Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Re: What size CD's to get for a newborn? I'm new to CD'ing.

Unless you have a very large - 9 lb+ baby - the smalls will be gigantic for at least a few weeks. You'll either want to plan to use disposables until the smalls fit or buy newborn sized.

If you are on a budget and wanting to save money then pockets are not the way to go. To wash every other day with a baby two months and younger you will need at *least* two dozen diapers.

If you buy your pockets on FSOT you can get them for $10 each - so that's $240 for just the diapers. Then you'll need inserts, let's say you use prefolds which are the cheapest type of insert, that's another $30-40 for the prefolds. So you'll spend almost $300 on size small diapers - that's not even counting the newborn size, b/c you'll need two dozen at least of those and it's not cost effective to do pockets on a newborn.

Now if you go with prefolds and covers, you can get two and a half dozen infant prefolds brand new for less than $50 (you can get them used for much cheaper), two snappis for $5, and six to seven newborn covers and six to seven small covers on here for $100 or less total depending on which kind you choose. That's $150 give or take for diapering products (throw in another $40-50 for cloth wipes - will save you $$ in the long run vs. using disposable wipes). And a wet bag or two for another $20. So for a little over $200 you can have a complete stash for up to 15 lbs. My DS is almost 6 months old and still wears his size small covers - mediums are huge on him.

And honestly, i don't like pockets as much - they are not as leak-proof/poop-explosion-proof as prefolds+covers. There is a learning curve to folding them - but you'll figure it out within a week or less and be a pro at it. We used prefolds from the start and are glad we did.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit. Pockets are good too and i know people who love them, but they're not the way to go if you need to save $$.

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #12
chunkymonkey'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquelita
Pockets are good too and i know people who love them, but they're not the way to go if you need to save $$.
Love Pockets...Definitely not the cost effective route I would never want to admit how much I have spent on my sons newborn stash

We have only had 1 blowout though that wasn't contained by the dipe
Old 09-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #13
J3nn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey'smomma
Love Pockets...Definitely not the cost effective route I would never want to admit how much I have spent on my sons newborn stash

We have only had 1 blowout though that wasn't contained by the dipe

But they are still far cheaper than sposies and have an awesome resale value. So you will still save a ton of money if that is the route you go. I would check the FSOT section and ebay. I got some great deals on XS FBs on ebay and I should be able to sell them for what I paid when this baby outgrows them.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #14
Hillbilly Bunny
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't like the KL0 they were my least favorite. They were way too bulky and the rise was just too short for my chubby thighed little girl! IMO

I loved NB Mutts, RighteousBaby FLAMs, and XS Sandies. Nikky covers were my favorite and I also like ME Airflows, but those were alittle baggy, but super workhorse covers!

I had 2 XS FB and liked those, too I probably would have bought more, but Zoe was 8lbs 9oz 21 1/2 inches long with chubby thighs so she only wore those for a month!

Oh, don't worry too much about how long they wear the diapers because you can always sell them for about 80% of what you bought them for Oh, and fitteds will be easier to sell then used prefolds because those are sooo cheaper and heavier.

I had about 36 fitteds with 6 covers and I never had a blowout. I washed every third day

Last edited by Hillbilly Bunny; 09-09-2006 at 07:23 AM.
Hillbilly Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #15
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3nn
But they are still far cheaper than sposies and have an awesome resale value.
They're not cheaper than disposies for newborn and small sizes (if you compare the cost of disposables you'd buy in that time vs. how much you'd spend on pockets - including resale value). It's in size medium/large/petite toddler that you see cost savings, or if you use pockets for multiple kids.

But particularly for newborn size cloth you don't save $$ at all (even with reselling) - the best you can do is break even with disposies and that's if you use prefolds + inexpensive covers, but even that can be hard to do if your baby only stays in newborn size for a couple weeks.

(I have a whole huge spreadsheet of how much i've spent on each particular size of diapers, including resale, and how long they were in each size, so i'm seeing where cd'ing does save $$ and where it doesn't).

Last edited by Raquelita; 09-09-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Raquelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 AM   #16
J3nn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
They're not cheaper than disposies for newborn and small sizes (if you compare the cost of disposables you'd buy in that time vs. how much you'd spend on pockets - including resale value). It's in size medium/large/petite toddler that you see cost savings, or if you use pockets for multiple kids.

But particularly for newborn size cloth you don't save $$ at all (even with reselling) - the best you can do is break even with disposies and that's if you use prefolds + inexpensive covers, but even that can be hard to do if your baby only stays in newborn size for a couple weeks.

(I have a whole huge spreadsheet of how much i've spent on each particular size of diapers, including resale, and how long they were in each size, so i'm seeing where cd'ing does save $$ and where it doesn't).
I dont know what you mean.
I know exactly how much I spent on sposies for my son (didnt CD him till a year) and how much I spent on a years worth of CD for the new baby and it is a HUGE savings. That is without considering the resale.
I spent about $1200 in sposies before I switched to CD. I have spent far less than that on an entire birth to PT stash for this baby which includes my 15 month old DS until he is PT. Then I can sell them for about 80% of what I paid. HUGE savings.

Last edited by J3nn; 09-09-2006 at 08:13 AM.
J3nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #17
Hillbilly Bunny
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:

I used sposies on DS until he was 7 weeks old and I was spending $70 every week!!! I also had a bag at my mother's home, too! Plus I was always running out and having to get my colicy newborn and I(c-section) ready just to go to the store to pick up sposies!!! Not fun at all!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #18
CTH3989
Registered Users
seller

OMG! I am so confused! I'm really afraid to use a prefold because I don't know how to fold them. I think I will try the Kissaluv 0's as soon as I get some money. I only have 3 dipes that I know will probably fit him. The other's will be too big. So I just need to buy about 21 more dipes that are newborn or XS. I think I've got it. Thanks so much ladies, I will still enjoy the opinons.

Chelci
CTH3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #19
J3nn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought my KL0s from Kellys closet. SHe does a layaway program so you might want to do that if you dont have all the money yet. I chose to pay it in 2 months, but she can do 4 months or work with you on what is most convenient.

www.kellyscloset.com
Old 09-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #20
sewingmama2005
Banned
seller

NB sizes generally sell for REALLY close to what they cost new because they're used so little. I had a variety of different brands of NB and most fit to about 6-8 weeks before we needed smalls (around 12lbs or so). I know www.tykiediapers.com offers a deal on a dozen diapers and layaway, there are other CD stores that have prefolds and pockets that do layaway as well, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. (maybe Kelly's Closet, is she still around?) It's been a while since I bought NB anything, but if I remember correctly I spent about 150-200.00 on NB diapers and sold them for almost what I paid for them, and that allowed me to buy larger diapers with very little money added to that. Cost savings or not, I would NOT put disposable anything on my child's behind, they are laden with chemicals that are being linked to UTIs in girls and infertility in boys, not to mention the non-biodegradeable GARBAGE EEEWWWW!!! More than 1/3 of our nations land fills are DIAPERS!!!!
sewingmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote