Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
debdebdebby13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is this possible?

A friend just found out she's PG. This will be her third baby. She stopped nursing after only a week with one of her older sons because his ped. told her he had breastfeeding induced jaundice??

He was jaundiced when he went home from the hospital, and they just told her sunshine etc. would help. She took him back the next week and he was still just as jaundiced as before, and they said it was because of her BM. They had her completely stop nursing and start giving formula exclusively. They didn't even want her to pump because they said it was her BM that was causing the jaundice. She was told to do that for a week. Well his jaundice went away, but after a full week of not nursing, he didn't want anything to do with it, and her milk had started to dry up.

I personally have never heard of anything like that in my life. I've always thought if a baby was jaundiced you nursed MORE, not less...I'm just questioning whether or not her ped. gave her whacky information. I'd love for her to have a successful BFing relationship with her baby on the way, and I want to provide her with good info.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this possible?

breastfed babies can have higher rates of jaundice, but it doesn't CAUSE it. My littlest one had jaundice at birth that got worse the first week or so, we had to get his levels checked daily. They suggested formula and we said no. I think the main thing is that feeding is the quickest way to help get jaundice out, and since breastmilk takes a few days to come in, you know? But as soon as my milk came in, and days of aggressive sunshine, the jaundice faded pretty quickly. Definitely not a reason to STOP nursing.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
one_lucky_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also have never heard of such a thing. Nursing more as well along with sunlight is what I've known as well.
http://www.drgreene.com/21_100.html
http://www.bflrc.com/newman/handouts...7-Jaundice.htm
Don't know how reliable these sites are, but I was curious after I read this and read some of the info these two sites provided. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
debdebdebby13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's what I've always heard as well. It might take longer to go away because of the delay in milk production but it doesn't outright cause jaundice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naivete View Post
breastfed babies can have higher rates of jaundice, but it doesn't CAUSE it. My littlest one had jaundice at birth that got worse the first week or so, we had to get his levels checked daily. They suggested formula and we said no. I think the main thing is that feeding is the quickest way to help get jaundice out, and since breastmilk takes a few days to come in, you know? But as soon as my milk came in, and days of aggressive sunshine, the jaundice faded pretty quickly. Definitely not a reason to STOP nursing.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
ChunkiBunz Diaperz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well im not sure about the jaundice but if she wanted to she could get him into nursing again. when my son was in the hospital over xmas i wasnt able to hold him for 5 days and i couldnt nurse him either. he could barely drink out of a bottle and he just had to suffer. when i started nursing him agian he was very frustrated but he finally got the hang of it again.
if she keeps trying it will be the norm again soon.

Check out River City Boutique -Blog & HC You can Fan me at the bottom of my HC
NWI Natural Family Living Fair 8-2010-Blog & Fan Page more info to come
[/FONT]
ChunkiBunz Diaperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of my 4 kids have had some degree of jaundice. My youngest son was in the NICU, not directly b/c of the jaundice, but b/c of his Hirschsprung's Disease (which probably made the jaundice worse.) His jaundice was serious enough that he had to be on the bili blanket and under the bili lights. But, he needed that because he was not able to eat for part of the time b/c of his other medical issues. When he was able to eat, he had nothing but EBM, never did they suggest that he needed formula instead of EBM.

After being in the NICU for almost 5 weeks, where they only wanted him to have EBM in bottles, I had a tough time getting him to the breast. But, I stopped bottles completely and supplemented at the breast and pumped after feedings to get him back nursing, and it worked. Months later when a bottle was offered, he didn't want it and never took one again. Babies are creatures of habit in a lot of ways.

I think that was bad advice and I suggest your friend do her research in advance (especially if she has the same pediatrician.)
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote