mama to Audrey Alexandra14/12/07
WAHM behind SMARTYPANTS TIGHTS PATTERN NOW AVAILABLE HERE
Email me if you are interested in a custom; madeleine@smartypantsknits.com
maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
iris0110's Avatar
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: N TX
Posts: 15,022
My Mood:
Re: If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allycat View Post
We have therapy riding center near us. I should check it out. Not sure about prices though. That would be really fun!
You should, some insurances will cover it. You might also want to google riding therapy or something similar, Spirit Horse where Kearnan rides is free of charge. It is the largest free of charge equestrian therapy center in the US, but there are others. The social worker from SSI recomended it to me, they know all of the services in the area. Maybe you could try to reach out to ECI in your area? Even if your child won't qualify for their services they may be able to get you in touch with other programs that could be beneficial. Like social work groups and camps, Play therapy, aquatic therapy ect. Some of which could be cheap to free. As well as finding parent support groups who also have some great info.
__________________
ShannonInk'd, Atheist, Liberal, Part Time Large Equipment Mechanic, HS-ing, Mum to ASD Ninja Kearnan (8-4-01) & Derby Boy Tharen (12-1-05)
Always remembering Arawyn Born Silently (12-21-03)
Crocheted longies/shorties, toys and more see samples Arawyn's Garden Crochet
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
momto3g4b
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 211
My Mood:
Re: If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

Ummm.... nothing at this time aside from digestive enzymes and being casein-free.

There's nothing available around here for ASD kids. I mean, there's OT/ST/PT, but so few therapists that kids get only 30-60 minutes per MONTH of services, so it's useless.

Private therapy is covered by insurance for 30 sessions per year.... 15 weeks' worth. We did OT last year and I probably should do it this year, as well.

When David (6.5, autism) was young & we lived in Georgia and then Florida, he was in therapy 6 hours per week (OT, PT, ST, social skills group) and we did ABA for 15-20 hours per week. He made incredible progress then. Unfortunately, his development has slowed and he's stagnated a lot since we've moved to southern Oregon.

He's homeschooled and is slowly learning to read and write. In the past few years, I've had to learn to accept David's autism (though I still don't LIKE it) because it's not going away. I had had dreams of him becoming indistinguishable from his peers (being "recovered") and that might have happened if he had continued to receive the level of services that were available in Florida, but Oregon just doesn't have squat by comparison.

My 15 year old Aspie and 9 year old Aspie don't receive any services at all and they're fine. We work on social skills via real-life experiences as there are no group therapies available here.

My 4 year old PDD-NOS also gets nothing for services. He has an ariculation disorder and was offered 30 minutes of speech therapy per month. Whoopity do. I bought a home speech therapy program through NATHHAN called Straight Talk and it is helping me teach Isaac to speak more clearly.
__________________
Kate, mom to 7
My blog
Joshua's caringbridge page
momto3g4b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,217
My Mood:
Re: If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

My son is 5, PDD-NOS/globally delayed. He is in speech therapy 2x a week, OT and PT 1x a week. He is also in special needs/spec. ed. preschool.
__________________
Bfing & Cding SAHM
Adamsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
allycat's Avatar
allycat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MI
Posts: 1,122
My Mood:
Re: If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy View Post
I was just at an Autism Conference and was introduced to Integrated Play Groups. The idea is that for 40 minutes to an hour 2-3 times a week your child with autism is in a play group with 2 other children who are not on the spectrum. The child on the spectrum learns from the other two kids and the other two kids learn about autism and inclusion occurs.
Often I see kids being pulled out of their classes to work onene with an adult when really they need lots of help navigating social situations with peers. If you google Pamela Wolfberg and Heather McCracken + autism you should gets lots of info about this model of therapy.
Wow, this is very helpful!! THank you so much for this info. I really think that this would help my dd. She is very high functioning, but has social problems. I think this is a very good approach. Thanks!!
__________________
HS mom to 4 kiddos- dd-12, dd-9, dd-6 (autism spectrum) and ds-4
allycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
allycat's Avatar
allycat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MI
Posts: 1,122
My Mood:
Re: If you child is on the autistic spectrum, what treatments are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3g4b View Post
Ummm.... nothing at this time aside from digestive enzymes and being casein-free.

There's nothing available around here for ASD kids. I mean, there's OT/ST/PT, but so few therapists that kids get only 30-60 minutes per MONTH of services, so it's useless.

Private therapy is covered by insurance for 30 sessions per year.... 15 weeks' worth. We did OT last year and I probably should do it this year, as well.

When David (6.5, autism) was young & we lived in Georgia and then Florida, he was in therapy 6 hours per week (OT, PT, ST, social skills group) and we did ABA for 15-20 hours per week. He made incredible progress then. Unfortunately, his development has slowed and he's stagnated a lot since we've moved to southern Oregon.

He's homeschooled and is slowly learning to read and write. In the past few years, I've had to learn to accept David's autism (though I still don't LIKE it) because it's not going away. I had had dreams of him becoming indistinguishable from his peers (being "recovered") and that might have happened if he had continued to receive the level of services that were available in Florida, but Oregon just doesn't have squat by comparison.

My 15 year old Aspie and 9 year old Aspie don't receive any services at all and they're fine. We work on social skills via real-life experiences as there are no group therapies available here.

My 4 year old PDD-NOS also gets nothing for services. He has an ariculation disorder and was offered 30 minutes of speech therapy per month. Whoopity do. I bought a home speech therapy program through NATHHAN called Straight Talk and it is helping me teach Isaac to speak more clearly.
It is hard because everything is so expensive! It is also hard to find a person that is quality to work with. We are kinda in the same boat. I think that some therapy and social groups would be helpful for dd, but can't afford it hardly and I don't think that she would get much services even if she was in school. I've heard good things about NATHHAN.
__________________
HS mom to 4 kiddos- dd-12, dd-9, dd-6 (autism spectrum) and ds-4
allycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.