Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
sherbetarchitect
Registered
seller

Freaked about second hand pump

I bought a used pump from fsot and it came in the box - obviously opened but didn't look used. I just got finished reading some article about used pumps and the DANGERS there-in. Am a little freaked - advice? Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
patcheskitty
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Freaked about second hand pump

Probably depends on what type of pump. Manual ones you can take apart and boil to death, electric not so much. I used a used pump, but it was used by my aunt (A Medela PIS..her SIL used it as well, but that was it) and she said that she had NEVER seen milk go into the tubing and boiled all the plastic pieces. I did the same when I got it and had no problems and never saw the milk go anywhere near the tubing either. To each their own on this one though!
patcheskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
bgb699
Registered Users

My Mood:

What kind of pump is it? Most hand pumps are easily sanitized, and the electric ones you can get new tubing for. I don't think I would have a problem buying a used pump as long as I knew I could either sterilize or replace the parts.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
pbjmama
Registered Users

If I was going to buy a used pump the only kind I would consider would be a hand pump...that said, I probably wouldn't do it. I would shop around and just get the best deal I could. I think I got the Medela harmony on sale for $27.99?

Just reread your OP. I was thinking you were buying a 2nd pump that was a manual "hand" pump. Now I'm thinking you just meant that you are the 2nd owner. As I'm sure you read in the article, breast pumps are meant to be single user devices. I haven't ever seen a confirmed case of spreading disease through pumps but personally I would not use one.

Last edited by pbjmama; 04-12-2008 at 08:01 PM.
pbjmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
Skittlegirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I bought a second-hand electric pump and the milk never goes anywhere near the pump. The tubing is just to provide suction. I bought brand new tubing and breastshields, and have had no problems with it.
Skittlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlegirl View Post
I bought a second-hand electric pump and the milk never goes anywhere near the pump. The tubing is just to provide suction. I bought brand new tubing and breastshields, and have had no problems with it.

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would buy new parts.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gave one of my teenage patients a manual Medela b/c she couldn't afford a pump. I just boiled it all thoroughly before giving it to her. She never had any problems and neither of us ever saw any milk in the tubing.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
sherbetarchitect
Registered
seller

Well the thing is it is a medela single hand electric pump. There is no tubing involved. I really can't fathom how bacteria could even get into the electric part with the way it's constructed. I'm going to not worry about it.

Thanks all!
Old 04-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

Just buy new parts or boil them. I have PIS that my bf will buy later on so when I had thrush I didn't use it just in case but I really don't see how it could get in either... DH says it is just a way for them to cover their butts and make more money. I wanted to buy his cousin's PIS off her and she wouldn't sell it b/c it said not to so she is just going to throw it away Oh, she only used it about 10 times...
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote