Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #21
sewingmama2005
Banned
seller

Re: What size CD's to get for a newborn? I'm new to CD'ing.

Oh and one last thing, if you have a washer/dryer you can get by with just 12-16 diapers, I did with my first dd, I had to wash every night, but when money is tight you do what you have to.

Advertisement

sewingmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #22
CTH3989
Registered Users
seller

Thank you sewingmama! I might have to have just 12-15 dipes because I am very short on cash. I could handle washing every day. Thanks for the idea.
CTH3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #23
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquelita
Unless you have a very large - 9 lb+ baby - the smalls will be gigantic for at least a few weeks. You'll either want to plan to use disposables until the smalls fit or buy newborn sized.

If you are on a budget and wanting to save money then pockets are not the way to go. To wash every other day with a baby two months and younger you will need at *least* two dozen diapers.

If you buy your pockets on FSOT you can get them for $10 each - so that's $240 for just the diapers. Then you'll need inserts, let's say you use prefolds which are the cheapest type of insert, that's another $30-40 for the prefolds. So you'll spend almost $300 on size small diapers - that's not even counting the newborn size, b/c you'll need two dozen at least of those and it's not cost effective to do pockets on a newborn.

Now if you go with prefolds and covers, you can get two and a half dozen infant prefolds brand new for less than $50 (you can get them used for much cheaper), two snappis for $5, and six to seven newborn covers and six to seven small covers on here for $100 or less total depending on which kind you choose. That's $150 give or take for diapering products (throw in another $40-50 for cloth wipes - will save you $$ in the long run vs. using disposable wipes). And a wet bag or two for another $20. So for a little over $200 you can have a complete stash for up to 15 lbs. My DS is almost 6 months old and still wears his size small covers - mediums are huge on him.

And honestly, i don't like pockets as much - they are not as leak-proof/poop-explosion-proof as prefolds+covers. There is a learning curve to folding them - but you'll figure it out within a week or less and be a pro at it. We used prefolds from the start and are glad we did.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit. Pockets are good too and i know people who love them, but they're not the way to go if you need to save $$.

we started at 2 months and still some of the smalls were too big or just really bulky. Of course our son was born a little early and also gainned on the slower side but next time I am going to use prefolds and a few prefitteds I have. We trifolded the prefolds (just folding them in thirds) and layed them in the cover. Its so much easier than stuffing a pocket IMO. And then you don't have to pull the wet inserts out either. We used proraps which aren't cute but then neither is poo on his clothes which happened everytime he pooed en sposies, but nothing got passed those. I found fitteds didn't absorb as much as the trifolded prefolds but they are a lot cuter.
Next time we are going to do prefolds and maybe a more aios (q'leros)
but if you are set on pockets you might check out jenn's diapers and other wahm pockets to find them more reasonably.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #24
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Don't be afraid of prefolds - www.diaperpages.com has instructions on how to fold them. maybe just get one or two infants size (one 4x6x4 and one 4x8x4) and a snappi to try them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3nn
I dont know what you mean. I know exactly how much I spent on sposies for my son (didnt CD him till a year) and how much I spent on a years worth of CD for the new baby and it is a HUGE savings. That is without considering the resale.
Maybe disposables are cheaper by me? Everyone i know who uses disposables spends $30-$40/month for diapers. I have no idea how Hillbillybunny could spend $70 per week on them! (A package of 56 newborn sposies is $6 at Walmart for White Cloud - that's .10 per diaper, or $1.00-$1.20/day assuming you change 10-12 times. For the month its $35.)

And i fully agree there is a huge savings overall with cloth! Just not in the beginning - savings doesn't really start until you're in a size your baby will wear for months and months (like mediums), not weeks (like newborn).

I love cloth, i don't have a single disposable in my house, and its worth it to me to spend the extra $$ to use it from the start with my newborn. I know the extra $$ for newborn stuff will be balanced by how much we'll save with larger sized cloth.

Last edited by Raquelita; 09-09-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Raquelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #25
J3nn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately for us, the only sposies that worked for my son were Pampers Swaddlers and Cruisers. We tried all the cheap brands, so I guess that is why we are saving a ton.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #26
Hillbilly Bunny
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquelita
Don't be afraid of prefolds - www.diaperpages.com has instructions on how to fold them. maybe just get one or two infants size (one 4x6x4 and one 4x8x4) and a snappi to try them out.

Maybe disposables are cheaper by me? Everyone i know who uses disposables spends $30-$40/month for diapers. I have no idea how Hillbillybunny could spend $70 per week on them! (A package of 56 newborn sposies is $6 at Walmart for White Cloud - that's .10 per diaper, or $1.00-$1.20/day assuming you change 10-12 times. For the month its $35.)

And i fully agree there is a huge savings overall with cloth! Just not in the beginning - savings doesn't really start until you're in a size your baby will wear for months and months (like mediums), not weeks (like newborn).

I love cloth, i don't have a single disposable in my house, and its worth it to me to spend the extra $$ to use it from the start with my newborn. I know the extra $$ for newborn stuff will be balanced by how much we'll save with larger sized cloth.
I was using Huggies brand(fit better and less blow outs) and my ds hated to be wet at all so I was changing him probably every hour and he was pooping constantly! Once I switched to cloth he was a much happier baby! Oh, Huggies newborn 120ct is around $40

Oh, and I didn't switch to cloth for the money. I hated those nasty sposies! Those chemical jelly beads got all over him and was hard to wipe off, too!

Last edited by Hillbilly Bunny; 09-09-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Hillbilly Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #27
J3nn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hated those jelly beads. I am so glad I switched. I just wish I had sooner.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #28
CTH3989
Registered Users
seller

@ Raquelita, that site you gave me was great! It just about persuaded me to get prefolds and covers. All I have to do is tri-fold the prefold and lay it in a cover? That is so easy!! I can definitely try that! Maybe if I can find a good deal I will be 12-18 prefolds and 6-10 covers. YAY! I found something I think will really work. BTW, how does this work for your husbands? Is it simple enough for them?

Chelci
CTH3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #29
kgsd
Registered Users
seller

I haven't read through all the posts but I disagree with some of the previous posters. My daugher was 8 1/2 lbs at birth and she fit into small FBs right away. (We used those, PFs and KL0s.) I figured that if she didn't fit into those, we'd use disposables because we didn't want to spend money on NB sizes and only be able to use them a short time.

You can kinda predict how big your baby will be by how big you and the father were at birth. My husband and I were both fairly big babies so I figured we'd be safe with smalls.

If you're trying to save money, I'd just get smalls and buy a small package of disposables if the baby turns out to be too small at first.

My husband can fold a PF but prefers pockets. (He does 75% of the diapering because he's a SAHD.)
kgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #30
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Glad the site was helpful . I'd advise getting just a few prefolds and one or two covers until you know if they work for you or not - different things work for different babies. My DH uses prefolds no problem, even folding with a snappi. I like folding and snapping b/c it keeps poop contained better, but lots of moms like trifolding and laying in a cover .