Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #11
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: heres another question? medicated or non medicated birthing?

have you considered looking into hypnotherapy? I've heard some mamas swear by it. Instead of looking to a drug, even an alternative one, to help take the edge off, it teaches you early on how to draw from within yourself and take a different approach with it. Or have you considered a water birth? Water really helps take the pressure off and helps a lot with the pain, you feel weightless.

It is a scary thing to face, but you never know how strong you really are until you go through it. And regardless, the pain melts away the second it's over and you hold your bub, and it's best to be as clearheaded as you can for that first meeting, if you're drugged, nauseous, light headed, dizzy from meds, it's not as monumental as looking at it totally clearheaded.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naivete View Post
have you considered looking into hypnotherapy? I've heard some mamas swear by it. Instead of looking to a drug, even an alternative one, to help take the edge off, it teaches you early on how to draw from within yourself and take a different approach with it. Or have you considered a water birth? Water really helps take the pressure off and helps a lot with the pain, you feel weightless.

It is a scary thing to face, but you never know how strong you really are until you go through it. And regardless, the pain melts away the second it's over and you hold your bub, and it's best to be as clearheaded as you can for that first meeting, if you're drugged, nauseous, light headed, dizzy from meds, it's not as monumental as looking at it totally clearheaded.
Thanks for reminding me, I should have mentioned something about this. I took a Hypnobirthing class early on in my pregnancy. If I had practiced more I think it would have been totally awesome, but I am the self-proclaimed Queen of the Procrastinators, so I didn't practice much. It still did help me a lot and if it is taken early enough and practiced regularly I totally believe it would work for pain management.

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
nursingmama
Registered Users
seller

Well, I'm one of those mamas who has had: appendicitis, a birth with an epidural, and a drug-free birth, so I hope this will be helpful!

Appendicitis and an appendectomy in my memory was wayyyy more painful than childbirth without medication.

Lying on my back to deliver with the epi did some damage to my tailbone which has never been the same since.

Laboring without drugs was much easier if you have access to water--a bath tub will do, a shower helps, but a big tub is the best! You don't have to give birth in the water for it to help--I only stayed in until I wanted to get out, which was about when I needed to push. You can't do that with an epi.

I recovered sooo much faster from the unmedicated birth. With my epi birth, I had a 4th degree tear (the worst kind--all the way through the rectum). With my unmedicated birth, a tiny nick that required about 2 stitches was all I had--and that was after the damage from the 4th degree tear was already there.

So--I say, go for the unmedicated birth--but prepare, prepare, prepare--take a Bradley Method class or a hypnobirthing class. Don't rely on the hospital class--it won't help you have an unmedicated birth. Read something like Ina May Gaskin's book or Peggy O'Mara's Natural Childbirth book. What to expect books generally left me fearful and unsure, the others empowered me to actually do it!

Good luck, Mama!
nursingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Yes, look into Hynopbabies/Hynobirthing.

I am reading the Hypnobirthing book now, and I'd recommend it to ANY pregnant woman. There is just A LOT to learn. It amazed me actually!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
Chickie.xOx
Registered Users

My Mood:

I will be doing natural as long as I can, then Epi here I come!!!

Loving : Wife & Mommy to 2 Princesses Aug 06' & July 08'
2Angels in Heaven
Chickie.xOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*

Last edited by AcrossTheUniverse; 07-19-2011 at 08:25 PM.
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did mine without the epidural. It was not that bad. I didn't want the epidural since it could slow labor down and that could lead to a c-section. I didn't want to spend all that time recovering from a c-section. Because I didn't have an epi, I was able to push while squatting and it really, really, really sped the pushing process up when I did that. It was my mindset that helped. I was very relaxed. I couldn't imagine having an epidural, since somebody I know is paralyzed from an epidural used almost 20 years ago. I didn't even sign the permission slip for the anesthesiologist once I got there. I did deliver on my back because I was exhausted, and yes, I had a small tear. But it worked out alright. I suggest waiting until you're there to decide to have an epidural.
LauraI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #18
amberlina
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingmama View Post
Well, I'm one of those mamas who has had: appendicitis, a birth with an epidural, and a drug-free birth, so I hope this will be helpful!

Appendicitis and an appendectomy in my memory was wayyyy more painful than childbirth without medication.

Lying on my back to deliver with the epi did some damage to my tailbone which has never been the same since.

Laboring without drugs was much easier if you have access to water--a bath tub will do, a shower helps, but a big tub is the best! You don't have to give birth in the water for it to help--I only stayed in until I wanted to get out, which was about when I needed to push. You can't do that with an epi.

I recovered sooo much faster from the unmedicated birth. With my epi birth, I had a 4th degree tear (the worst kind--all the way through the rectum). With my unmedicated birth, a tiny nick that required about 2 stitches was all I had--and that was after the damage from the 4th degree tear was already there.

So--I say, go for the unmedicated birth--but prepare, prepare, prepare--take a Bradley Method class or a hypnobirthing class. Don't rely on the hospital class--it won't help you have an unmedicated birth. Read something like Ina May Gaskin's book or Peggy O'Mara's Natural Childbirth book. What to expect books generally left me fearful and unsure, the others empowered me to actually do it!

Good luck, Mama!

Thank you! that is really helpful!

Since I already have tailbone damage I am afraid the forced position of the weight on it through the epidural will be really detrimental in the long run. I think I will probably want to be comfy in the birthing bed, though i want to be able to use that bar thing they attach to it to allow you to push/squat while in bed with leverage, which the epidural wouldnt allow. I also want to be comfy how I want to, not how have to be...I hadnt really thought about the tailbone thing until i was playing with my dog today and pivoted my hips and felt the pain in it. usually sitting/laying certain ways hurts it and since being pregnant has gotten more sensitive.

Appendicitus was extremely terrible. I hope what you said is true. If so I can definately handle it unmeddicated. I just talked to my mother and asked her a bunch of questions. She said she has honestly had toothaches worse than some of the labor pains. haha. she had an epi with me, but not with my younger brother--he came too fast-- she also said the 12 hours she was in labor with me prior to getting the epi werent that hard, that she could have done it, but she was so tired from not sleeping for days that when the time came she went for it...

unfortunately the hospital where i will be for the birth is under construction on the labor and delivery floor because they are expanding their NICU bed room and apparently the sacrifice is the birthing tub. but most rooms have showers in there (i can always ask to be put in a room that has one for sure, instead of in the hallway outside the door) and most have rocking chairs which the nurse and OB told me that sometimes the rhythmic rocking helps...

im very interested in hypnobirthing, but im going to have to just get a simple book of some sort to read and get into. i cannot afford to spend $150 on the "setup" on the website because some of the financial strain we are under at the present (im not working, its a long story)

thanks all of you keep those stories and advice coming! i like reading everyones different experiences! im glad i have this site as a "resource" as im going through this "alone"... all my friends for the most part (save for one who is older and on her 2nd pregnancy) are my age and are in no way about to have kids (im 22)
Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #19
babyholic
Registered Users

You can labor in the tub or even a birth pool at home until you are in active labor and ready to go to the hospital. The worst thing is to go in when you are still in early labor and have to wait. The longer they have to wait, the more they want to push pitocin and other things to "speed you up." That whole 5 minutes apart for an hour thing is a general suggestion. I would wait till the contractions are hard enough that you can't talk during them and you aren't "happy" anymore. lol I know how tempting it is to rush in as soon as you know you're in labor, but let me tell you, that's a mistake!

One thing you can do for the hypnosis thing is to google "guided imagery" and make a script for yourself that you can record and playback as your personal hypnobaby cd/tape.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #20
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

If you already have tailbone issues you are not going to want to give birth laying on your back like most hospitals make you do (for convience of the OB) so I would make sure to take the hospital about this ahead of time... If you have an epi you will be in this position b/c you will be hooked up to a ton of stuff to monitor you and well you won't be able to move! So keep that in mind as well

Also, I read the "what to expect" book w/ ds1 and it made me sooo parnoid that my DH ended up throwing it away. Yes, he hated that book. So w/ this pregnancy he let me spend a good amount building up a library of books that would educate me and not scare me. I will get you a list of recomended reading when ds isn't asleep on me.
The one I really enjoyed reading so far is "Birthing from Within" I'd highly recomend it as well.
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote